Old 20-11-2003, 11:33 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Rosemary pruning Q

I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious chop. How much can I
take off without killing it?

Thanks )
Lorraine
Old 21-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Emrys Davies

'Lorraine',

http://www.greenchronicle.com/garden...osemary_q4.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Franz Heymann

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious chop. How much

can I
take off without killing it?

As much as you please, as long as you leave the odd bit of green growth
below your cut.

Franz

Old 21-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Philip

I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious chop. How
much can I
take off without killing it?

Thanks )
Lorraine

I dont think your Rosemary will regenerate from 'brown' wood. So cut
into the green parts all you like, but dont go down into the brown.

If it really is much too big then you will not be able to reduce the
size enough without cutting into the brown wood. In which case
cuttings are your best bet.

Old 21-11-2003, 01:04 PM
David Hill

".......... I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious chop.
How much can I take off without killing it?........"

I would put in some cuttings, some don't survive the hard cutting that they
get.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......... I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious

chop.
How much can I take off without killing it?........"

I would put in some cuttings, some don't survive the hard cutting that

they
get.

I have grown rosemary all my lengthy adult life and have never lost one
except by intent. Whenever I have had to reduce them, I have simply
followed the rule of making sure that there is at least a vestige of green
growth left below the cut.

Franz

Old 21-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......... I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious

chop.
How much can I take off without killing it?........"

I would put in some cuttings, some don't survive the hard cutting that

they
get.

I have grown rosemary all my lengthy adult life and have never lost one
except by intent. Whenever I have had to reduce them, I have simply
followed the rule of making sure that there is at least a vestige of green
growth left below the cut.

It is VERY dependent on the conditions. I have lost many, and the
soil here is 60% sand and only 22% clay, but there is some fungus
that causes root rot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......... I have an old and sprawling rosemary which needs a serious

chop.
How much can I take off without killing it?........"

I would put in some cuttings, some don't survive the hard cutting that

they
get.

I have grown rosemary all my lengthy adult life and have never lost one
except by intent. Whenever I have had to reduce them, I have simply
followed the rule of making sure that there is at least a vestige of

green
growth left below the cut.

It is VERY dependent on the conditions. I have lost many, and the
soil here is 60% sand and only 22% clay, but there is some fungus
that causes root rot.

My first 3 decades of gardening were on the Bagshot sands.
The past 2 decades have been on good loam, very slightly on the acid side,
less than 6 inches on broken sandstone bedrock. I have never been aware of
deleterious fungal problems.

Franz

Old 23-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I recommend layering it, which will
give you new plants after a year. You can then remove the old bush
entirely.

Or just put a cutting in a pot - it can be more convenient than layering.

My success rate with cuttings is a lot lower than for layering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

My first 3 decades of gardening were on the Bagshot sands.
The past 2 decades have been on good loam, very slightly on the acid side,
less than 6 inches on broken sandstone bedrock. I have never been aware of
deleterious fungal problems.

I'm on soggy clay. I have lost one to a fungal like thing - there
appears to be a grey fungal blob at the base of all the leaves on one
stem, then all the leaves on that stem go brown and die, and gradually
the whole plant gets taken over. I think one of the otehrs got it but I
caught it in time. All the rest are still flourishing.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Pruning of young rosemary plants? MC Australia 4 13-07-2004 05:03 AM
[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Rosemary Wanda Australia 1 25-08-2003 01:12 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM