Old 02-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim

Default Greenhouse

I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Jim

---

Old 02-11-2003, 09:42 PM
shazzbat

"Jim" wrote in message
I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around

the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be

maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Jim

One big advantage is that it won't be susceptible to damage to the same
degree as a glass one. I believe the main disadvantage is that plastic does
not admit light to the same degree as glass. This will be of most relevance
in spring when light is at a premium, or if you are at northern latitudes
this will be a consideration. Also plastic will get scratched etc and
gradually become opaque, cutting light down even more.
Steve

Old 02-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Jim W

Jim wrote:

I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

The cost, of good exterior perspex, compared to Horticultural glass its
not cheap. It gets scratched.. It gets condensation more easily.

DO look at the design though.Make sure it is held together with standard
W-clips and S-supports for the glass. Otherwise its a pig to put
together and even more if you need to get replacement bits.

Advantages.. It will not get 'wasted' as easily by 'yoofs with bricks'.
It is unlikly to cause anyone harm with broken glass (eg someone falling
through gh)

That said even that corrogated sheet is not bullet proof and a good half
brick will still cause damage, however the sheet tends to just crack
rather than shatter and patches can be made quite a few times with
exterior transparent tape before a whole 'pane' needs replaceing

Jim
Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
David Hill

If you are going to make it yourself then you will have to work out how you
vent it.
You will have less light, depending on the sheeting you use, small profile
sheet will cut out more, not so good in the spring, but will give a measure
of shading in Summer.
Make sure you have sufficient supports to hold it up, and to keep it down,
in strong winds.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 AM
anne

Jim wrote in message
I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around

the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be

maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Jim

Why not go the cheap route and build a poly tunnel? I guess it depends how
secure your allotments are, but I certainly wouldn't build a glass
geeenhouse.

---

Old 03-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
essness.fsnet.co.uk writes
I believe the main disadvantage is that plastic does
not admit light to the same degree as glass. This will be of most relevance
in spring when light is at a premium, or if you are at northern latitudes
this will be a consideration. Also plastic will get scratched etc and
gradually become opaque, cutting light down even more.

Doesn't it also become very brittle with time? Especially if it is in
the sunlight, which, obviously, a greenhouse is!!!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
essness.fsnet.co.uk writes
I believe the main disadvantage is that plastic does
not admit light to the same degree as glass. This will be of most

relevance
in spring when light is at a premium, or if you are at northern latitudes
this will be a consideration. Also plastic will get scratched etc and
gradually become opaque, cutting light down even more.

Correct me if I am wrong: Scratches and the milky appearance of the plastic
does not actually absorb all that much light, it mainly diffuses it.

Doesn't it also become very brittle with time? Especially if it is in
the sunlight, which, obviously, a greenhouse is!!!!!!!!

I have a few perspex propagator tops which are by now at least 15 years old.
They are scratched and a little milky, but they sre still as good as new
when I use them for rooting cuttings. (On the other hand, I suppose the
plant does not do much by way of photosynthesis during rooting, so my
experience might not be cogent)

Franz

Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
essness.fsnet.co.uk writes
I believe the main disadvantage is that plastic does
not admit light to the same degree as glass. This will be of most relevance
in spring when light is at a premium, or if you are at northern latitudes
this will be a consideration. Also plastic will get scratched etc and
gradually become opaque, cutting light down even more.

Doesn't it also become very brittle with time? Especially if it is in
the sunlight, which, obviously, a greenhouse is!!!!!!!!

I thought perspex was less suseptible to this than some other plastics.
And aren't the greenhouse perspexes a different formulation which
improves light transmission and reduces damage from light?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM
oldmolly

"Jim" wrote in message
I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around

the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be

maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

In my smallholder maghazine last month there are simple plans for building
a greenhouse cheaply using corrugated plastic and plastic piping. I would be
happy to scan the details and email them to you if you are intertested. In
theory you can build it as large as you choose.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I thought perspex was less suseptible to this than some other plastics.
And aren't the greenhouse perspexes a different formulation which
improves light transmission and reduces damage from light?

Dunno - just know I have seen some very yellow looking ones!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
David Hill

"........Why not go the cheap route and build a poly tunnel?........"

On an Allotment?????
Just needs some clown with a knife and 2 mins and you have no sheet.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Sacha

"........Why not go the cheap route and build a poly tunnel?........"

On an Allotment?????
Just needs some clown with a knife and 2 mins and you have no sheet.

Quite right. I think many of us know of the lovely poppy called "Pattie's
Plum". We visited the very small but lovely nursery of the lady that
inspired that name. She has poly tunnels and had been visited by the local
'yoof'in just this fashion. She's not young, she works hard, she's trying
to keep her beautiful house and garden going and run a nursery and I hope
the little criminal buggers dangly bits drop off, frankly. Oh, and pox and
leprosy might be good, too.

NB: I am deliberately NOT posting the full name of this lady.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM
The Q

"Jim" wrote in message
I am about to build a greenhouse on our new allotment, the size of the
greenhouse will be 12ft by 8ft, I have been to BanfQ, and walked around

the
other allotments to get some idea's, what caught my eye was a greenhouse
built using Perspex sheets, it looks really good and seems to be

maintenance
free, i.e., no broken glass to replace, also, no wood to rebate for the
glass and no putty or silicone to secure the glass, just screw or nail the
sheets to the frame

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse made
from corrugated Perspex, any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Jim

just make sure the perspex is stiff enough, I had a lean to one with the
corrogated plastic fitted and when it got windy a pane on the upwind side
blew in and then several on the down side wind blew out. When I cleccted
them I found that they were flexing in the wind enough to pop.

I've gone over to all glass now but I have had the odd sparrow hawk take a
short cut through the glass!! you can't win!
The Q

Old 04-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "oldmolly" contains these words:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

over here for that one!

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM