Old 27-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Kim Bewick

Default Apple tree question

Hi everyone
Last year my husband bought an apple tree (I have no idea which variety). It
blossoms beautifully and we had 3 apples on it this year (wow I hear you all
say :-) but they were extremely bitter.
I would like to know if it is a good time to move the tree from it's pot now
as it has reached about 5' in height and seems to be very unhappy now.
Kind Regards
Kim Bewick
(Cardiff, Wales, UK) where we are still having beautifully warm days, but
cold nights.

Old 28-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Robert

"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
: Hi everyone
: Last year my husband bought an apple tree (I have no idea which variety).
It
: blossoms beautifully and we had 3 apples on it this year (wow I hear you
all
: say :-) but they were extremely bitter.
: I would like to know if it is a good time to move the tree from it's pot
now
: as it has reached about 5' in height and seems to be very unhappy now.
: Kind Regards
: Kim Bewick
: (Cardiff, Wales, UK) where we are still having beautifully warm days, but
: cold nights.
:
:
:
: Yes any time in the autumn is a good idea while the ground is warm enough
for the roots to grow. If the roots are all coiled up in the pot you should
tease the ends out of the root ball a bit so that they will grow out into
the soil. A handful or so of bonemeal in the planting hole earth will help
as well and of course lashings of water

Old 29-09-2003, 05:02 PM
J Jackson

Kim Bewick wrote:
: Hi everyone
: Last year my husband bought an apple tree (I have no idea which variety). It
: blossoms beautifully and we had 3 apples on it this year (wow I hear you all
: say :-) but they were extremely bitter.

Maybe you picked them too early. Many people seem to think all apples are
picked at the same time. Different varieties ripen at different times.

: I would like to know if it is a good time to move the tree from it's pot now
: as it has reached about 5' in height and seems to be very unhappy now.

If you are going to plant it out, I'd wait till it dropped its leaves,
it's dormant and you have had a frost, then transplant it

Jim
Old 30-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Philip

Let the leaves drop and the plant go dormant,. Prepare the ground well , by
making sure all perennial weeds are cleared. Enrich the soil with compost,
and provide a decent stake.

Old 30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Kim Bewick wrote:

Last year my husband bought an apple tree (I have no idea which variety). It
blossoms beautifully and we had 3 apples on it this year (wow I hear you all
say :-) but they were extremely bitter.

Depends what you mean by bitter. If you really mean bitter (as opposed
to acid) then you have a cider apple variety! If they were simply acid,
or sour, then they were unripe.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 30-09-2003, 09:32 AM
David Rance

Old 30-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Philip

"Robert" wrote in message ...
"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
[...]

Make sure you water well before removing from the pot. One it will
help you to unravel some of the roots from the pot shaped root ball,
and two it easier to get the water into the root ball while its still
in the pot. I would even consider standing the pot in a tray of water
for a couple of hours, if you can find one large enough.