Old 02-11-2003, 09:13 PM
ChrisS

Default Greenhouse question

Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

Old 02-11-2003, 09:42 PM
shazzbat

"ChrisS" wrote in message
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

A greenhouse anywhere is better than no geenhouse. Enjoy.

Steve

Old 02-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Jim W

ChrisS wrote:

Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

It will get the early morning sun!-) You'll just have to get outta bed
earlier in the summer to enjoy it;-) You may also have to limit the
number of plants you can succesfully grow in it.

Jim
Old 02-11-2003, 10:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 21:36:23 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"ChrisS" wrote in message
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

A greenhouse anywhere is better than no geenhouse. Enjoy.

Jenny has an original idea!
--
Martin
Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
David Hill

Nothing wrong with an East facing conservatory, in fact in the Summer it
could be a benefit as it wont get so hot in the afternoon sun.
Being a lean to it will be easier to put electric in if you want to boost
the heat in the winter.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM
jane

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 01:03:20 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

~Nothing wrong with an East facing conservatory, in fact in the Summer it
~could be a benefit as it wont get so hot in the afternoon sun.
~Being a lean to it will be easier to put electric in if you want to boost
~the heat in the winter.
~

My 9' long conservatory's north-facing, and only gets sun at the top
end (northernmost) at midday in summertime as the sun peeks over the
house. Of course it gets some east and west sun too (what makes it
past the surrounding trees). And gets upto 35C regularly (even before
this year!).

If it's east-facing then you'll get sun at midday from the side, so
it'll still get pretty hot... do make sure you've got plenty of
louvres!

The only real problem would likely be heating in winter - you'll
probably need some if you're overwintering pelagoniums etc. And a
decent max/min thermometer.

plug of thing I've found useful
I can recommend one of these digital thermometers if anyone likes
gadgets or are stuck for Christmas presents! The remotes are water
resistant.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/othr_sub.html

I've got a MTR102 (£20) with an extra sensor and have one in the
garden, one in the cold frame and the base unit in the conservatory.
You get beeped at if it goes under 3C in the primary sensor location
or at the base unit and it stores max/min for all locations.
The best use of mine was when I unplugged the heater once in December
to do the hoovering of dropped leaves and forgot to plug it back in
again. At 2am the base started beeping and woke my SO. I'd have lost
all my overwintering plants if I hadn't gone and plugged the heater
back in rapidly...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 03-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , ChrisS chriss@csbrookfi
elds.freeserve.co.uk writes
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?

What are you going to use it for?

Advantage of east is that you won't have so much trouble with
overheating in the summer.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 PM
JennyC

wrote:

"ChrisS" wrote in message
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

A greenhouse anywhere is better than no geenhouse. Enjoy.

Jenny has an original idea!
Martin

:~))
Yes I have one on my 1st floor roof garden, but that may not be an option for
everybody !
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing should be fine.
It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Jenny

Old 03-11-2003, 04:23 PM
JennyC

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , ChrisS chriss@csbrookfi
elds.freeserve.co.uk writes
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be a
lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?

What are you going to use it for?

Advantage of east is that you won't have so much trouble with
overheating in the summer.
Kay Easton

A site about an east facing GH's with pictures:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~josephn/garden.htm

info:
http://www.solarinnovations.com/faq-answer2.html

Jenny

Old 05-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Amber Ormerod

wrote:

"ChrisS" wrote in message
Hi
I would like a greenhouse but the only place I could put one would be

lean-to against an east facing wall. Is this a stupid place to put

one as
it won't get as much sunlight as a south or west facing one?
Thanks
Chris

A greenhouse anywhere is better than no geenhouse. Enjoy.

Jenny has an original idea!
Martin

:~))
Yes I have one on my 1st floor roof garden, but that may not be an option

for
everybody !
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing should be

fine.
It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Wow your cacti collections great!

Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
martin

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:18:10 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Amber Ormerod" wrote

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing =

should be
fine. It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Wow your cacti collections great!

Yes :~))
Jenny

Somebody I passed the link to your first floor greenhouse, said that
your whole site was great. I think so too.
--=20
Martin
Old 07-11-2003, 03:04 PM
JennyC

"martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Amber Ormerod" wrote

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing should be

fine. It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Wow your cacti collections great!

Yes :~))
Jenny

Somebody I passed the link to your first floor greenhouse, said that
your whole site was great. I think so too.

Blush !
So anybody need a web site designing for them ?
Jenny :~)

Old 07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Jim W

JennyC wrote:

"martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Amber Ormerod" wrote

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing should be
fine. It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Wow your cacti collections great!

Yes :~))
Jenny

Somebody I passed the link to your first floor greenhouse, said that
your whole site was great. I think so too.

Blush !
So anybody need a web site designing for them ?
Jenny :~)

I'd consider saying yes, seriously but.. have reservations on the
following.. Too many dancing things.. (animated gifs), some of the
pages don't flow in my browser window..

Frames.. Eugh.... Not needed!-)

No ALT tags.. Serious sin of web design in my book;-)
Just my 2p's though.

I really ought to get around to puttin my site together oughtn't I;-)

/
Jim
Old 07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
martin

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:54:15 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Amber Ormerod" wrote

http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

My south facing GH gets seriously HOT in summer so east facing =

should be
fine. It will catch the sun at least until mid-day.

Wow your cacti collections great!

Yes :~))
Jenny

Somebody I passed the link to your first floor greenhouse, said that
your whole site was great. I think so too.

Blush !
So anybody need a web site designing for them ?

I think he lectures on the subject :-)

--=20
Martin