Old 02-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire
Default Greenhouse

Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
__________________
Anita X
Old 02-12-2003, 06:55 PM
JennyC

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
anita

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

GH's are wonderful things to own and use. What are you planning to grow on in
yours ?

Mine's full of cacti & succulents :~)
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

Here are a couple of interesting 'GH' sites:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/greenhouse/

http://www.gardentimeonline.com/Gree...Gardening.html

Jenny

Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by JennyC
"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
anita

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

GH's are wonderful things to own and use. What are you planning to grow on in
yours ?

Mine's full of cacti & succulents :~)
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

Here are a couple of interesting 'GH' sites:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/greenhouse/

http://www.gardentimeonline.com/Gree...Gardening.html

Jenny

Thanks Jenny

i am going to grow anything i can fit in there !!!!!
The children want to grow some tomatoes in there, I keep making my mind, up then changing it when i see something else. I have only been gardening for about 9 months so I am still learning and finding out about different plants.
I will be growing lots of flowers from seed for the front garden for a start, but i will let you know plants i end up with. Cacti sound good, so i am off to check out them!!!!
__________________
Anita X
Old 02-12-2003, 08:07 PM
JennyC

"anita" wrote .
JennyC wrote:
Hi Everyone
I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)

snip
GH's are wonderful things to own and use. What are you planning to
grow on in yours ?

Thanks Jenny

i am going to grow anything i can fit in there !!!!!
The children want to grow some tomatoes in there, I keep making my
mind, up then changing it when i see something else. I have only been
gardening for about 9 months so I am still learning and finding out
about different plants.
I will be growing lots of flowers from seed for the front garden for a
start, but i will let you know plants i end up with. Cacti sound good,
so i am off to check out them!!!!
anita

Tomatoes are good to start off with as they are pretty easy to grow !

Sow some Basil seed in spring and enjoy the wonderful scent every time you brush
past + home made pesto .........:~)

How big will your GH be ? And will you have staging or plant straight into the
soil ?

Jenny

Old 02-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:58:52 GMT, anita
wrote:

Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!

Put it on really good foundations.

--
Chris

Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Mary Fisher

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!

I want advice about what I should be sowing NOW!

I've forgotten what I did last year ... old age is a terrible thing ...

Mary
--
anita
Anita X

Old 02-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Rod

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
--
anita
Anita X

Tell Santa that size really does matter ;~))) You need a really big one
please. Whatever size you get it is never going to be big enough. Bigger
greenhouses are also easier to control temperature wise. Early salad stuff
is nice even simple things like mustard & cress - that's something quick &
easy for the kids to do. Unless it's well heated and you have somewhere to
move still tender young plants on to, don't be in too much of a hurry to
get things like bedding plants sown - wait 'til the days get a bit longer.
Same with tomatoes unless they are going to stay in the heated greenhouse.
Have some space for things that are going to live in the greenhouse and
some for a succession of things that are going to be moved through as the
season goes on - like your bedding plants, early veg for growing outside
etc.

Rod

Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 AM
David Hill

".......... I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world) ........"

My commiserations..........it won't be big enough.
If you can get one you can add to it will help.
has it got sufficient ventilation? used to work on 1/8th of the roof area
should be vents.
Don't think of planting it till it is up, and remember a packet of seed may
be sown in half a seed tray, pricked out you need poss 2 or 3 trays, potted
up they will take 10 trays space.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by David Hill
".......... I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world) ........"

My commiserations..........it won't be big enough.
If you can get one you can add to it will help.
has it got sufficient ventilation? used to work on 1/8th of the roof area
should be vents.
Don't think of planting it till it is up, and remember a packet of seed may
be sown in half a seed tray, pricked out you need poss 2 or 3 trays, potted
up they will take 10 trays space.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
***2004 catalogue now available***
Thanks for the advice everyone
The greenhouse is 8 x 6 with a brick base, I was going to leave some space to plant in the ground inside with a path down the middle it has two vents to start with (It is very basic but its a start)
should i put bubble wrap inside to keep warm before starting on plants, i have not got heater yet still looking a different types
__________________
Anita X
Old 03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

".......... I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world) ........"

My commiserations..........it won't be big enough.

LOL, how true.

Look on the bright side. It's not unheard of for a husband to give his
wife the same Christmas present again in subsequent years, on the
grounds that she liked it so much the first time :~}

Janet

Old 03-12-2003, 03:59 PM
martin

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 00:35:34 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

".......... I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world) ........"

My commiserations..........it won't be big enough.

LOL, how true.

Look on the bright side. It's not unheard of for a husband to give his
wife the same Christmas present again in subsequent years, on the
grounds that she liked it so much the first time :~}

Is that a subtle hint Janet? :-)

Kew Gardens started as a cloche, not many people know that :-)
--
Martin
Old 03-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Mark

In article m, anita
writes
Hi Everyone

I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world)

Has anyone any tips or advice before I put start putting everything
together and run out to the shops for loads of seeds!
--
anita
Anita X

Make sure that the foundations are good as other posters have stated but
also give them enough height say 2 to 3 ft, gives you more space
--
Mark
Old 03-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......... I am getting a greenhouse for christmas (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!)
(Sorry I just had to tell the world) ........"

My commiserations..........it won't be big enough.
If you can get one you can add to it will help.
has it got sufficient ventilation? used to work on 1/8th of the roof area
should be vents.

Automatic vents are a mustmustmust ...

Don't accept a greenhouse without them.

Mary

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM