Old 23-09-2003, 06:44 PM
anne

Default Early frost due???

J C-W wrote in message
news

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
The following is true (I'm a sad soul). At the beginning of the year I

did
small experiment noting forecasts and noting what actually happened

for
my
city over 3 weeks (I got bored after 3 weeks). I collected each

forecast
for
the following day only, no long range stuff. The three sites were

Yahooo,
UK Weather.com and the Met Office. Yahoo had something like a 30%

accuracy,
UK Weather.com were about 40% I think and the Met Office came out tops

with
60 something %. I wish I'd kept the figures now. My conclusion was,

it's
best to look out of the window :-) And... my goodness are they getting

paid
for this??!

That means that Yahoo was far and away the best forecaster. If you
rigorously stuck to the opposite of what they said, you would have had

70%
accuracy.

Franz

Er... somewhat flawed logic - just because it's right for 30% of the time,
does not mean that the opposite is true for 70% since there are so many
meteorological variables (i.e. the opposite could be just as wrong). What
this thread tells us is that for all the technology and super computer
models being used, the predictions are fundamentally flawed because they
rely on basic physical principles and ignore chaos theory, quantum

mechanics
and the insight of a deity. The suggestion of looking out of one's window
or using the old fashioned techniques (pine cones, 'red sky at night...',
feeling in the bones) may prove just as useful and accurate!

Jason

I wished afterwards that I had predicted the weather myself also, to see how
well I would have done. I was going to do the experiment again and before
starting, I was going to put various "possible weathers" into a hat, then
pull them out and add them in advance to each day before beginning the
experiment with the three websites. I never did it though. I don't think I
would have had much chance of a high score doing it this way, but if I'd
predicted it the day before as the forecasters do *and* listened to my
bones, looked at my pine cone and the sky, then I can't see any reason for
not doing as well as the met office's 60 something %. And then, I could have
set up my own weather website could I not?!

I was quite lenient with my experiment by the way. The met office always
predicted higher temperatures than actually materialised, but I let them off
if the weather was correct. The other two seemed better on temperatures but
would predicted rain when the sun shone and visa versa. I considered this
more seriously wrong than the temperature problems and so this is possibly
why they came out with a lower score.

---

Old 23-09-2003, 06:44 PM
anne

Kay Easton wrote in message
In article , anne
writes

The following is true (I'm a sad soul). At the beginning of the year I

did a
small experiment noting forecasts and noting what actually happened for

my
city over 3 weeks (I got bored after 3 weeks). I collected each forecast

for
the following day only, no long range stuff. The three sites were

Yahooo,
UK Weather.com and the Met Office. Yahoo had something like a 30%

accuracy,
UK Weather.com were about 40% I think and the Met Office came out tops

with
60 something %. I wish I'd kept the figures now. My conclusion was, it's
best to look out of the window :-) And... my goodness are they getting

paid
for this??!

Apparently the chance of being right if you forecast tomorrow's weather
as being the same as today's is 67%

Goodness! I'll begin an experiment tomorrow ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 23-09-2003, 07:42 PM

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:01:30 +0100, "J C-W"
wrote:

[...]

Sadly, I've never knowingly been "au fait" with the insight of a deity
..... especially in relation to weather forecasting. In my experience
he/she/it/they always keep(s) me guessing....!! Now.. quantum chaos I
can relate to!
(;-)
Regards
Geoff

Old 23-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Franz Heymann

"J C-W" wrote in message
[...]

Of course. Did you miss the tongue pushing against my cheek?

- just because it's right for 30% of the time,
does not mean that the opposite is true for 70% since there are so many
meteorological variables (i.e. the opposite could be just as wrong).

That is also somewhat flawed logic. If it is right for 30% of the time then
it quite certainly has to be wrong for 70% of the time, unless there are
illogical situations which are neither right nor wrong
{:-))

What
this thread tells us is that for all the technology and super computer
models being used, the predictions are fundamentally flawed because they
rely on basic physical principles and ignore chaos theory, quantum

mechanics
and the insight of a deity.

I doubt if quantum mechanics and a deity play major roles. The main bugbear
is the fact that the weather equations are chaotic.

The suggestion of looking out of one's window
or using the old fashioned techniques (pine cones, 'red sky at night...',
feeling in the bones) may prove just as useful and accurate!

I once had a mammoth South African calendar with one page per day. Each
page had a scene with the caption "It's a sunny day today". It was correct
for
approximately 95% of the days of the year. I never even owned a raincoat
until I went to University.

Franz

Old 23-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

The chaos which makes weather prediction a jocular affair is not
particularly closely connected with quantum effects. It occurs in the
classical weather equations. In fact, it was a study of a classical weather
model which led to the discovery of chaos.

Franz

Old 23-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Martin Sykes
writes
"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
This is one area where I never trust the beeb!
I prefer to get my weather forecast from Yahoo - their local forecasts

are
invariably right.
For example, when I planned to go to Royal Welsh Show (60 miles away)

Yahoo
forecast light rain for my home town, sunny bright in Builth. That's

exactly
what happened. (The Beeb said "rain over South Wales", which would have
stopped me going)
Try http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX1404.html

This site is usually pretty good too and it gives a full 10-day forecast:
http://uk.weather.com/weather/local

It looks like the same selection of locations as the yahoo site, so I
guess they get their data from the same source.

This site is more honest about the accuracy though - eg the Otley data
is 'as reported for Leeds' (a couple of hundred feet lower and in the
next valley) and the Settle (Yorkshire Dales) figures are simple the
Manchester ones.

So although at first sight it looks wonderfully useful for local info,
it is an illusion ;-)

Quite so. The surface of the world is divided into a large number of cells
for doing the calculations for the weather predictions, and these cells are
very much larger than any which those weather URL's pretend to be the case.

Franz

Old 23-09-2003, 10:31 PM
J C-W

wrote:

[...]

You obviously don't subscribe to Prof Sir Roger Penrose's viewpoint on the
undiscovered links between quantum mechanics and macro-scale classical
physics, particularly where those laws break down or fail to be able to
predict observable phenomenon! There are quite a lot of theorists out there
researching this very thing - a quick search on Google brings a lot of them
to the fore (e.g. http://amselvam.tripod.com/ ). But, alas, we are straying
from gardening into another, somewhat off-topic conversation [give myself a
slapped wrist]....

---

Old 24-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Martin Sykes

"J C-W" wrote in message
news
big snip
this thread tells us is that for all the technology and super computer
models being used, the predictions are fundamentally flawed because they
rely on basic physical principles and ignore chaos theory, quantum
mechanics

As I understand modern weather prediction, they acknowledge the existence of
chaos. Chaos does not violate the laws of physics but simply acknowledges
that even simple laws can give rise to complex behaviour which can be
massively influenced by minute variations in the initial state.

To get over this they run millions of simulations with small variations in
the input state. For some states, all simulations run very closely but for
others they diverge quickly. They then use all the simulations to give
statistics like '70% probability of rain' which really means that in 70% of
the simulations it rained and in the other 30% the simulation took a
different course and it remained dry.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes

Old 24-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Those viewpoints of Penrose do not affect the nature of chaos. Chaos is
associated with most (probably all?) those equations of dynamical systems
which are highly non-linear. Quantum mechanics does not have to be
involved. Newton's equations for planetary systems, which predated quantum
mechanics by a few centuries, can have chaotic solutions.

But we are a long, long way from gardening.......................

There are quite a lot of theorists out there
researching this very thing - a quick search on Google brings a lot of

them
to the fore (e.g. http://amselvam.tripod.com/ ). But, alas, we are

straying
from gardening into another, somewhat off-topic conversation [give myself

slapped wrist]....

Two of my colleagues and I were probably the first folk to have investigated
a classical chaotic system before the concept was invented. We were,
however too stupid to recognise what was going on, and ascribed the peculiar
behaviour of our calculations to the results of rounding-off errors in our
mechanical calculator. ( The work predates the availability of solid state
computers by a decade or so)

Urglers, please forgive us for wandering so far from the garden......

Franz

Old 24-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message

"J C-W" wrote in message
news
big snip
[...]

I doubt if they run millions of simulations for one situation. If they did,
it might take them a year to produce tomorrow's forecast Two or three
closely similar cases probably would be enough for them to form a judgement
as to whether they are in a chaotic regime or not.

Franz

Old 24-09-2003, 01:42 PM
John Towill

The most accurate weather forcast I heard (on BBC TV) was
"It may rain at times in places."
Beat that for accuracy if you can.
Cheers
John T

Frost due? Broadback United Kingdom 23 30-05-2007 06:31 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 8 24-02-2004 11:45 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 12:58 AM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 11:58 PM
Early frost due??? - tomatoes Ophelia United Kingdom 0 23-09-2003 07:37 AM