Old 11-09-2003, 01:02 PM
chris

Default gardens to visit in winter Northern UK

HI,

Can I have some recommendations on gardens worth visiting in
Northumberland, tyneside, teeside and durham, maybe even north yorks.

from now until about march.

I would like to keep looking for inspiration over the winter and my
wife and I have enjoyed our first year of visitng centres.

Chris
Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , chris
writes
HI,

Can I have some recommendations on gardens worth visiting in
Northumberland, tyneside, teeside and durham, maybe even north yorks.

Alnwick and Cragside.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , chris
writes
HI,

Can I have some recommendations on gardens worth visiting in
Northumberland, tyneside, teeside and durham, maybe even north yorks.

Alnwick and Cragside.

Cragside has the added interest of being the first private house to have
electricity.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , chris
writes
HI,

Can I have some recommendations on gardens worth visiting in
Northumberland, tyneside, teeside and durham, maybe even north yorks.

Alnwick and Cragside.

Chris did say that he was looking for inspiration. Any ideas he might
acquire at Alnwick will be too expensive for ordinary mortals to execute.
{:-))

Notwithstanding that disadvantage, Alnwick is most certainly worth a visit.

Franz

Old 11-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Tony

having visited alnwick on several occasions this year,if you cannot take an
iota of inspiration from the gardens, regardless of the cost, then you
should just apply decking or patios to your gardens! many new plants have
entered my domain this year on the back of my visits to the gardens and i
look forward to several more visits before the year is out, and at 4 pounds
entry it is a delightfully cheap day out. happy gardening and good luck.
m...

Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
Alnwick and Cragside.

I haven't seen Cragside in winter. What's to be seen there during that
season? The arboretum?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Jane Ransom
writes
Alnwick and Cragside.

I haven't seen Cragside in winter. What's to be seen there during that
season? The arboretum?

I imagine that the whole area is worth looking at. It is truly
magnificent and the lakes and woods would be super at any time of year
Must look in my book to see if it opens all year round.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Eddie G0EHV

Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , chris
writes
HI,

Can I have some recommendations on gardens worth visiting in
Northumberland, tyneside, teeside and durham, maybe even north
yorks.

Alnwick and Cragside.

Cragside has the added interest of being the first private house to
have electricity.

Dont forget the walled garden at Wallington.
Regards,
Eddie

Old 22-09-2003, 10:33 PM
chris

Well I finally went to Wallington Walled Garden in Northumberland.

Why can't I get my garden to look like that...

Very nice place, look forward to seeing the house open next year(with
house closed why was entry still full price?), great forest walk, nice
coffee and cakes in the expensive as usual cafe you get in these
places. People on site very polite freindly and informative.

Plant sales pretty naff, maybe they dont know you can still plant in
the Autumn.

Just a shame the National Trust's web site had the wrong date for the
Conservation Event(they said 21st on the site but it was in fact the
20th so we missed it..bummer..).

Fab action man type play area in the forest.

Caught sight of some squirrels.

Stole some sunflower seeds..they were on the ground..honest officer.

Cool Walled Garden, lots of plant, shame I could only get into one of
the three conservatories. The one I did get into was small but totally
packed out with some very nice plant.

All in all, a great place, better in some ways than Belsay Hall which
is just down the road.

Look forward to going in the spring next year....

Chris

Old 22-09-2003, 10:47 PM
chris

[...]

Beautiful gardens in Northern Calif. winery Wine Lover Gardening 0 07-10-2004 05:02 PM
Article wanted on gardens to visit in W. Wales Bill Stewart United Kingdom 2 16-09-2003 11:12 PM
[IBC] Longwood Gardens visit David J. Bockman Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 12:37 AM
Longwood Gardens visit Pardes Bonsai 1 25-01-2003 02:53 PM
nurserys / gardens near Bristol to visit Jill United Kingdom 12 20-01-2003 10:28 AM