Old 28-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb!!!

"Serendipity" wrote in message
news
I've been given a couple of crowns of rhubarb, and as I've never
grown it before, I'd be obliged for any/all tips from the
expert rhubarbologists amongst you.

Put it in the freezer for a couple of days, it'll think it's been frosted
which rhubarb likes.

Alan

Many thanks.

Old 28-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

I think others have covered pretty much everyhing, but let me add from
experience that if the soil gets waterlogged in winter (almost here) :-((
,It may well not reappear next year.

Years ago when we acquired our last garden, there was a year-round bog
at the bottom of a 100yard slope, into which drained 70" pa rainfall
plus the numerous springs oozing out of the peat bog higher up.The only
thing growing in the swamp was rushes and several square yards of
vigorous rhubarb :-).

Janet.

Old 28-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Drakanthus

Years ago when we acquired our last garden, there was a year-round bog
at the bottom of a 100yard slope, into which drained 70" pa rainfall
plus the numerous springs oozing out of the peat bog higher up.The only
thing growing in the swamp was rushes and several square yards of
vigorous rhubarb :-).

Janet.

That makes sense. Its big brother the 'Gunnera' (not sure on the spelling)
is grown as a marginal or bog plant.
You'd sure get a big pie with one of those!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 29-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Kay Easton

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
Years ago when we acquired our last garden, there was a year-round bog
at the bottom of a 100yard slope, into which drained 70" pa rainfall
plus the numerous springs oozing out of the peat bog higher up.The only
thing growing in the swamp was rushes and several square yards of
vigorous rhubarb :-).

Janet.

That makes sense. Its big brother the 'Gunnera' (not sure on the spelling)
is grown as a marginal or bog plant.
You'd sure get a big pie with one of those!

Not so much 'big brother', more 'very distant cousin several times
removed'. Rhubarb is in the dock family, Gunnera in the not at all
closely related water milfoil family. Since the relationship of plants
depends on sex, flower structure is far more relevant than leaf shape
to any classification seeking to replicate the evolutionary history.

And not all Gunnera are large! - I have some seedlings of one species
which doesn't grow above 4 inches.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: