Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Peak wind speeds

In the booklet "The Design of Free-standing Walls", there is a map
showing the speeds that are used for building design in the UK. I
am not going to summarise it (as it is very complex), but here are
a few examples:

London 37
Colchester 41
King's Lynn 44
Newcastle 46
Truro 48
Edinburgh 50
Glasgow 52
Lewis 55

All are in metres/sec, and remember that wind damage is roughly
quadratic in the speed. There is also a varying factor due to the
openness of the terrain.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Larry Stoter

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In the booklet "The Design of Free-standing Walls", there is a map
showing the speeds that are used for building design in the UK. I
am not going to summarise it (as it is very complex), but here are
a few examples:

London 37
Colchester 41
King's Lynn 44
Newcastle 46
Truro 48
Edinburgh 50
Glasgow 52
Lewis 55

All are in metres/sec, and remember that wind damage is roughly
quadratic in the speed. There is also a varying factor due to the
openness of the terrain.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I'm drinking Stella - what are you on?
--
Larry Stoter
Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Larry Stoter wrote:

I'm drinking Stella - what are you on?

Take a little wine, for thy stomach's sake.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:57:38 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

Structural design is quite an interesting subject once you get into it.
Trying to battle nature yet keep in harmony.

A bit like Cher then...

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 10-10-2003, 11:02 AM
martin

wrote:

Structural design is quite an interesting subject once you get into it.
Trying to battle nature yet keep in harmony.

A bit like Cher then...

LOL!

She's been restructured several times.

--
Martin
Old 10-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:

| In the booklet "The Design of Free-standing Walls", there is a map
| showing the speeds that are used for building design in the UK. I
| am not going to summarise it (as it is very complex), but here are
| a few examples:
|
| London 37
|
| that may not look much, but it is in fact Force 12 75 MPH
|
| It doesn't give much reserve for really big storms.
|
| It's not surprising that roof get blown off.

I don't think that London has had more than a force 10 in several
decades, though I could be wrong. It is the most sheltered part
of the UK.

The figure for Lewis is somewhat impressive - much higher than
hurricane Isobel - in fact, Lewis gets winds higher than that
rather anaemic hurricane every year :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:

| The figure for Lewis is somewhat impressive - much higher than
| hurricane Isobel - in fact, Lewis gets winds higher than that
| rather anaemic hurricane every year :-)
|
| usually from the remains of a hurricane.
|
| I remember in the nineteen sixties, that around there an anemometer
| measured 140mph before it was blown away.

Yes. While they do weaken considerably crossing the pond, a high
proportion of all Caribbean hurricanes end up hitting the Western
Isles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
martin writes:

| The figure for Lewis is somewhat impressive - much higher than
| hurricane Isobel - in fact, Lewis gets winds higher than that
| rather anaemic hurricane every year :-)
|
| usually from the remains of a hurricane.
|
| I remember in the nineteen sixties, that around there an anemometer
| measured 140mph before it was blown away.

Yes. While they do weaken considerably crossing the pond, a high
proportion of all Caribbean hurricanes end up hitting the Western
Isles.

Well, not really a "high proportion" because you've got to exclude those
that hit land the other side of the pond, well over half most years! And
the poor old Western Isles aren't the only place the resulting
depressions end up hitting this side of the pond, it can be anywhere
from the Bay of Biscay to Iceland. The storm of 16th October 1987 was
partly a result of Hurricane Floyd, after all!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 10-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Ric

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In the booklet "The Design of Free-standing Walls", there is a map
showing the speeds that are used for building design in the UK. I
am not going to summarise it (as it is very complex), but here are
a few examples:

London 37
Colchester 41
King's Lynn 44
Newcastle 46
Truro 48
Edinburgh 50
Glasgow 52
Lewis 55

Interested to know how they derived those figures, and whether builders are
legally required to use those figures. I wouldn't worry about your house
blowing down - even the lowest figure (for London) is over F12 on the
Beaufort scale and barely survivable in the open.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Ric wrote:

Interested to know how they derived those figures, and whether builders are
legally required to use those figures. I wouldn't worry about your house
blowing down - even the lowest figure (for London) is over F12 on the
Beaufort scale and barely survivable in the open.

Dunno. The reference is:

CP3: Chapter V: Part 2: 1972. Wind Loads. British Standards
Institution.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.