Old 16-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Janice

Default Minarette Apples

Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

Old 16-09-2003, 04:24 PM
jane

~
~Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.
~

I've had a minarette Red Windsor for three years now, and it's just
got to the point where I get over 6 apples a year. It's in a 14" pot.
This particular variety turns out to be so early there aren't any
other apples around in flower in my area, and as it's self-sterile
that's a problem. Didn't know this when I bought it! So do your
homework on pollination groups etc.

I don't recommend the variety, but the size, definitely. You do need
to keep them well watered when in pots!!

I bought a Victoria plum a few months ago, to keep it company. No
fruit as yet as it's a bit young. Patience seems to be virtue with
these trees.

You do have to prune them regularly! I found hints on what to do on
the Ken Muir website.

best of luck

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 16-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Robert

Janice wrote:
: Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't
: have space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots
: on the patio. I've also seen some that have two or even three
: different types of fruit on the one tree -- are these any good?
:
: Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

I have an eater, Fiesta (renamed now); a cooker, forget which one; and a
plum, Victoria. The apples are wonderful and the plum in it's third year is
starting to produce. These are in the ground not in pots

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 16-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Chris Stewart

"Janice" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the

patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit

on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

Hi Janice - I've had 2 for the past 3 years - still to get any fruit - I
can't get them to flower at the same time - and there were few bees etc
around this year. !-(
Discovery & greensleeves I think. I agree with Jane that the Ken Muir web
site is good.

Chris S

Old 16-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Dave Painter

"Janice" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the

patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit

on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

Last question first...
Yes you can get 'several' varieties grafted on a single tree.

I have had a number of minarettes, kept them in half barrel sized pots
(huge!)
or pots sunk into ground. Also tried the wick method of ensuring that they
stayed watered.
Not recommended if you spend half your life in one house or at work and half
elsewhere.
Like bonsai these need constant attention, even if you do nothing, they need
to be looked at.

Many varieties need the pollination so I have always had two (or more) of a
variety to overcome this.
Six trees on a fifth floor balcony, magical!

These are great little trees but are not for everyone.

HTH

Dave

Old 17-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:39:26 +0100, Janice wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

There's a company in Ireland that does minature fruit trees. They're not
strictly Minarette form, but are ideal for pot planting. At least 35litre
pots, they say.
They do mail-order, and have been very helpful to me (in Austria).
The prices are at first sight a little hight, but I think are very
reasonable, especially when you count in the fact that they should fruit
next year, so you won't have to wait another 3 years.

Their web site is: www.coronet.ie

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 17-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Peter Goddard

"Janice" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? snip

I had a row of minarettes planted as a hedge dividing the garden. They did
produce a few fruits but really were only decorative when in bloom. Sadly
the goat escaped and had an expensive meal... now we have a mixed buddleja
hedge....
snip
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit

on
the one tree -- are these any good?

I've got a "family tree" on M90 stock (not Minarette) and it is a prolific
fruiter. It produces Bramleys, Cox and James Grieve. If you are strapped for
space they are quite a good bet - the only snag I've found is the differing
rates of growth of the branches. (Cox fastest, then James Grieve, with the
Bramley only half the size).
Since planting the family tree we added single Katy, Ida, Roche pear and
Victoria plum - the Katy in particular is fantastic. (Bright red apples,
early ripening with a crunchy texture eaten straight off the tree - and
terrific flavour). I wouldn't plant another "family tree" if I had space for
separates but it is an excellent option where space is a problem..

Old 21-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Jim W

Janice wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

You can but they do MUCH better in the ground than in pots.. We
inherited a couple of minnarettes from a neighbour who mother ahd been
keeping them in pots. Planted them in the ground at the allotment and
they are now looking the picture of health and fruiting heavily.. If
you do keep them in pots they DO need regualar watering and feeding..
They are trees remember!-)
//
Jim

Minarette apple trees davholla Edible Gardening 2 11-09-2007 08:59 AM
Minarette fruit trees Jayne United Kingdom 2 22-10-2003 07:42 PM
Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM