Old 03-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Greenhouse

Look on the bright side. It's not unheard of for a husband to give his
wife the same Christmas present again in subsequent years, on the
grounds that she liked it so much the first time :~}

That's why I get a large bottle of gin every year.

Nothing if not predictable, my Spouse.

Always looking for the easy option, saves him thinking :-)

Mary

Janet

Old 03-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
Automatic vents are a mustmustmust ...

Don't accept a greenhouse without them.

Mary

And as soon as you can *more* of them - as David has already said, no small
greenhouses are made with sufficient ventilation as standard.

Rod

Old 03-12-2003, 11:04 PM
David Hill

"............Automatic vents are a mustmustmust ......."

YES ........ but don't get them yet, wait for the Argos Spring/Summer
catalogue, they do a very good automatic vent for around £15.00.,
I have had one working for the last 8 years,

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 04-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article m, anita
writes

i am going to grow anything i can fit in there !!!!!
The children want to grow some tomatoes in there, I keep making my
mind, up then changing it when i see something else. I have only been
gardening for about 9 months so I am still learning and finding out
about different plants.
I will be growing lots of flowers from seed for the front garden for a
start, but i will let you know plants i end up with. Cacti sound good,
so i am off to check out them!!!!
--

You'll need to heat it in the winter for cacti. And make sure you really
like them - they last for years! - some of mine are over 40 years old.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Dave Chalton

Make sure that the foundations are good as other posters have stated but
also give them enough height say 2 to 3 ft, gives you more space

For sure on the foundations, the higher you build the base walls, the
better headroom you'll have. I put mine in at ground level, and being
6 foot tall, can barely stand up-right even down the middle.
Auto-vents also available from B&Q, again for about £15, and theyre
easy to fit. You could consider growing chilis, though I wouldn't
plant them right now. Stick them in a seed tray in a warm place about
february/march time, and you should be ok.

Dave Chalton

Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Chadwick

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
--
anita
Anita X

Try to avoid an exposed location where it may be vulnerable
to the very high winds we have been getting in recent times.
Once one pane blows out the rest will follow, and flying glass
can bedevasting. also, it is said that frost does not kill a plant
until the sun shines on it, so go for the last rays of the setting
sun rather than the first rays of the dawn. Happy Gardening !
Jim Chadwick.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Chadwick
"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
--
anita
Anita X

Try to avoid an exposed location where it may be vulnerable
to the very high winds we have been getting in recent times.
Once one pane blows out the rest will follow, and flying glass
can bedevasting. also, it is said that frost does not kill a plant
until the sun shines on it, so go for the last rays of the setting
sun rather than the first rays of the dawn. Happy Gardening !
Jim Chadwick.

Thankyou everyone, for all you kind words and good advice, I will let you know how i get on,
Anita X

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM