Old 21-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Michael Berridge

Default leylandii hedges for 'the chop'

The government are to add what was the high hedges bill to the current
antisocial behaviour bill going through Parliament. The bill will, in
effect, allow local councils to intervene in disputes over hedge
heights, and they will be allowed, if the case is proven, to cut them
down to a height of 2m. This is after a conservative MP talked the bill
out earlier. The Bill will, in fact, have all party backing.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 21-10-2003, 09:43 PM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:57:40 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

The government are to add what was the high hedges bill to the current
antisocial behaviour bill going through Parliament. The bill will, in
effect, allow local councils to intervene in disputes over hedge
heights, and they will be allowed, if the case is proven, to cut them
down to a height of 2m.

The question is can the local authority be relied on to maintain the
hedge at 2 metres?
--
Martin
Old 21-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these words:

The government are to add what was the high hedges bill to the current
antisocial behaviour bill going through Parliament. The bill will, in
effect, allow local councils to intervene in disputes over hedge
heights, and they will be allowed, if the case is proven, to cut them
down to a height of 2m. This is after a conservative MP talked the bill
out earlier. The Bill will, in fact, have all party backing.

Mike

My neighbour's Leylandii hedge is a bit less than 2m, but as it's to the
north of my garden, I don't care how high it gets.

Within reason.

www.british-naturism.org.uk

Hmmmm. And might you be wanting yours to grow above periscope height?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 21-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Janice

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message
The government are to add what was the high hedges bill to the current
antisocial behaviour bill going through Parliament. The bill will, in
effect, allow local councils to intervene in disputes over hedge
heights, and they will be allowed, if the case is proven, to cut them
down to a height of 2m.

But if I were to plant trees along the full length of my 6 foot high hedge,
would those trees then have to be cut down to the regulation height? My
neighbour wants me to cut down my conifer hedge (8 feet high) but he has
several trees on his side, and his trees are much higher than 8 feet.

Old 22-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Michael
Berridge writes
The government are to add what was the high hedges bill to the current
antisocial behaviour bill going through Parliament. The bill will, in
effect, allow local councils to intervene in disputes over hedge
heights, and they will be allowed, if the case is proven, to cut them
down to a height of 2m. This is after a conservative MP talked the bill
out earlier. The Bill will, in fact, have all party backing.

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:46:44 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

They should be safe in the absence of complaints

Not all hedges constitute a fence (or offence)

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 22-10-2003, 05:42 PM
martin

wrote:

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

They should be safe in the absence of complaints

Not all hedges constitute a fence (or offence)

that's no defence
--
Martin
Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
PK

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Michael

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

Janet

evergreen or semi evergreen hedges about which domestic (ie not commercial)
neighbours complain

pk

Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
martin

wrote:

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

They should be safe in the absence of complaints

Not all hedges constitute a fence (or offence)

that's no defence

Ha-ha

is a good alternative
http://www.quinion.com/words/weirdwords/ww-hah1.htm
--
Martin
Old 22-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Ron Clark

wrote:

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

They should be safe in the absence of complaints

Not all hedges constitute a fence (or offence)

that's no defence

Ha-ha

is a good alternative
http://www.quinion.com/words/weirdwords/ww-hah1.htm

It's nice to see the whirls of pit falling on fertile soil.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 22-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:

Ha-ha

is a good alternative
http://www.quinion.com/words/weirdwords/ww-hah1.htm

It's nice to see the whirls of pit falling on fertile soil.

Or in the case of the above, more like 'in fertile soil'.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 22-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Ron Clark
writes
wrote:

Well I hope we don't have to cut our 7 foot hawthorn hedges down, will
the law apply to all hedges or only those that people complain about?

They should be safe in the absence of complaints

Not all hedges constitute a fence (or offence)

and it still refers to evergreen or partly evergreen.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: