Old 18-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Greenhouse question

Mines not a greenhouse but a cold frame with a
greenhouse like top. Anyway what i ended up doing
was wrapping 2 turns of heating coil "pipe heating
coils" around some pots. Then mulching them in. Then
placing a sensor inside the soil of a few of the pots
hooked up to thermostats. The pipe heating coil's
come on around 28 degrees and go off around 35
degrees. I only have them wrapped around the trees
with more cold sensitive root systems. Such as a
kingsville boxwood, serissa, japanese maples, trident
maple, chinese elm, crape myrtle and a flowering
apricot. Any day above about 38 i open the cold frame
to let air flow in. I keep a oscilating fan in the
cold frame turned on at all times when the frame is
closed.

Ben

http://shopping.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Steve wachs

I am somewhere between zone 6 and 7 on LONG Island, NY.
I have my trees in a greenhouse I use a minimum amount of heat at night. To
prevent the temps from sustaining temps under 32*f. using a kerosene heater.
Actually I prefer to keep the above 32*, because during day temps exceed 70
sometimes. The maples are budding already and I am starting to repot this
month as I do every year. My trees seem to do well
SteveW
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Steve wachs

I was in the greehouse w2 weeks agohe greenhouse is made with heavy mill plastic. it is not sheltered from the sunlight. it was sunny enough to radiate heat in the greenhouse. I willl ake pic of the maples next week if you like. the heaters are only used
at night. I have to start repotting every year in march. Last year was so mild we started to beginning of february.
The Maples leafed out. the elms are starting to leaf out. and the Quince are done flowering. the greenhouses are 20'x 16' and 16'x 16'. this past fall the larger one was built and the smaller was covered with new plastic. now the
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Steve wachs

As i mentioned the larger greenhouse was just built. the vent and fan has not been installed yet.but I am sure we'll have the vents and fan in soon, before the temperatures get too high.
The greenhouse adds about 4 months to our growing season. Long Island only has a growing season from April or may through October. that's stretching it. April and October are unpredictable as far as weather goes.
undoubtedly there is a great advantage to using a greenhouse. or a cold frame.
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Steven Wachs

I am using 10 mill clear Plastic. But it isn't transparent I get almost a 2
month headstart on spring, but what is most important to me, is the fact that
there is no damage from the wind, which is prevalent here on Long Island. I
have approximately 30 varieties of Japanese Maples. They are already leafed
out.
The trees look great until they go outside, and get damaged by the wind.
this year I trying to leave the maples in the greenhouse all summer. I have
the greenhouse set up with a fan and ventilation, so that there is plenty air
circulation.
SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Ben Griffin

Feel like i haven't posted in ages and its only been a
week or so .

From what i have heard about maples letting them open
their leaves in more sun then you plan on putting them
in will allow the leaves to wistand sun damage better.
There is also a product called pro-tect which is
supposed to help. I beleive its made by dyna grow.
Speaking of japanese maples how acid do japanese
maples like their soil. I was thinking of using oak
leaf mold to repot mine this year in the mix but i
beleive it is more acid then pine bark mulch.

Ben

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Jim Lewis

There is also a product called pro-tect which is
supposed to help. I beleive its made by dyna grow.

I've not used this stuff, but I do not believe it is for constant
use. It is designed to keep a tree's leaves from losing water in
wind and heat, and is most often used while transporting plants
from point a to point b in an open carrier.

Trees have to transpire (lose moisture through stoma in their
leaf surfaces (mostly lower surfaces), and this material
temporarily blocks that ability.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Alan Walker

Jim: I'm no expert on Pro-Tekt, but I do know that it is not an antidessicant as
you suggest. Commonly available brands of antidessicants include Cloud and
Wilt-Pruf.
Pro-Tekt is supposed to help fortify the cell wall structures of the foliage
and supposedly can be used on a routine basis. From the Stone Lantern site I got
this description: "Pro-Tekt silicon and potassium solution helps build stronger cell
walls and is said to increase overall resistance to stress; including heat, cold and
drought resistance, as well as protection against salinity, mineral toxicity and
insects and disease."
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===============================
Jim Lewis wrote:
There is also a product called pro-tect which is
supposed to help. I believe its made by dyna grow.

I've not used this stuff, but I do not believe it is for constant
use. It is designed to keep a tree's leaves from losing water in
wind and heat, and is most often used while transporting plants
from point a to point b in an open carrier.

Trees have to transpire (lose moisture through stoma in their
leaf surfaces (mostly lower surfaces), and this material
temporarily blocks that ability.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Old 04-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim: I'm no expert on Pro-Tekt, but I do know that it is not
an antidessicant as
you suggest. Commonly available brands of antidessicants

include Cloud and
Wilt-Pruf.
Pro-Tekt is supposed to help fortify the cell wall

structures of the foliage
and supposedly can be used on a routine basis. From the Stone

Lantern site I got
this description: "Pro-Tekt silicon and potassium solution

helps build stronger cell
walls and is said to increase overall resistance to stress;

including heat, cold and
drought resistance, as well as protection against salinity,

mineral toxicity and
insects and disease."
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===============================

Well, you learn something every day -- thankfully -- though how
someone gets a tree to take up silicon is beyond me at the
moment.

Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Steve wachs

thanks for the response.
There is air circulation. a fan and vents. The reason I believe it's from the wind is that they look good until they go outside. and there is always some wind. the yard does not have adaequate shelter from the wind. I have tried all locations . However, i
noticed that when I remove all the leaves when I am putting them outside the replacement leaves do not show brown edges
Long Island is surrounded by ocean and The Long Island Sound. i am a few miles from the shore.
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Jim Lewis

Speaking of greenhouses, "Jim Lewis or Current Resident" got a
catalog in the mail today from "Charley's Greenhouse and Garden"
(www.charleysgreenhouse.com) (1-800-322-4707 for a catalog) and
it's an interesting read, despite being snail mail spam.

First catalog I've see that sells several varieties of "poly
tunnels" (used for acclimatizing newly repotted trees, cuttings,
and layers, etc.). And they actually have a page of bonsai
tools, that includes a concave cutter, a Japanese wire cutter,
wire (in three smallish sizes), bonsai rakes, tweezers (!), soil
sifter screens, assorted shears, snips, & etc. along with other
standard garden/irrigation stuff and -- oh yes, more different
greenhouse models than I've seen anywhere else.

I have not bought from them, but might. It's in Mount Vernon,
Washington. Anyone heard of them?

Any reports?

Old 06-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Bart Thomas

Jim:

As I recall, I've bought something minor from them and been happy
..
As I recall it was plastic orchid pots for my wife.

I can also highly reccomend Lee Valley Hardware leevalley.com

Bart

Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Carl L Rosner

Jim and all IBC:
I have used Charleys greenhouse.com for about three years since our IBC
member Luis Fontainills turned there information over to me. They are a
very good and reputable company, and solved a problem quickly, when an
oscillating fan I had purchased from them stopped oscillating. I had a
new one in two days! Of course, I have no relationship with them other
than being a custosmer!

Carl L. Rosner