Old 28-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Quince

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message

One of my old fiends (alas, passed away many years ago)

I didn't know that fiends were mortal.

With apologies from Franz

It depends what you hit them with.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Good in tent, or evil in tent? Or just loitering?

I'm always good. Or so I'm told.

Mary

Old 28-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
I am also beginning to think we are talking about two different plants.
Some folk on this thread have talked about quinces as being
(1) Hard as a rock
(2) Pear shaped

The quinces of my youth could be (and were) slaughtered easily with a Boy
Scout's knife. They were only somewhat harder than a firm apple.
They were also not pear shaped at all. More like lumpy spheres of about 8
cm diameter. The lumpiness corresponded to a typical variation in radius
from a true sphere of around +- 5 mm. The surface was woolly, but the wool
rubbed off very easily.

The fruit had a delicious astringent-sweet-acid flavour. The jelly was a
must with lamb.

I've done some googling!

Quince - both the hedging and the fruit - seems to be popular in SA!

The following - from

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/ansample.html

suggests that they don't ripen properly in the UK, and this may be the
cause of the different views of Nick and Franz:

Quinces have long been grown for flavouring apple pies, ices and
confections. In warm temperate and tropical regions, the fruits can
become soft, juicy, and suitable for eating raw; but in cooler temperate
areas like Britain, they do not ripen so far. Here, raw quince fruits
are hard, gritty, harsh and astringent, but after a few weeks of storage
the flesh softens and astringency decreases to a point where some people
find them edible.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Good in tent, or evil in tent? Or just loitering?

I'm always good. Or so I'm told.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
[...]

What a very interesting URL you found!
The illustration of a quince shows what I meant by the lumpy surface. On
the other hand, the ones I knew did not have the pronounced pear-like
elongation at the stalk end. I did notice that the URL was aware of this
deviation.l

suggests that they don't ripen properly in the UK, and this may be the
cause of the different views of Nick and Franz:

Quinces have long been grown for flavouring apple pies, ices and
confections. In warm temperate and tropical regions, the fruits can
become soft, juicy, and suitable for eating raw;

The quinces I knew were more than suitable for eating raw. They were
delicious fruits. However, they never became really soft. They were always
rather
harder than an apple, but it was possible, and common, to eat them simply by
biting at them.

but in cooler temperate
areas like Britain, they do not ripen so far. Here, raw quince fruits
are hard, gritty, harsh and astringent, but after a few weeks of storage
the flesh softens and astringency decreases to a point where some people
find them edible.

Franz

Old 29-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| If FULLY ripe fruit is used for this jelly, then 15 g of citric or tartaric
| acid should be added to give a good set.

Hence my remark about low acid. An even better solution is to use
a mixture of quince and japonica.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| I've done some googling!
|
| Quince - both the hedging and the fruit - seems to be popular in SA!
|
| The following - from
|
| http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/ansample.html
|
| suggests that they don't ripen properly in the UK, and this may be the
| cause of the different views of Nick and Franz:

Yes. I hinted at the ripening aspect when I said some of the
differences could be due to the climatic differences; quinces are
like medlars and several other Mediterranean fruit in not finding
our "summers" adequate.

The aspect that makes me suspect a varietal difference is the
growth pattern.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| If FULLY ripe fruit is used for this jelly, then 15 g of citric or

tartaric
| acid should be added to give a good set.

Hence my remark about low acid. An even better solution is to use
a mixture of quince and japonica.

The problem with leaving it to be fully ripe is that the fruit tends to rot
and/or grow mould. I've found it better to make jam or jelly with it before
it's fully ripe.

I don't use any acid. The jelly I make can be used as a trampoline. Is has
to be cut with a knife to use, the set is so good.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Pickle

t...

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| If FULLY ripe fruit is used for this jelly, then 15 g of citric or

tartaric
| acid should be added to give a good set.

Hence my remark about low acid. An even better solution is to use
a mixture of quince and japonica.

The problem with leaving it to be fully ripe is that the fruit tends to

rot
and/or grow mould. I've found it better to make jam or jelly with it

before
it's fully ripe.

I don't use any acid. The jelly I make can be used as a trampoline. Is has
to be cut with a knife to use, the set is so good.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've just made some quince jelly, 3 tsp of lemon juice to 3 pints of quince
juice produced a good set.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 10 Feb 2004 01:01:00 -0800, Alastair wrote:

My recipe book suggests having it with cold meat. Would anyone care to
elaborate...

Buy a rolled boneless pork roast. The cheapest you can find will
do.

Sear the roast on all sides in a HOT skillet.

Take a heavy casserole with a tight fitting lid, put a rack in
the bottom, add about 1/2 cup of wine vinegar, a few peppercorns,
a bay leaf or two, a few whole allspice berries. Put the seared
roast on the rack (up out of the vinegar), bring to a boil,
reduce heat to the lowest setting, put on the lid, and leave the
house for the day.

When you return, a delicious aroma will fill your house, and the
pork will be tender and delicious.

Eat some while hot, chill the rest, and then use it as an excuse
to spring your quince jelly on your family.

QED

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada