Old 22-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Dwayne

Default Growing cherries

You might try one other thing. Hang old CDs from some of the limbs. When
the wind blows them it keeps our "wimpy" birds away. The only problem is
that you may have to untangle them regularly.

Dwayne

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
The message
from Rod contains these words:

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

We've got Stella and another variety whose name I've forgotten both
on Colt and
after over 20yrs they are still small enough to fit in a specially made

high
fruit cage. The bad news is we're having to fortify the cage because
the birds
will get through just about anything if there's ripening cherries the

other
side. As for Dwayne's wimpy merkin birds that don't care for unripe
cherries -
well ours are made of sterner stuff - just the first flush of yellow and
they're down a blackbird's (or jay's neck). It was years before we

realised
Stella was supposed to be red. I have no experience of newer stocks but

they
should be small enough to cage relatively easily. I would forget
cherries as a
fruit crop if you can't cage them, but don't let that put you off
growing them:
they will hold their own with the best ornamental varieties, the trees

will
stay compact and the roots won't overrun the garden (if they *are* an
dwarfing
stocks)
--

Thanks for this and all the other helpful replies.
It had occurred to me that just to have one for bird food might not be a

Janet G.

Old 22-12-2003, 09:13 AM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:33:20 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Being the only one in step makes it harder to extract the pith from your
posts....

:-)
--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 02:02 PM
David Hill

"........Being the only one in step makes it harder to extract the pith
from your posts........."

Reminds me of the story of "The kings new cloths"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-12-2003, 02:03 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:43:11 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Being the only one in step makes it harder to extract the pith
from your posts.........

Reminds me of the story of "The kings new cloths"

As it's Christmas, perhaps you'd like to retell it, David?
--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"........Being the only one in step makes it harder to extract the pith
from your posts........."

Reminds me of the story of "The kings new cloths"

What did he clean with them?

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 29-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Tumbleweed

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

snip

Replace 'likely' with 'certain'

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 30-12-2003, 06:06 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

Replace 'likely' with 'certain'

Almost certainly true. What we did with our Stella cherry in 2002 was to
wait until the fruits were beginning to form up after flowering, then we
hung CDs [must be AOL!] among the branches. We actually picked a
reasonable crop of very nice cherries that year. In 2003, the tree
flowered well but almost no fruits formed, so even the birds didn't get
any. Now I am wondering if the AOL discs may have carried a virus? ;-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

Yes. It is far more economical in time, money and temper to buy cherries at
a supermarket, unless you specifically grow them for the delectation of the
birds, as we did.

Franz