Old 15-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Ron

Default Blackfly

Group,

Some while ago there was much posted about blackfly and what was termed an
old wives' tale concerning ants. There were even people who professed to
have studied blackfly and ants enough to be able to refute the old wives'
tale.

But enough of ants, what about wasps?

Much has been posted lately about wasps and some have said they should be
exterminated.

But hold on, yesterday evening whilst watering my runner beans I witnessed
something which might make some think twice in wasps' extermination. A wasp
was "doing the rounds" of my runner beans so I stopped watering and watched.
The jasper (Cornish name for a wasp) buzzed from leaf to leaf to plant to
flower to . . . obviously looking for something. Eventually it found a
blackfly siezed it and flew off. No wonder my beans have so few blackfly.
I could not understand why they didn't but now I know!

Oh! Sir Jasper: do not kill him!

Regards

Ron

Old 13-07-2004, 08:06 AM
sarah

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , "hillier"

writes:
| My runner and french beans are infested with blackfly. Soapy water and
| derris liquid have not had a lot of success and although there are lots
| of ladybirds this year, they can't cope either. Do I leave them alone,
| pull all the plants up or can anyone sugest a different treatment,
| please.

I use Savona (horticultural soft soap), and it works. But you
have to soak the blackfly, so spraying by hand, close up and
under all leaves is essential. If you do that, and it failed,
try again, but perhaps with a slightly stronger solution. Also,
it works better if it is followed by some warm, dry weather, to
shrivel the beggars up.

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.
Old 13-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
sarah wrote:

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

Effectively online (e.g. by telephone). Green Gardener (though they
are not allowed to list it in their catalogue, for bureaucratic and
monopolistic reasons) or Tuckers (Devon). Either will post a litre,
which lasts for ages.

I don't know if it is any good at eliminating nits from children's
hair, but it probably is, though it isn't licensed for that. Anyway,
it is just soap solution, so is pretty harmless to humans.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:17 PM
sarah

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
sarah wrote:

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

Effectively online (e.g. by telephone). Green Gardener (though they
are not allowed to list it in their catalogue, for bureaucratic and
monopolistic reasons) or Tuckers (Devon). Either will post a litre,
which lasts for ages.

Thanks for that -- I'll try it.

I don't know if it is any good at eliminating nits from children's
hair, but it probably is, though it isn't licensed for that. Anyway,
it is just soap solution, so is pretty harmless to humans.

My old copy of _Organic Gardening_ suggests the use of a nicotine
solution (from soaked cigarette filters) to dilute the soap if you want
something really vicious.

regards
sarah

Old 14-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Diane Epps

"sarah" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
sarah wrote:

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

Effectively online (e.g. by telephone). Green Gardener (though they
are not allowed to list it in their catalogue, for bureaucratic and
monopolistic reasons) or Tuckers (Devon). Either will post a litre,
which lasts for ages.

Thanks for that -- I'll try it.

I have in the past used a mix that is made of boiled up rhubarb leaves which
have been strained through a pair of tights. I then add a couple of drops
of washing up liquid to aid the wetting capacity. I believe there are legal
issues with this as it constitutes manufacturing pesticide on domestic
premises!!!!

Old 14-07-2004, 02:17 AM
RichardS

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , "hillier"

writes:
| My runner and french beans are infested with blackfly. Soapy water

and
| derris liquid have not had a lot of success and although there are

lots
| of ladybirds this year, they can't cope either. Do I leave them

alone,
| pull all the plants up or can anyone sugest a different treatment,
| please.

I use Savona (horticultural soft soap), and it works. But you
have to soak the blackfly, so spraying by hand, close up and
under all leaves is essential. If you do that, and it failed,
try again, but perhaps with a slightly stronger solution. Also,
it works better if it is followed by some warm, dry weather, to
shrivel the beggars up.

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

I managed to get a tub of generic soft soap from the local chemists - they
had to order it in though (I was surprised when I went there in the morning,
ordered it, and received a phone call in the afternoon of the same day to
say that it had arrived!)

Not particularly cheap at about £5 for a 500g tub, but it does last for
ages.

It was very, very effective against the blackfly on the broad beans, and
this year since the population was knocked back they haven't returned (so
far...).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 14-07-2004, 12:24 PM
sarah

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
Nick Maclaren wrote:

[-]
[...]

I might try that first; the only place I'd found it was online at Chase
Organics at something like UKP14 per litre. Which seemed a trifle steep.

thanks
sarah

Old 14-07-2004, 12:24 PM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:32:11 +0100, (sarah)
wrote:

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
Nick Maclaren wrote:

[-]
[...]

You could flood the garden/fill the water feature with Fairy liquid
for that.
--
Martin

Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 23-06-2003 09:56 PM
Rhubarb and blackfly. Ron United Kingdom 5 19-06-2003 07:56 AM
Greenfly, Blackfly Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:56 AM
Blackfly/greenfly cure geoff United Kingdom 0 12-04-2003 01:56 PM