Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default New Garden - much excitement

The message
from "Heather" contains these words:

Pampas can be a fine architectural plant in the right setting so I

wouldn't rush to get rid of that either; have you seen Beth Chatto's
gardening books where she uses pampas in shrub groups?

Janet.

I haven't seen the book no - any idea which one?

Can't remember which one and can't easily check. Although we've been
here a year most of the books are still in boxes :-((((( and the ones
that aren't are washing around in the general chaos that still prevails.
We're still at the stage where it has to get worse before it can get
better, sigh.

Beth Chatto books include The Damp Garden, The Dry Garden, The Green
Tapestry (most likely bet for pampas remarks).. I think there's another
called Gardening Notes, and one I didn't enjoy quite so much because of
the over-contrived format, something along the lines of "letters to a
gardening friend". Most libraries stock her books, well worth reading
especially when starting a new garden, for her knowledge of plants and
views on design.

Janet
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Heather

"jane" wrote in message
[snip]
I have three overlooking my front garden and have a
leafblower/shredder which makes life a lot easier at this time of
year.

The previous owners left me theirs - I haven't tried it out yet!

Thanks also for the bindweed advice - I have already pulled out lots of
roots but can see I will have to be ready to repeat next year!

Heather

--

Spamtrap in operation. To reply to me direct put out the BINs. To save
yourself the trouble, reply to the Group.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Heather

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[snip]

I am now
reminded that I have to confess to adding about 20 cc of Garotta to each
bagful, and to making sure that the leaves were thoroughly damp. Mea

culpa.

[snip]

Franz

I'll try that then Franz - not sure I've got the space to store more than
one season's worth looking at what's already come down (and the trees still
seem to have an awful lot of leaves on....)

Heather

Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Heather

"Janet Baraclough" wrote Beth Chatto books
include The Damp Garden, The Dry Garden, The Green
Tapestry (most likely bet for pampas remarks)..

I've got the Damp Garden - the book I mean not the garden! The garden at my
last house was permanently wet! I'll look out for the others. I do like
her writing style, she talks about plants as if she knows them all
personally and really wants you to know what she thinks. I agree about the
Dear Friend and Gardener book (letters between her and Christopher Lloyd) it
was good in parts but felt contrived.

Heather

Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Heather

"Steve Harris" wrote

[snip]

Bulbs can survive decades of neglect.

Steve Harris - Cheltenham

Steve

Absolutely, but my point was I don't think they ever planted any in the
first place : (

It would be nice to be proved wrong so I'll let you know!

Heather

Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Heather

"Bob Hobden" wrote

[snip]

Koi love plants in their ponds, attracts intsects etc for them to eat,

that
statement you heard probably came from some Koi nuts that keep their fish

in
clinically sterile ponds

[snip]

LOL - this sounds JUST like some people I know. Each to their own I suppose
but I'm more interested in the water and the plants!

[snip]

Oh, and if you have Koi in your pond it is THEIR pond, you are just the
staff, you will need to understand that. A bit like when you think you own

cat. :-)

Not a cat person but again I know exactly what you mean.... Bit more
diffiuclt for the koi to go down the road to get fed though isn't it?

Without filters it is doubtful you will ever see much in your pond unless
you plan to clean it out on a regular basis as the koi act like underwater
pigs and will root around in the detritus to find food and stir it up,

There are filters, I don't plan to take them out, I just don't want to be
forever cleaning them and fiddling around with changing lightbulbs.

I think I might see how it goes this winter and then see if anyone wants
them in the Spring. There are four koi, all just under a foot long and dark
coloured (ghost koi someone told me?)

Thanks

Heather

Old 04-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Heather" wrote in message in reply tomy reply...
[snip]

Each to their own I suppose
but I'm more interested in the water and the plants!

We have a fully planted Koi pond with two water lillies etc although I
haven't found a way to keep oxygenators from being chewed yet. but with a
pump and filters going constantly it's not a problem at all.

Oh, and if you have Koi in your pond it is THEIR pond, you are just the
staff, you will need to understand that. A bit like when you think you

own
cat. :-)

Not a cat person but again I know exactly what you mean.... Bit more
diffiuclt for the koi to go down the road to get fed though isn't it?

Well I have had them jump so we were eye to eye (I'm 6ft tall!), bit of a
shock, and one in particular did jump across the garden 20+ years ago
luckily while a neighbour was looking out of his window and he kindly
climbed over the fence and put her back minus a few scales. She, "Bubbles",
is still alive and well.

Without filters it is doubtful you will ever see much in your pond

unless
you plan to clean it out on a regular basis as the koi act like

underwater
pigs and will root around in the detritus to find food and stir it up,

There are filters, I don't plan to take them out, I just don't want to be
forever cleaning them and fiddling around with changing lightbulbs.

I clean my foam filters out once a year, in early spring/late winter, whilst
the bacteria that do the work are mostly dormant. They can then recolonise
the clean foam. Use pond water if possible as you don't want to kill off the
remaining bacteria. Messy job but fertilizes the grass. :-)
A UV bulb should last a season at least. Always have water running through
it, NEVER turn your pump off without first turning off the UV, they
overheat.

I think I might see how it goes this winter and then see if anyone wants
them in the Spring. There are four koi, all just under a foot long and

dark
coloured (ghost koi someone told me?)

Ah, Ghost Carp, similar to Koi but more difficult to see (unless you are
talking about a Hajiro or similar black Koi). :-(
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.