Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Franz Heymann

Default OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

[snip]

I am not sure whether a greater horseshoe is more or less likely to
be killed by a jackdaw than a pipistrelle. One of them is 10% of the
weight of a jackdaw, has a 10% greater wingspan, and has a head and body
length 30% longer than a jackdaw's beak. Easy enough to kill, but a
heck of a mouthful!

Jackdaws carry portable knives and forks.

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Franz Heymann

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
Stone the crows!
What an astonishing response.
Just to clear the air, I'm not a "rookie" and do know a Jackdaw when I see
one.
The bat was NOT a pipistrelle. The Manse used to have a colony of Greater
Horseshoes. These were removed to a secret location when it was re-roofed.
One is believed to have returned and was regularly seen.

The aerial display by the Jackdaws takes place in good light every evening
as the sun sets. They are all safely back in their roosts by the time the
light is failing.

The bat had just emerged from the Manse, as it did every evening, and was
flying in my garden - as it did every evening. The Jackdaws were in a

flock
of several hundred wheeling and calling overhead. A pair broke away and

flew
across the garden. The bat flew into their path and one jinked and took

it.
The light was not poor, the bat was always easy to see. It has never
reappeared.
Either the Jackdaw took the opportunity to snatch it - or it chose that
precise moment to emigrate! I know which I believe is more probable!

However, for those who struggle with this, allow me to reassure you that

no
trees were felled yesterday, no-one died or was born, no cars crashed and
no-one was mugged. They can't have been because You didn't see it......

Sid, jour snipping is a bit too all-encompassing. Please spare the relevant
headers and the context. {:-((

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

[snip]

I am not sure whether a greater horseshoe is more or less likely to
be killed by a jackdaw than a pipistrelle. One of them is 10% of the
weight of a jackdaw, has a 10% greater wingspan, and has a head and body
length 30% longer than a jackdaw's beak. Easy enough to kill, but a
heck of a mouthful!

Jackdaws carry portable knives and forks.

Franz

blackbirds or jackdaws Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-05-2009 01:52 PM
Jackdaws Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 7 02-03-2008 04:18 PM
Jackdaws! Sacha United Kingdom 5 03-03-2007 12:02 PM
Jackdaws to Buzzards Kate Morgan United Kingdom 20 29-11-2005 11:40 AM
Going bats! Bathouse questions.... paghat Gardening 12 23-02-2003 04:27 PM