Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Curiosity

Default Garden is now a pond

Hi

I have recently visited my new bungalow which is nearing completion,
the builder is turfing the front garden but the rest of the garden is
up to me.

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

It looks like I will have to hire a rotavator and put in some sort of
land drainage.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

TIA

Paul
Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Brian Watson

"Curiosity" wrote in message

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

Accept the inevitable and design in a water garden at the lowest point for
the water to drain into.

An automatic bilge pump arrangement can be set up to dump any surplus into a
nearby drain (which I am assuming will run at a lower level than your
garden).

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, winner of The English And Welsh Village Of The Year

Old 24-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Curiosity

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:03:16 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message
.. .

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

Accept the inevitable and design in a water garden at the lowest point for
the water to drain into.

The plot is absolutely flat with no slope at all.
An automatic bilge pump arrangement can be set up to dump any surplus into a
nearby drain (which I am assuming will run at a lower level than your
garden).

There is a land drain running along the edge of the field,
unfortunately it runs alongside someone else's plot. I have been
monitoring the build for almost 9 months and have never seen this
amount of surface water before.

Another thought occurs to me might to raise the level of the garden
slightly above the field with another load of topsoil ?.

Old 24-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Curiosity contains these words:

I have recently visited my new bungalow which is nearing completion,
the builder is turfing the front garden but the rest of the garden is
up to me.

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

It looks like I will have to hire a rotavator and put in some sort of
land drainage.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

I think you have answered your own question in the subject field.

But if you are hell-bent on terra-firma I'd spread a lorryload of
mushroom compost mixed with sharp sand, and top-dress with whiting.
That's calcium carbonate, not Merlangus merlangus, BTW.

The worms will soon get it back to free-draining condition. (FSVO 'soon')

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Neil

"Curiosity" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently visited my new bungalow which is nearing completion,
the builder is turfing the front garden but the rest of the garden is
up to me.

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

It looks like I will have to hire a rotavator and put in some sort of
land drainage.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

TIA

Paul

Hi, I specialize in new gardens so this is familiar! The soil structure has
been damaged to some depth. Digging bores may help initially. You need to
turn a good depth to sort the problem out. The old fashion double-dig is
best and you get to work some added nutrients in as well. If the sub-soil
is clay and near the surface then add some land-drain piping or a channel
dug and part filled with gravel running into your soak-away. If the soil is
not clay you could upset the water levels for your finished garden.
Neil Faulkner
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 24-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Curiosity wrote:
Hi

I have recently visited my new bungalow which is nearing completion,
the builder is turfing the front garden but the rest of the garden is
up to me.

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

It looks like I will have to hire a rotavator and put in some sort of
land drainage.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

No, DON'T do that! This is a FAQ. Since you are having a bungalow
built, you have a case against the architect or builder if your
hypothesis is correct.

The first thing to do is to get the soil checked. If you are on
impermeable subsoil (e.g. clay), a soakaway will just fill up in
winter. You will need a drainage channel to somewhere that will
take the surplus.

If not, then you can get the BUILDER to provide a proper soakaway,
and do make sure that it is man enough for the job, which usually
means a LOT bigger than you think. Similarly, if the solution is
a drainage channel.

If you are on impermeable soil and there is nowhere to drain the
water to, the problem is SERIOUS. Get an expert in.

In all cases, you may well need a solicitor, and I would advise
talking to one, pronto.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Steve Harris

Was the land flooded or at least very damp last year? If it was, it
suggests it's the site not the builder at fault. Compaction by builders
often makes sites look more flooded than before but if there's serious
deterioration, it may be they've "broken" something.

But you need proper advice on site.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 24-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Curiosity wrote:

Yes I agree here, this flooding has happened after the recent heavy
snow falls in the area, I have never seen the garden flood like this
over the previous 9 -10 months I have been visiting the building site.

Well, that implies that you didn't see it last winter. If it hasn't
happened earlier this year AND it drains away reasonably fast this
time, then you probably have nothing much to worry about and you can
get the builder to provide a soakaway.

But it is also possible that it has taken this long since the rain
started (last October?) for the subsoil to saturate and it will not
now drain until March. In that case, fiddling with a soakaway will
not help and you need to take serious action.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Brian Watson

"Curiosity" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:03:16 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message
.. .

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep.

Accept the inevitable and design in a water garden at the lowest point

for
the water to drain into.

The plot is absolutely flat with no slope at all.

Welcome to the fens.

:-/

Alternatively, take the advice to build up some parts and lower others and
then follow my previous advice re draining it from the lowest point.

Personally I am wary of this "you may have a case..." thing.

Litigation is a pain in the wallet and you can easily turn this situation to
your gardening advantage.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 25-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

The plot is absolutely flat with no slope at all.

Welcome to the fens.

:-/

Alternatively, take the advice to build up some parts and lower others and
then follow my previous advice re draining it from the lowest point.

Personally I am wary of this "you may have a case..." thing.

Litigation is a pain in the wallet and you can easily turn this situation to
your gardening advantage.

Ah, but guess what Nick does for a living.........

Old 25-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

Alternatively, take the advice to build up some parts and lower others and
then follow my previous advice re draining it from the lowest point.

Personally I am wary of this "you may have a case..." thing.

Litigation is a pain in the wallet and you can easily turn this situation to
your gardening advantage.

Litigation isn't necessary; there are trade and planning standards
which housebuilders are meant to conform to, before the building's
completion certificate and construction guarantee can be awarded. The
building must pass planning and building control standards to satisfy
building insurance companies and mortgage lenders. Regardless of whether
the builder is responsible for landscaping the back garden, he's
responsible for surface water drainage surrounding the house. Three
inches of standing water throughout winter on a flat site might breach a
dampcourse or rise up under floors. The OP can take it up with the
builder (in writing), and then the planning dept, local building control
etc. Ultimately, you with-hold payment until the building meets the
legally required standard.

Incidentally, you can only drain a garden from its lowest point if
there's somewhere lower, and legal, for the water to go. Getting that
wrong (piping it into next door's garden for example) is far more likely
to involve the poster in litigation, than making sure the builder meets
normal contract standards.

Janet
Old 25-01-2004, 09:49 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:36:17 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Ah, but guess what Nick does for a living.........

water diviner?
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

Ah, but guess what Nick does for a living.........

water diviner?

Nope. I have done it, but never professionally, and would not regard
it as one of my main skills :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond. Doug[_5_] United Kingdom 40 02-02-2012 07:25 AM
stock market huckster are running out of carefully cultivated myths(that transfers your wealth to them)that are falling to reality, buy and hold, invest for the long term, stocks are cheap right now, and now the biggie:Diversification [email protected] Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:18 PM
2005 Gladiolus Catalog is Now Mailing. Accepting New Requests Now Summerville World-Wide Gladiolus Gardening 1 09-02-2005 12:16 PM
Koi Now have the Pond! Nedra Ponds 2 15-08-2003 04:42 PM
snails - now you see them, now you don't Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:17 AM