Old 05-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Alan Holmes

Default Squirrel Digging Up Bulbs

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 11:13:52 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

What makes it worse is that my neighbour leaves out piles of nuts
for them :-(

Doesn't that mean they sit still for a little longer than normal?

Aim, Fire...

Oh we *are* talking Grey Squirrels aren't we? We only have Red up
here. B-)

That makes be damned jealous, I'd be happy to have Red squirrels stealing my
walnuts.

Alan

Old 05-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 11:13:52 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

What makes it worse is that my neighbour leaves out piles of nuts
for them :-(

Someone mentioned in urg a while ago that gray squirrels are
officially classified as vermin in the UK. Isn't there some kind
of prohibition on deliberately encouraging "vermin"?

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 05-10-2003, 01:22 PM
John Towill

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 11:13:52 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

What makes it worse is that my neighbour leaves out piles of nuts
for them :-(

Doesn't that mean they sit still for a little longer than normal?

Aim, Fire...

Oh we *are* talking Grey Squirrels aren't we? We only have Red up
here. B-)

That makes be damned jealous, I'd be happy to have Red squirrels stealing

my
walnuts.

Alan
--

Alans comment reminds me of something I have always wondered. Are Greys
vermin and Reds desirable simply because of numbers? In other words if

Old 05-10-2003, 01:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:18:36 +0100, "John Towill"
wrote:

[...]

I was about to ask the same question.
--
Martin
Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"John Towill" wrote in message

[...]

Reds are indigenous. Greys are American immigrants, and are displacing the
reds.

Franz

Old 05-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

Alans comment reminds me of something I have always wondered. Are Greys
vermin and Reds desirable simply because of numbers? In other words if
there were many Reds and few Greys would the boot be on the other foot?
If not then what are the differences to make the Reds so appreciated?

Reds are squirrels, and indigenous to the country, as well as doing
little damage to the environment.

Greys are tarted-up rats and do a lot of damage to young trees, birds'
nests and possibly, reds.

Love to know.

Ye dae noo.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 05-10-2003, 06:03 PM
martin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:52:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

[...]

I really have doubts about the rate they are doing it. I remember
reading the same sort stuff when I was at school in the 1950s as is
being printed in the press now.

So if reds do know harm what do they live on?
--
Martin
Old 05-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:18:36 +0100, John Towill wrote:

Alans comment reminds me of something I have always wondered. Are Greys
vermin and Reds desirable simply because of numbers? In other words if
there were many Reds and few Greys would the boot be on the other foot?
If not then what are the differences to make the Reds so appreciated?

Your red squirrels are natives, while the grays are introduced
from North America. I don't know for sure about *your* red
squirrels, but our little Vancouver Island red squirrels are very
shy. intensely territorial, and have low population densities.
(In over 30 years, I've seen one about five times.) The grays,
otoh, breed prolifically and don't mind crowding. Thus they push
the reds out.

Also, the grays are serious pests in gardens, make nests in
attics if they can get in through vents, and seem not to
understand that we humans are Not To Be Chattered At.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 AM

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:02:25 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes
Janice wrote:

They're little horrors. I was so pleased when a month ago two squirrels
first visited our garden, aaahhhing out of the window when I saw them. But
my delight was over quickly when I saw them digging up my newly-planted and
expensive bulbs!

Tell me about it! Couldn't believe it when a number of my new
crocus blooms popped up in the middle of the lawn.

What makes it worse is that my neighbour leaves out piles of nuts
for them :-(

Buy a squirrel trap from mole valley farmers and do away with them!!!

Stupid fruitcake slag, if only it were as easy to get rid of you.

Ignorance is bliss eh?

. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |
/- _ `-/ '
(/\/ \ \ /\
/ / | ` \
O O ) / |
`-^--'` '
(_.) _ ) /
`.___/` /
`-----' /
----. __ / __ \
----|====O)))==) \) /====
----' `--' `.__,' \
| |
\ /
______( (_ / \______
,' ,-----' | \
`--{__________) \/

I'm a horny devil when riled.

pete who?

-=[ Grim Reaper ]=- 6/97

.""--.._
[] `'--.._
||__ `'-,
`)||_ ```'--.. \
_ /|//} ``--._ |
.'` `'. /////} `\/
/ .""".\ //{///
/ /_ _`\\ // `||
| |(_)(_)|| _// ||
| | /\ )| _///\ ||
| |L====J | / |/ | ||
/ /'-..-' / .'` \ | ||
/ | :: | |_.-` | \ ||
/| `\-::.| | \ | ||
/` `| / | | | / ||
|` \ | / / \ | ||
| `\_| |/ ,.__. \ | ||
/ /` `\ || ||
| . / \|| ||
| | |/ ||
/ / | ( ||
/ . / ) ||
| \ | ||
/ | / ||
|\ / | ||
\ `-._ | / ||
\ ,//`\ /` | ||
///\ \ | \ ||
|||| ) |__/ | ||
|||| `.( | ||
`\\` /` / ||
/` / ||
jgs / | ||
| \ ||
/ | ||
/` \ ||
/` | ||
`-.___,-. .-. ___,' ||
`---'` `'----'`
I need a drink, feel all giddy...hic!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

Completely wrong again Fritz. Yes the greys will occupy suitable
territory vacated by reds, they do NOT displace reds. The greys suffer
because they are far more adaptable than the reds, they suffer because
ignorant pricks like you blame them incorrectly for the decline of the
reds, the same prick who would blame magpie for the decline of
songbirds, born of ignorance & borne of ignorance.

Bloody kraut

. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |
/- _ `-/ '
(/\/ \ \ /\
/ / | ` \
O O ) / |
`-^--'` '
(_.) _ ) /
`.___/` /
`-----' /
----. __ / __ \
----|====O)))==) \) /====
----' `--' `.__,' \
| |
\ /
______( (_ / \______
,' ,-----' | \
`--{__________) \/

I'm a horny devil when riled.

pete who?

-=[ Grim Reaper ]=- 6/97

.""--.._
[] `'--.._
||__ `'-,
`)||_ ```'--.. \
_ /|//} ``--._ |
.'` `'. /////} `\/
/ .""".\ //{///
/ /_ _`\\ // `||
| |(_)(_)|| _// ||
| | /\ )| _///\ ||
| |L====J | / |/ | ||
/ /'-..-' / .'` \ | ||
/ | :: | |_.-` | \ ||
/| `\-::.| | \ | ||
/` `| / | | | / ||
|` \ | / / \ | ||
| `\_| |/ ,.__. \ | ||
/ /` `\ || ||
| . / \|| ||
| | |/ ||
/ / | ( ||
/ . / ) ||
| \ | ||
/ | / ||
|\ / | ||
\ `-._ | / ||
\ ,//`\ /` | ||
///\ \ | \ ||
|||| ) |__/ | ||
|||| `.( | ||
`\\` /` / ||
/` / ||
jgs / | ||
| \ ||
/ | ||
/` \ ||
/` | ||
`-.___,-. .-. ___,' ||
`---'` `'----'`
I need a drink, feel all giddy...hic!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , martin
writes
Alans comment reminds me of something I have always wondered. Are Greys
vermin and Reds desirable simply because of numbers? In other words if
there were many Reds and few Greys would the boot be on the other foot?
If not then what are the differences to make the Reds so appreciated?

I was about to ask the same question.

They have different habits. Red squirrels feed mainly on seeds and nuts
and are found in mainly in coniferous forests. However, grey squirrels
are more rat like in their habits and do a fair bit of damage.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article m,
?@?.? writes
Completely wrong again Fritz. Yes the greys will occupy suitable
territory vacated by reds, they do NOT displace reds. The greys suffer
because they are far more adaptable than the reds, they suffer because
ignorant pricks like you blame them incorrectly for the decline of the
reds, the same prick who would blame magpie for the decline of
songbirds, born of ignorance & borne of ignorance.

Er . . . and who *are* you?

Obviously a scaredy, scaredy, custard

Someone who is frightened of coming out and saying what he/she thinks in
an accountable manner!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:43 PM

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:31:33 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article m,
?@?.? writes
Completely wrong again Fritz. Yes the greys will occupy suitable
territory vacated by reds, they do NOT displace reds. The greys suffer
because they are far more adaptable than the reds, they suffer because
ignorant pricks like you blame them incorrectly for the decline of the
reds, the same prick who would blame magpie for the decline of
songbirds, born of ignorance & borne of ignorance.

Er . . . and who *are* you?

Obviously a scaredy, scaredy, custard

Someone who is frightened of coming out and saying what he/she thinks in
an accountable manner!

Well I tried lurking and biting my lip, I couldn't, I had to let it
all out, just had too.

Rumours about me being gay are false. I wont be coming out.

Not yet.

. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |