Old 16-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Bringing seeds from India

Hi,

I wonder if some one could tell me of any problem in bringing seeds from
India for planting.

Rajinder

Old 16-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Philip

Yeah one big problem is if you get caught. You will probably get charged
under the Anti Terrorism legislation.

After you have been found guilty by the customs guy, you will probably be
deported to Guantanamo Bay. But thats OK because there are a few people
there so you wont be too lonely.

Old 17-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Mark Fawcett

"Philip" wrote in message t...
Yeah one big problem is if you get caught. You will probably get charged
under the Anti Terrorism legislation.

After you have been found guilty by the customs guy, you will probably be
deported to Guantanamo Bay. But thats OK because there are a few people
there so you wont be too lonely.

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

I wonder if some one could tell me of any problem in bringing seeds from
India for planting.

Rajinder

A friend of mine recently came back from India and was bringing me
some Alocasia tubers, unfortunatly due to the heat they had started
sprouting when he got back and the customs wouldnt let him bring them
in. Apparently you can generally bring in seeds etc as long as they
are still dormant.
DEFRA have this publication on their website which may help
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/ille...nal_plants.PDF

Mark
Old 17-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Philip" wrote in message

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in

message
Hi,

I wonder if some one could tell me of any problem in bringing seeds from
India for planting.

Rajinder

The rules are
you may bring back
No more than 2Kg of fruit and or cut flower and floliage where made into a
bouquet
No more than 5 retail packets of seed (but not potatoes)
If you wish to bring in more you need Plant health certificates issued in
the country of origin
There are some plant groups covered by cites which are banned so if its rare
best to ask first!
HTH

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-09-2003, 12:42 PM
David Hill

There will also be a difference between picketed seed and collected seed.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-09-2003, 02:34 PM
JennyC

"David Hill" wrote in message
There will also be a difference between picketed seed and collected

seed.
David Hill

Right - members of the Seed Union only then ?
Jenny "~)

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Ophelia

"JennyC" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
There will also be a difference between picketed seed and collected

seed.
David Hill

Right - members of the Seed Union only then ?
Jenny "~)

LOL I must admit that did go through my mind when I read it)

Ophelia

Old 17-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Bob Hobden

Rajinder wrote in message
I wonder if some one could tell me of any problem in bringing seeds from
India for planting.

I've brought back seeds I've collected or been given in India on my trips
there, and from other places too, without any trouble.
Trouble is I then forget where I've put them and to plant them come spring.
:-)

I understand it's OK to bring back a few packets (commercially pre-packed)
of seed.

So what do you intend to try to bring back? There might just be a supplier
locally.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

Do they grow sweet potatoes over there please? I am getting fed up eating
tasteless English Potatoes.

--
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar, M.Sc.
Mussallmaan of Pir Nanak Shah,

This Dark Age is the Age of Al-Islaam of heart and NOT of any Book.
For articles on sister Christian and Sikh communities, visit:-

http://www.nijjhar.freeserve.co.uk/gnostic.htm
http://www.nijjhar.freeserve.co.uk/sikhism.htm

Old 18-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

Do they grow sweet potatoes over there please? I am getting fed up eating
tasteless English Potatoes.

Having (against my usual practice) scrolled down to see where, I can
assure you that the Guantanamo Bay area is quite suitable for growing
sweet potatoes, and with your connections in the travel business I'm
sure you could arrange a ticket to anywhere.

Leave the hijack to Cuba to us.

--
Osama

Old 18-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" writes:

| Do they grow sweet potatoes over there please? I am getting fed up eating
| tasteless English Potatoes.
|
| "Philip" wrote in message
| Yeah one big problem is if you get caught. You will probably get charged
| under the Anti Terrorism legislation.
|
| After you have been found guilty by the customs guy, you will probably be
| deported to Guantanamo Bay. But thats OK because there are a few people
| there so you wont be too lonely.
|
| "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in
| message ...
|
| I wonder if some one could tell me of any problem in bringing seeds from
| India for planting.

Do you mean India or Guantanamo Bay? Do you see why top posting is
a bad idea?

If you are in a position to grow them, there are some much better
tasting varieties. If you have to buy them, go for King Edwards,
which are perhaps the most easily available potato that tastes of
something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2003, 01:57 AM
David Hill

"....On the Isle of Lewis they're still to be found on some crofts, having
survived since the turn of the last century........"

What all of 3 years?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-09-2003, 03:02 PM
DaveDay34

I've brought back seeds I've collected or been given in India on my trips
there, and from other places too, without any trouble.
Trouble is I then forget where I've put them and to plant them come spring.
:-)

I understand it's OK to bring back a few packets (commercially pre-packed)
of seed.

So what do you intend to try to bring back? There might just be a supplier
locally.

--
Regards
Bob

As far as I can understand, you can import/bring back home with you any seeds
that are packed. I believe the idea is that they're sealed and free from
pests/diseases. I think you'll find that (if you ask someone involved with
customs) they'll take a dim view of anyone bringing any old plant or seeds into
many countries around the world. The same goes for many foodstuffs because
diseases that can decimate local crops can be brought into the country in open
foodstuffs. Many airports have bins specifically for passengers to off-load
foodstuffs that aren't sealed and fall within permitted limits. These limits
differ from country to country.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

wanted: info re sending/bringing seeds & plants back in to the U.S. Alicia Plant Biology 0 04-12-2010 10:25 AM
Greenhouse - bringing back into use Sandy United Kingdom 10 14-10-2003 02:22 PM
Bringing in geranium Mceezee Gardening 3 13-10-2003 03:22 PM
[IBC] Bringing in clippings during COLD nights? Tony Busko Bonsai 2 22-04-2003 09:20 PM
Bringing Tropicals In John T. Jarrett Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM