Old 26-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Paul

Default Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush) problems

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Mine's in the garden and hasn't been harmed by the frost in the lasts 8
years Paul. It has flowered every year and it is about 5 foot wide and
five foot tall and not in a particularly sheltered spot so perhaps they
just like a bit of room to grow? The seed is easy to germinate if you
wait a year and let the seed dry on the shrub then bring in the
'pods/seed cases' and put them somewhere really warm, like a mantelpiece
over a fire. After 24 hours millions of tiny seeds like dust come out of
the cone type seed heads.

Janet

Janet

Thanks for this. A supplementary query from my friend, Susan - I've been
asked to ask you if you could tell me a bit more about where the seeds are
on the plant - presumably somewhere around the flowers?! And when do they
appear?

Paul

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Paul

Janet

My friend, Susan, has asked if you have any more information about the
seeds - where they are in relation to the flowers, when they are 'available'
etc!

Thanks! Paul

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Paul
writes
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other

leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what

might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 27-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Fran

"Paul" wrote in message

My friend, Susan, has asked if you have any more information about the
seeds - where they are in relation to the flowers, when they are

'available'
etc!

They are on the stems of the bush, down the stems behind the flowers. They
are largish nuts about a cm in diameter and they will remain on the bush for
years.

Go to:
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...s.php?show=765
and scroll down to 'callistemon citrinus' and look at the 2nd picture which
shows a branch with seed pods. Double click to enlarge. Cut off the part
of the branch with the nuts on it, trim the branch so just the nuts are left
(the pruning will do the bush a lot of good) and put the nuts in a paper bag
and then put them in a car on a hot day and the nuts will open and drop the
seeds which can then be sown.

Old 27-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Paul
writes
Janet

My friend, Susan, has asked if you have any more information about the
seeds - where they are in relation to the flowers, when they are 'available'
etc!

Thanks! Paul

Well they should actually be quite obvious by now Paul. Here the flowers
were comes a sort of dark brown pod that ripens into a very hard coated
structure all along the part of the stem where the flowers were. When
it's about a year old you take this off completely and put it somewhere
very warm, make sure you have paper or something underneath it. You'll
find trillions of seed fall out of the cone like structure when all the
pores open. It's like dust.

Mine always germinates but I can send you a seed 'pod' if you want to
try one!

janet