Old 01-10-2003, 09:42 AM
BAC

Default OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats

"Malcolm Ogilvie" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also

faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the

greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts' are
considered rare.

But that's the other way round. The question was about birds catching
bats.

I know that - I thought the bat eating birds example was more interesting,
on the 'man bites dog' principle :-)

Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message

Them jackdaw's rooks.

Nope. Them Jackdaw's Jackdaws.
There are thousands of them here in South Wales and they are very
distinctive with their glossy black bodies and slate grey hoods.
They feed off my bird table and nest in the copse at the bottom of the
garden.

Jackdaws, flocking? I've seen half a dozen or so , but flocks?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 01-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

A touch of forebearance before presuming to jump in and criticise others'
posting styles would be appreciated, too. I 'snip' when and how I think it
appropriate, thanks.

Aw! Look at my little Johnny! He's the only one in step!

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
BAC

"Anthony Anson" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

A touch of forebearance before presuming to jump in and criticise

others'
posting styles would be appreciated, too. I 'snip' when and how I think

it
appropriate, thanks.

Aw! Look at my little Johnny! He's the only one in step!

I have no wish to look at your little Johnny, thanks.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:02 PM

"BAC" wrote in message

"Malcolm Ogilvie" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also

faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the

greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts'

are
considered rare.

But that's the other way round. The question was about birds catching
bats.

I know that - I thought the bat eating birds example was more interesting,
on the 'man bites dog' principle :-)

Our cat has caught pipistrelles. Jackdaws do flock at this time of the year

often in mixed flocks with rooks. I have seen a jackdaw drop out of a group
flying 30ft up to pick up a small rodent -guess a vole from the grass.
Both jackdaws and rooks are very capable fliers -about a week ago I saw two
rooks chasing a sparrowhawk from the rookery site in our garden.
Having made those observations I think an opportunistic jackdaw is quite
capable of catching an off guard pipistrelle.
David T.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message

Them jackdaw's rooks.

Nope. Them Jackdaw's Jackdaws.
There are thousands of them here in South Wales and they are very
distinctive with their glossy black bodies and slate grey hoods.
They feed off my bird table and nest in the copse at the bottom of the
garden.

Jackdaws, flocking? I've seen half a dozen or so , but flocks?

We have a flock of around a hundred jackdaws as permanent residents in this
vicinity. Lower down the dale, in Bainbridge, there is a flock of a few
hundred. Both make earsplitting noises at roosting time.
And I mean jackdaws. We also have a flock of rooks around these parts, but
that is another matter.

Franz

Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message

Them jackdaw's rooks.

Nope. Them Jackdaw's Jackdaws.
There are thousands of them here in South Wales and they are very
distinctive with their glossy black bodies and slate grey hoods.
They feed off my bird table and nest in the copse at the bottom of the
garden.

Jackdaws, flocking? I've seen half a dozen or so , but flocks?

Yes. We regularly have winter flocks in the hundreds.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Jackdaws, flocking? I've seen half a dozen or so , but flocks?

We have a flock of around a hundred jackdaws as permanent residents in this
vicinity. Lower down the dale, in Bainbridge, there is a flock of a few
hundred. Both make earsplitting noises at roosting time.
And I mean jackdaws. We also have a flock of rooks around these parts, but
that is another matter.

Jackdaws are a bit of a rarity here.

I blame the gamekeepers.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 01-10-2003, 06:12 PM
martin

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:14:02 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Jackdaws, flocking? I've seen half a dozen or so , but flocks?

We have a flock of around a hundred jackdaws as permanent residents in this
vicinity. Lower down the dale, in Bainbridge, there is a flock of a few
hundred. Both make earsplitting noises at roosting time.
And I mean jackdaws. We also have a flock of rooks around these parts, but
that is another matter.

Jackdaws are a bit of a rarity here.

I blame the gamekeepers.

There are millions of the things living in house chimneys here, I
blame central heating.
--
Martin
Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from contains these words:

Both jackdaws and rooks are very capable fliers

Which ones do the synchronised flying, one bird a few feet above another?

Janet.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from contains these words:

Both jackdaws and rooks are very capable fliers

Which ones do the synchronised flying, one bird a few feet above another?

The top one was a peregrine. The other wasn't.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Rod

"martin" wrote in message ...
There are millions of the things living in house chimneys here, I
blame central heating.
--

Don't do what our old estate agent did many years ago soon after we came here. They were nesting in the chimneys of
the 'Big House' so he got the gamekeeper to keep an evening vigil and shoot 'em off the chimneys with a 12 bore-

Rod

Old 01-10-2003, 09:32 PM
martin

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:07:52 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message ...
There are millions of the things living in house chimneys here, I
blame central heating.
--

Don't do what our old estate agent did many years ago soon after we came here.

I wouldn't dream of harming a jackdaw, they are the only birds with
enough intelligence to have avoided being eaten by our two cats.

--
Martin
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Rod" contains these words:
"martin" wrote in message
There are millions of the things living in house chimneys here, I
blame central heating.
--

Don't do what our old estate agent did many years ago soon after we
came here. They were nesting in the chimneys of
the 'Big House' so he got the gamekeeper to keep an evening vigil and
shoot 'em off the chimneys with a 12 bore-
then he got the estate builder to replace the pots (The 'pots' were
after the manner of these part formed by 4
large slates arranged to make a slightly tapered 'pot')

Any gamekeeper worth his salt would have taken them out with an air
rifle. Corvines are very easy to knock over.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk - and part-time keeper.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:07:52 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:
"martin" wrote in message
.. .

There are millions of the things living in house chimneys here, I
blame central heating.
--

Don't do what our old estate agent did many years ago soon after we
came here.

I wouldn't dream of harming a jackdaw, they are the only birds with
enough intelligence to have avoided being eaten by our two cats.

I must admit to having a soft spot for jackdaws - unlike the head keeper!

When I was a slip of a lad one used to perch on the balustrade above a
local parade of shops, and wolf-whistle.

A remarkably discerning bird, it only whistled at young ladies, and more
remarkably, only at the pretty ones.

That's evidence for reincarnation if ever there were any doubt.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

blackbirds or jackdaws Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-05-2009 01:52 PM
Jackdaws Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 7 02-03-2008 04:18 PM
Jackdaws! Sacha United Kingdom 5 03-03-2007 12:02 PM
Jackdaws to Buzzards Kate Morgan United Kingdom 20 29-11-2005 11:40 AM
Going bats! Bathouse questions.... paghat Gardening 12 23-02-2003 04:27 PM