Old 25-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Garden is now a pond

In article ,
Janet Baraclough .. wrote:
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

Alternatively, take the advice to build up some parts and lower others and
then follow my previous advice re draining it from the lowest point.

Personally I am wary of this "you may have a case..." thing.

Litigation is a pain in the wallet and you can easily turn this situation to
your gardening advantage.

Litigation isn't necessary; there are trade and planning standards
which housebuilders are meant to conform to, before the building's
completion certificate and construction guarantee can be awarded. ...

Yes. I agree that you don't want to involve lawyers if you can avoid
it, but a garden that floods to a depth of 3-4" is not a joke, and one
that does that and doesn't drain is a serious problem. In particular,
it sounds as if there is a potential problem with it causing damp
problems in the house. Add that little lot together, and one if not
talking minor inconveniences, but serious monetary loss.

Of course, it MAY not be that bad, but it definitely justifies some
expenditure on checking and/or sorting out.

And, as you point out, there are MANY stages before you need to
actually litigate. A good lawyer will get you 90% of the maximum
without doing more than writing firm letters.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:36:17 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Ah, but guess what Nick does for a living.........

water diviner?

Nope. I have done it, but never professionally, and would not regard
it as one of my main skills :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-01-2004, 10:42 PM
martin

On 25 Jan 2004 22:01:33 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough .. wrote:
[...]

As I said before, the recent amount of rain was abnormally high, if
the fields around these parts flooded, despite the biggest pumps in
Europe being used to control the level of the water table, then I
wouldn't worry too much about 3-4" of water on a garden, if it doesn't
persist.
--
Martin
Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Nick Wagg

martin wrote:

As I said before, the recent amount of rain was abnormally high, if
the fields around these parts flooded, despite the biggest pumps in
Europe being used to control the level of the water table, then I
wouldn't worry too much about 3-4" of water on a garden, if it doesn't
persist.

Move house. Given the changes in policy towards flooding across the
whole of the EU, some day someone is going to decide that the cost of
running the biggest pumps in Europe to maintain the water table is
no longer feasible.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Nick Wagg

martin wrote:

As I said before, the recent amount of rain was abnormally high, if
the fields around these parts flooded, despite the biggest pumps in
Europe being used to control the level of the water table, then I
wouldn't worry too much about 3-4" of water on a garden, if it doesn't
persist.

Move house. Given the changes in policy towards flooding across the
whole of the EU, some day someone is going to decide that the cost of
running the biggest pumps in Europe to maintain the water table is
no longer feasible.
--
Nick Wagg

I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond. Doug[_5_] United Kingdom 40 02-02-2012 07:25 AM
stock market huckster are running out of carefully cultivated myths(that transfers your wealth to them)that are falling to reality, buy and hold, invest for the long term, stocks are cheap right now, and now the biggie:Diversification [email protected] Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:18 PM
2005 Gladiolus Catalog is Now Mailing. Accepting New Requests Now Summerville World-Wide Gladiolus Gardening 1 09-02-2005 12:16 PM
Koi Now have the Pond! Nedra Ponds 2 15-08-2003 04:42 PM
snails - now you see them, now you don't Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:17 AM