Old 20-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Jonathan Geater

Default Mikado (Syngonathus)

Hello,

My wife recently bought a Mikado (Syngonathus) from IKEA and is wondering
exactly what to do with it. Does anyone here know how to look after it? I
found a German page about it but the babelfish translation wasn't as helpful
as it might have been.

If you're interested, this is what it looks like (not my picture):
http://www.tomasek.cz/obrazky/kytka/mikadoOKLQ.jpeg
There's very little about it on the web - does anyone know it by a different
name?

Any help appreciated.

Jon

Old 11-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Birmingham, UK

I have also bought a Mikado from IKEA! - No idea what it is apart from what it says on the label...just incase yours is missing is states that :-

* It should not be kept in direct sunlight...suitable for the bathroom
* Keep Moist as soil should not be dry.
* Fertilise once-a-month
* Helps to keep the air cleaner.

The reason a bought it is because throught-out my time travelling to France they have a snack called 'Mikado' which are long bread-sticks and a small chocolate drop on the end - Not a million miles away from the appearace of the plant! There is also a game called Mikado which are basically long strands of wood with markings on and you are supposed to drop them at once and take it in turn to pick them up without disturbing the others...You score points according to the markings!

Unfortunatley I have no other info origin of this plant so, please keep me posted if you find out anymore!

Regards,

Paul.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Geater

Old 12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Pam Moore

I am curious about your mysterious plant.

Your picture does not come up; "not found"

I looked on RHS Planfinder and got this list for Mikado.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/PFGenera.asp

Is it any of these?

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered User

This plant is called syngonaNthus mikado. Well, you can find both of the names...
I can't find all the pages you cited, but you can visit the following page for some pictures:

http://ens.ch/ens/herbarium/

This page is german, too. But there is no new information; it's just the IKEA label.

Obviously, it feels quite fine in the bathroom, where it is humidous and not too dark.

Regards - Arthur Dent
Old 12-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered User

Found more...

This plant seems to have quite many names, so look for...

Syngonanthus chrysanthus
Syngonanthus chrysansus
Dupatya chrysantha Kuntze
Eriocaulon chrysanthum Bong.
Paepalanthus chrysanthus. Bras

With the first and the second one you'll be successfull. Try also
http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms...yn-chr-sub.asp

Bye - Arthur

Old 21-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Registered User

Hello Jon,

I hope it's not to late but you can find useful informations on Mikado cultivation here : http://www.anthura.nl/dbweb/download/manmikuk.pdf
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswilletts
Unfortunatley I have no other info origin of this plant so, please keep me posted if you find out anymore!

Regards,

Paul.

My boyfriends mum bought me one today. Check this out!

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20040088769
Old 13-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_Dent View Post
This plant is called syngonaNthus mikado. Well, you can find both of the names...
I can't find all the pages you cited, but you can visit the following page for some pictures:

/*** ens.ch - Herbarium ***/*** ens.ch - Tropical Plants ***/

This page is german, too. But there is no new information; it's just the IKEA label.

Obviously, it feels quite fine in the bathroom, where it is humidous and not too dark.

Regards - Arthur Dent
Anyone know where i can buy one of these trendy little plants from??
Old 13-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore View Post
I am curious about your mysterious plant.

Your picture does not come up; "not found"

I looked on RHS Planfinder and got this list for Mikado.
Genera results RHS Plant Finder / RHS Gardening

Is it any of these?

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam,

First time i heard about that plant. I was also very curious about finding more details about this amazing plant. Looking forward to buy one of these soon and try my luck. I found complete details about this plant and i posted on my blog with few pictures under Garden Plants category. Hope this will helpful.

Steve. London
Old 13-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Geater View Post
Hello,

My wife recently bought a Mikado (Syngonathus) from IKEA and is wondering
exactly what to do with it. Does anyone here know how to look after it? I
found a German page about it but the babelfish translation wasn't as helpful
as it might have been.

If you're interested, this is what it looks like (not my picture):
http://www.tomasek.cz/obrazky/kytka/mikadoOKLQ.jpeg
There's very little about it on the web - does anyone know it by a different
name?

Any help appreciated.

Jon
Hi Jon,

First time i heard about that plant. I was also very curious about finding more details about this amazing plant. Looking forward to buy one of these soon and try my luck. I found complete details about this plant and i posted on my blog with few pictures under Garden Plants category. I home this will helpful.

Steve. London