Old 16-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Andrew Bond

Default Cold Snap for the UK

To all URGlers,

Just a reminder to let you know that we are expecting a change to MUCH
colder weather across the UK from this coming weekend with overnight frosts
and perhaps sleet or wet snow across some areas in the Northeast a distinct
possibility.

For more information or a forecast for your location you may like to visit
http://www.metcheck.com as we will be issuing regular updates on the site
regarding the cold snap.

HTH

Andrew

Old 16-10-2003, 01:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:55:43 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Bond"
wrote:

To all URGlers,

Just a reminder to let you know that we are expecting a change to MUCH
colder weather across the UK from this coming weekend with overnight frosts
and perhaps sleet or wet snow across some areas in the Northeast a distinct
possibility.

For more information or a forecast for your location you may like to visit
http://www.metcheck.com as we will be issuing regular updates on the site
regarding the cold snap.

What about putting wind speeds in beaufort too?
--
Martin
Old 16-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Andrew Bond" wrote in message
To all URGlers,

Just a reminder to let you know that we are expecting a change to MUCH
colder weather across the UK from this coming weekend with overnight

frosts
and perhaps sleet or wet snow across some areas in the Northeast a

distinct
possibility.

For more information or a forecast for your location you may like to visit
http://www.metcheck.com as we will be issuing regular updates on the site
regarding the cold snap.

Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome! Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 17-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:36:43 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome! Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

What address should I send some of our rain to? After a long
droughty summer and fall, much drier than usual, it's pouring
down outside like there's no tomorrow. Regrettably, a lot of it's
just running off instead of soaking in.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 17-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rodger wrote in message
Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome!

Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

What address should I send some of our rain to? After a long
droughty summer and fall, much drier than usual, it's pouring
down outside like there's no tomorrow. Regrettably, a lot of it's
just running off instead of soaking in.

That's what is going to happen here when it does start, it will pour down
continuously but will run straight off into the river (Thames mainly)
because the ground is so dry and I bet we get flooding again this year in
the Staines/Chertsey area.

Still, what a spring/summer/autumn we have had.

Won't know until next spring how many plants/trees have died through lack of
water.

Old 18-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Jim W

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Rodger wrote in message
Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome!

Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

What address should I send some of our rain to? After a long
droughty summer and fall, much drier than usual, it's pouring
down outside like there's no tomorrow. Regrettably, a lot of it's
just running off instead of soaking in.

That's what is going to happen here when it does start, it will pour down
continuously but will run straight off into the river (Thames mainly)
because the ground is so dry and I bet we get flooding again this year in
the Staines/Chertsey area.

Yep you can *almost* guarantee a *monsoon* season as in previous years..
I for one will be trying to capture some of the water and reduce runoff
with miniswales, and cover crops to prevent soil loss.
Esp on our hilly allotment.

So much land drainage and loss of soil stored water and trees combined
with changes in weather patterns and we are now seeing the longer term
results

//
Jim

Old 19-10-2003, 05:03 PM
TheGardener

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:36:43 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome!

Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

What address should I send some of our rain to? After a long
droughty summer and fall, much drier than usual, it's pouring
down outside like there's no tomorrow. Regrettably, a lot of it's
just running off instead of soaking in.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
change "invalid" to "net" to respond

Send it to Redditch - we haven't had any since June, possibly longer (apart
from about three very light showers for about five minutes!!). I keep
hoping......

Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 19-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Rodger wrote in message
Some rain for the first time in about 6 months would be welcome!

Watering
the grass in October is a bit unusual.

That's what is going to happen here when it does start, it will pour down
continuously but will run straight off into the river (Thames mainly)
because the ground is so dry and I bet we get flooding again this year in
the Staines/Chertsey area.

Still, what a spring/summer/autumn we have had.

Won't know until next spring how many plants/trees have died through lack of
water.

I have been wondering about the effects on next season of this year's
drought.
In your comment about trees dying, do you mean that even if they look
healthy now, they may be at risk, or do you mean that if they look sick
now they might or might not recover?

Janet G

Old 19-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:

Yes the climate has been changing but the immense tree clearance and
land drainage took place mainly during the last couple of hundred years
(ish) to my knowledge.

The downs and the northern moors were not cleared of trees in modern
times. The moors were cleared during prehistoric times, the downs in
the middle ages

No, they were cleared much earlier than that. It was the change from
arable to pastoral use that happened in the middle ages.

The only recent large-scale clearing (other than to build cities)
that I know of was in the Highlands, and that was mostly a few hundred
years back. Perhaps Ireland at the same time, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.