Old 25-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Quick vine question!

Can I grow a grape vine/kiwi fruit plant in large pots, or does it have to
be in deep soil? The wall that I want to grow them up is next to a concrete
drive, and a good few metres from the nearest deep soil.

(I haven't got a dead donkey to bury under it so I don't need room for
that!)

Thanks in advance as ever,

Andrew

Old 25-01-2004, 12:06 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:18:01 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Can I grow a grape vine/kiwi fruit plant in large pots,

a vine yes

--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

Can I grow a grape vine/kiwi fruit plant in large pots,

a vine yes

But a Chinese gooseberry (vine) would require a much larger pot than a
grape vine.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Andy Hunt

Can I grow a grape vine/kiwi fruit plant in large pots,

a vine yes

Thanks Martin. I have my camo net up on the aforementioned wall now, as per
your recommendation (it's a huge improvement on the tatty peeling
whitewash), and I'm nearly ready to go. I'm going to put the grape vine and
kiwi fruit vine in separate, large pots, and hopefully that will do the
trick - they can grow up the camo net. I haven't actually got the vines yet,
but that's the next thing.

Andrew

Old 25-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

Thanks Martin. I have my camo net up on the aforementioned wall now, as per
your recommendation (it's a huge improvement on the tatty peeling
whitewash), and I'm nearly ready to go. I'm going to put the grape vine and
kiwi fruit vine in separate, large pots, and hopefully that will do the
trick - they can grow up the camo net. I haven't actually got the vines yet,
but that's the next thing.

Assuming they have survived the cold, I have lots of Chinese gooseberry
seedlings. However, you need a male and a female vine if you want fruit,
and I have no idea if you can tell the sexes apart before they begin to
flower.

You're welcome to some though. Or you can just set some seed straight
from a fruit. They are quite quick to germinate and easy to bring on,
though they do tend to damp-off if you're not careful.

Old 25-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Andy Hunt

Assuming they have survived the cold, I have lots of Chinese gooseberry
seedlings. However, you need a male and a female vine if you want fruit,
and I have no idea if you can tell the sexes apart before they begin to
flower.

You're welcome to some though. Or you can just set some seed straight
from a fruit

That's a really kind offer. Whereabouts are you? Would they survive the
Royal Mail, do you think?! I don't know if I have anything I could offer by
way of a trade . . .

I suppose the best thing to do would be to plant half-a-dozen plants in the
pot, and then as soon as they have flowered for the first time, get rid of
all of them except the strongest male and female. I'd have to take some
advice on how to tell them apart though!

They've got some really nice, big terracotta pots down at B&Q, they cost an
arm and a leg, but one as a luxury for the Chinese Gooseberries is in order,
I think. I've also decided to build a kind of lean-to greenhouse in the
corner of the garden (see separate thread) where I'm going to have the
vines, where the house meets the highest garden wall. It gets all the
morning sun, but not so much directly in the afternoon. There's stuff
growing there now, so hopefully it will be OK. In fact, some hyacinths have
come up in that corner, which surprised me because someone told me they
wouldn't come up until March. My garden is very warm and sheltered though,
for the frozen North.

Hopefully having the vines in this improvised greenhouse will increase my
chances of a decent crop of grapes and gooseberries! And it will be nice to
be able to sit inside it with a cuppa on a rainy day.

Andrew

Old 26-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

You're welcome to some though. Or you can just set some seed straight
from a fruit

That's a really kind offer. Whereabouts are you? Would they survive the
Royal Mail, do you think?! I don't know if I have anything I could offer by
way of a trade . . .

Some way from you, if I have you place right. I'm just a bit south of
Norwich, and I'm sure they'd survive the Royal mail - they're only about
a centimetre high ATM, and dormant.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to plant half-a-dozen plants in the
pot, and then as soon as they have flowered for the first time, get rid of
all of them except the strongest male and female. I'd have to take some
advice on how to tell them apart though!

Do you know how big these vines get before they flower? (Rhetorical
question - *BIG* is the answer)

They've got some really nice, big terracotta pots down at B&Q, they cost an
arm and a leg, but one as a luxury for the Chinese Gooseberries is in order,
I think. I've also decided to build a kind of lean-to greenhouse in the
corner of the garden (see separate thread) where I'm going to have the
vines, where the house meets the highest garden wall. It gets all the
morning sun, but not so much directly in the afternoon. There's stuff
growing there now, so hopefully it will be OK. In fact, some hyacinths have
come up in that corner, which surprised me because someone told me they
wouldn't come up until March. My garden is very warm and sheltered though,
for the frozen North.

Don't forget to plant the vine outside and train it in to your
greenhouse. Dig a nice deep hole and pile in old bones, leather and
woollens, the last two often obtainable from chuckouts after a jumble
sale.

Hopefully having the vines in this improvised greenhouse will increase my
chances of a decent crop of grapes and gooseberries! And it will be nice to
be able to sit inside it with a cuppa on a rainy day.

Don't put the goosegogs inside or you'll have them covered in mildew. As
an indiginous hedgerow plant they are quite OK outside in all weathers.

Old 26-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Victoria Clare

"Andy Hunt" wrote in
:

Assuming they have survived the cold, I have lots of Chinese
gooseberry seedlings. However, you need a male and a female vine if
you want fruit, and I have no idea if you can tell the sexes apart
before they begin to flower.

You're welcome to some though. Or you can just set some seed straight
from a fruit

That's a really kind offer. Whereabouts are you? Would they survive
the Royal Mail, do you think?! I don't know if I have anything I could
offer by way of a trade . . .

I suppose the best thing to do would be to plant half-a-dozen plants
in the pot, and then as soon as they have flowered for the first time,
get rid of all of them except the strongest male and female. I'd have
to take some advice on how to tell them apart though!

I doubt you'll get several kiwis flowering in one pot. They are *very*
big plants, and take several years to flower.

You may just get away with planting one (self fertile cultivar) in a pot,
but I'm dubious about 2. If possible though, I'd plant into the nearest
patch of reasonable soil and train it round to where you want it to be.

It will cover several meters in a year.

Victoria
Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Bob Flowerdew in this week's Amateur Gardening recommends growing grape in
container to restrict growth and pruning. Take it outside in the winter and
in the greenhouse (or in his case polytunnel) through summer

Jon

Old 27-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I don't think I'm going to be able to, the nearest patch of real soil is
about 5 metres away from the wall the plant needs to be on, it's in the
shade and it's across a concrete drive. It's a shame. I spose I could always
smash a big hole in the drive, but I might want to use it again at some
stage . . . ! It's a nice big pot, the one I've got my eye on. It should be,
at the price!

Hopefully it will be OK. Providing I can get the right plant(s) to start
with!

Well, see if you can get a self-fertile one - I've never heard of one. I
had intended grafting a male vine onto a female and/or vice versa, but
it's a long time to wait.