Old 27-05-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost due?

Here near Stoke on Trent in the North Midlands I see that a temperature
of 2 deg C is forecast for Monday night with 4 deg C the next night.
Strong probability of a frost I suspect. Lots of work for me as I have
just planted out my bedding plants and outdoor toms.
Old 27-05-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Here near Stoke on Trent in the North Midlands I see that a temperature of
2 deg C is forecast for Monday night with 4 deg C the next night. Strong
probability of a frost I suspect. Lots of work for me as I have just
planted out my bedding plants and outdoor toms.

The forecast for here is 6C (weatherpulse). Hopefully no frost and the
fleece stuff was rolled up and put away months ago.
I guess you will get away with those cool nights with the bedding plants as
long as the daytime temps are reasonable. Tomatoes are far too tender for me
so I stick to Bananas and Gingers:-)

Old 27-05-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I remember the furore caused when the BBC said there would be, "a touch of
frost" one night. It was summer and a lot of people had forgotten the
programme of David Frost's was called that!!!

Geoff

Old 27-05-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:12:20 GMT, "Geoff" wrote:

I remember the furore caused when the BBC said there would be, "a touch of
frost" one night. It was summer and a lot of people had forgotten the
programme of David Frost's was called that!!!

David Jason, shirley?
--

Martin

No, Martha or is it Shirley. I think Geoff is right. I do remember them
using that terminology a few times and I even remember "Frost on Sunday"

Old 27-05-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 10:31 am, Broadback wrote:
Here near Stoke on Trent in the North Midlands I see that a temperature
of 2 deg C is forecast for Monday night with 4 deg C the next night.
Strong probability of a frost I suspect. Lots of work for me as I have
just planted out my bedding plants and outdoor toms.

Here in sunnyless France (50 kilometres South of Clerrmont Ferrand) we
had a big frost last night and yet today we ate outside at friends at
lunchtime in the sun!!

Our tomatoes are still in their big pots ready to be planted tomorrow,
it's just as well they were put on the south facing wall.

Judith

Old 28-05-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 12:25 pm, Martin wrote:

No floods yet?

Après vous le deluge

Huge inundation of rain, it's fortunate that we are on high ground,
almost on top of a volcano!! I can't make this weather out, today
pouring again but so warm, thunder lightening last night yet at
lunchtime yesterday, we ate outside!!!

I must devise a way to dry my washing as I don't have a tumble drier,
ah penny just dropped, string up a line in the barn!

Judith

Old 28-05-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:26:34 +0100, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:12:20 GMT, "Geoff" wrote:

I remember the furore caused when the BBC said there would be, "a touch
of
frost" one night. It was summer and a lot of people had forgotten the
programme of David Frost's was called that!!!

David Jason, shirley?
--

Martin

No, Martha or is it Shirley. I think Geoff is right. I do remember them
using that terminology a few times and I even remember "Frost on Sunday"

but that isn't what Geoff said.

A Touch of Frost is/was a detective series featuring David Jason.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0108967/
--

Martin

It is indeed a detective thing but I remember the terminology being used
decades ago -and later on there will be a Touch of Frost (big grin from
presenter) with David Frost talking to (any celebrity).

Old 28-05-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 12:41 pm, Martin wrote:
Put it in the traditional bread oven?

We do have a bakehouse attacked to the main house, it has a huge
circular oven with bricks top bottom and sides, if I lit that I could
feed the five thousand!

Judith

Old 28-05-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 5:06 pm, Martin wrote:

I guessed.

How??

If you get enough rain you might get the fishes too :-)
--

I have had panga and lovely it was. For the second course I had
breast of duck, pink, but I had so many glasses of wine by then, that

Bon Nuit Martin

Judith in unsunny France

Old 28-05-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 May, 21:56, "
wrote:
Bon Nuit Martin

Bonne nuit.

Old 29-05-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 10:34 pm, Martin wrote:

I imagined an old French cottage.

Not quite, a 6 bedroom old farmhouse made of Auvergne stone. I love
it, it's not at all posh, we have stone floors downstairs, the kitchen
is vaulted and none of the rooms are square, it's heaven and not only
that, our neighbours are exceptional, they are not as some English
percieve the French, they are warm, loving and welcoming.

The sun is peeking in and out so I can try and sow some lettuce today
without it being washed out of the soil.

Judith

Old 30-05-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 10:31 pm, Martin wrote:

OK I imagined all the old cottages and houses we looked at in Brittany before
deciding we didn't want to live there. All had large bread ovens, cracked walls,
rotting window frames and broken slates on the roof. Few had inside toilets,
running water etc. one had no internal doors. One semi detached house/hovel had
a stream running under/through the abandoned attached house. The owner had moved
to Paris and nobody had heard from him for 20 years.

Ours wasn't much better when we bought it 20 years ago!!!!!
We had some more rain and about 10 minutes of setting sun.

The sun is shining now but the weather forecast for this p.m. is
dire. I've forgotten where you are Martin.

Judith

Old 30-05-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 30, 12:07 pm, Martin wrote:
It's sunny and windy today in ZH today.
--

I might just pop over to warm myself up, I put the wood burnner on
last night and then it got so hot, we nodded off and woke in the early

Tonight, I might dye my grey roots to the champagne colour of my 30's,
natural then, not so natural now and to keep on topic I planted out
lots of veggie today includingsquash, tomato, courgette and I have
sown or is that sewn, mixed lettuce seed.

Judith