Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Need suggestions for garden visits

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Charlie Pridham
at wrote on 26/10/03 11:55 am:

"Woodspoiler" wrote

in
message ...
"The garden House" Buckland (near plymouth) hardly be looking its best

at
this time of year though!

--

I'd endorse this - excellent suggestion, IMO. It encompasses many styles

of
gardening in one area and I don't think another garden could be more
valuable to that form of study.
If Charlie will forgive me for completing his direction-giving, it's The
Garden House at Buckland Monachorum and yes, it's certainly near Plymouth
but its nearest town is Tavistock. From Bristol, straight down the A38,
choose to drive across the moor when you get to Ashburton, zip on to
Ivybridge and turn off there or do the Plymouth route.
And BTW, Charlie, we hear Keith Wiley has or is giving it up; has that
filtered through to you?

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

He went back in the spring, he is still next door producing plants for the
place but is no longer the gardener (due to what the trust termed persistant
overspending of his budget) anyway the new guy starts next year and is a
snowdrop man! and I am sorry about the directions but I could not spell the
place so decided better to leave it out rather than look a twit!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Woodspoiler

Pam, thanks for that. Hadspen looks as though it would have been
a good one but it shut on Sept 30th unfortunately. The Web site
lists a promising book title though, so that's useful, and I
found a pictorial guided tour & some insight into the design
principles at http://www.hadspengarden.freeserve.co.uk/.We'll
move Margery Fish to the Plan B list then.

W.

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:04:55 +0000 (UTC), "Woodspoiler"
wrote:

Any opinions on the possible suitability of the Margery Fish
garden at East Lambrook Manor between Yeovil and Crewekerne?

Last time I went to East Lambrook manor it was a bit of a mess

but I
understand it has had new owners. I considered it a bit

over-rated.

The other one you ought to visit is Hadspen down Shaftesbury

way.
Nothing will be at its best now, but maybe that could be part

of the
study; which gardens have the best out-of-season interest.

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Nick Gray

She has to visit example gardens. Our problem is finding suitable
places, mainly because few publicly accessible gardens (as far as
we can tell) are, or promote themselves as being, in this style.
Also, gardens tend to close in October and this project has to be
completed before they reopen next year. We therefore need to
blitz some worthwhile places this week.

Any ideas? I know it's a bad time of year and a loosely defined
subject, but we had no control over that and have to make the
best of it.

Thanks in advance.

W.

You might also want to contact a local Garden Designer to see if they have
recently completed a garden near you, that you can have a look at.

See http://www.sgd.org.uk/ for more information about local designers.

Cheers

Nick

Old 27-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:04:19 -0000, "Nick Gray"
wrote:

You might also want to contact a local Garden Designer to see if they have
recently completed a garden near you, that you can have a look at.

Have a look at
http://www.htvwest.com/rootsandshoots/2003/week14.shtml
(don't miss the link to 2this week's factsheet)

Mary Payne is a modern down-to-earth garden designer. She has
featured on TV several times, she designed some of the prairie
planting at Lady Farm, Chelwood, which I mentioned, and has the
smallest, most heavily planted garden in the yellow book. ( her claim)
However she is no longer in the yellow book! She might accept an
approach from you.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Sacha

in article , Sacha at
wrote on 27/10/03 2:12 pm:

in article , Woodspoiler at
wrote on 26/10/03 9:04 pm:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate the
replies.

They have convinced us to visit the The Garden House on Tuesday.

On Wednesday we will take stock of what we saw and then possibly
pick from among Pam's suggestions and a couple of others we have
turned up.

Any opinions on the possible suitability of the Margery Fish
garden at East Lambrook Manor between Yeovil and Crewekerne?

Don't bother, is my advice. We went there earlier this year and not only
has it been badly re-planted in my husband's opinion (it was my first visit)
large amounts of it haven't been planted at all because they're trying to
fight ground elder naturally.
You could go easily to Rosemoor the RHS flagship in N Devon.
snip

Sorry to follow up my own posts but I'm mixing up gardens! I'd still say
don't bother with E. Lambrook - it's very much smaller than you'd expect
from all the publicity it gets and I don't think you'll find anything in it
to answer your purpose.
The garden I *was* thinking of was Tintinhull - I don't know what happens to
gardens when the NT get their hands on them.
If you feel our nursery or garden would be helpful, come on over. Look at
the website first, though, to make sure you don't waste your time!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 27-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
in article , Woodspoiler at
. uk wrote on 26/10/03 9:04 pm:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate the
replies.

They have convinced us to visit the The Garden House on Tuesday.

On Wednesday we will take stock of what we saw and then possibly
pick from among Pam's suggestions and a couple of others we have
turned up.

Any opinions on the possible suitability of the Margery Fish
garden at East Lambrook Manor between Yeovil and Crewekerne?

Don't bother, is my advice. We went there earlier this year and not only
has it been badly re-planted in my husband's opinion (it was my first visit)
large amounts of it haven't been planted at all because they're trying to
fight ground elder naturally.
You could go easily to Rosemoor the RHS flagship in N Devon.
snip

What's that garden like in N Devon, possibly near Barnstaple - created
by a Dr Smart, and you put some money in a box and wandered in freely -
do you know the one I mean? This was about 30 years ago. and ISTR it'd
got taken over by NT or someone on his death.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:54:32 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

What's that garden like in N Devon, possibly near Barnstaple - created
by a Dr Smart, and you put some money in a box and wandered in freely -
do you know the one I mean? This was about 30 years ago. and ISTR it'd
got taken over by NT or someone on his death.

Marwood Hill Gardens. It WAS lovely. Don't know anything about it
now.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

What's that garden like in N Devon, possibly near Barnstaple - created
by a Dr Smart, and you put some money in a box and wandered in freely -
do you know the one I mean? This was about 30 years ago. and ISTR it'd
got taken over by NT or someone on his death.

Marwood Hill Gardens. It WAS lovely. Don't know anything about it
now.

That's the one! Seems to be alive and flourishing, see eg:

http://www.touruk.co.uk/gardens/gard...on_marwood.htm
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 28-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes
And BTW, Charlie, we hear Keith Wiley has or is giving it up; has that
filtered through to you?

We've heard that up here as well!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in news:gA15wAZ5Ean$EwZ4
@scarboro.demon.co.uk:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

What's that garden like in N Devon, possibly near Barnstaple - created
by a Dr Smart, and you put some money in a box and wandered in freely -
do you know the one I mean? This was about 30 years ago. and ISTR it'd
got taken over by NT or someone on his death.

Marwood Hill Gardens. It WAS lovely. Don't know anything about it
now.

That's the one! Seems to be alive and flourishing, see eg:

http://www.touruk.co.uk/gardens/gard...on_marwood.htm

Was there earlier this year (? July?). It's good - not too tidy, lots of
things seeding and spreading, and a lovely lake with some interesting
planting round about.

I did not suggest it as a day trip from Bristol as it's a bit of a fiddle
to get to, and it is a long way from the Southwest Devon gardens previously
suggested: it takes about 2 hours to get from Plymouth to N. Devon, and the
north-south road is awful. :-(

I'd guess something over 3 hours coming from Bristol, if you didn't get
held up in Barnstaple, and didn't get lost in the lanes.

Victoria

Old 29-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
And BTW, Charlie, we hear Keith Wiley has or is giving it up; has that
filtered through to you?

We've heard that up here as well!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

In case my reply to Sacha has gone astray!
He left back in the spring, he is still next door to the garden house

Old 29-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Woodspoiler

Progress report!

We went down to The Garden House yesterday. It closes on Friday
so to fit in with other commitments we had to make a quick sally
at short notice or not at all.

Three hours each way, 270 mile round trip, but a nice day for it
and worth the effort. It is spot on for my wife's project, so
thanks to those helped persuade us to do it - we're glad we went.

Although the flowering is of course largely over, the garden
still looked and felt good, and we're both keen to see it again
at a better time of year. I hope the "snowdrop man" and bean
counters don't take the shine off it in the meantime.

We're left with time for one more day out before many gardens
close on Friday the 31st. Given the time limitations, we'd like
to try to fit two into the day, so this evening we will look
through all the helpful suggestions and see what might work.

Has anyone visited Abbotsbury Gardens near Chesil Beach?

The pictures at http://360vrtours.co.uk/garden/mapage.htm make it
seem as though it has enough of a naturalistic style to be worth
a look, but I'd be interested in any first-hand opinions on how
strong a contender it is compared with the other ideas that have
been mentioned.

It's open beyond the 31st so doesn't necessarily have to be on
this week's itinerary, but it'd have to be good for the project
to justify a day out on its own.

Thank you once again.

W.

Old 29-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Sacha

in article , Charlie Pridham
at wrote on 28/10/03 4:40 pm:

[...]

Thanks, Charlie. I think we'll have to pop over and see if we can find him
and Ros. I know he was always wanting to do more than the trustees saw as
financially viable but my goodness what an asset he was to that place. And
work........! I doubt he ever stopped, frankly. The new man isn't Terry
Underhill, is it?!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Red-shouldered Hawk visits pond bbrown9506 Ponds 6 25-07-2005 06:08 PM
Orchid greenhouse visits Larry Orchids 8 19-01-2005 04:10 AM
Need suggestions for garden visits Woodspoiler United Kingdom 0 26-10-2003 03:02 PM
Recomendations for garden and nursery visits in Devon Sacha United Kingdom 2 12-09-2003 02:02 PM