Old 31-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Mel

Default Climbers from Seed

My newish fence desperately needs to be clothed in greenery. I've planted
hardy wall shrubs such as pyracantha, quince, ceonanthus, jasmine,
passiflora and clematis, but they're all still far too small to hide the
fence.

So, in the meantime I want mega-fast-growing plants to cover the fence this
year.

I'll be growing the plants from seeds, so I don't mind if they're annual. I
prefer pink, purple or blue flowery things.

I've chosen some fairly unusual, tender seeds, so can anyone tell me if
these plants will (a) cover my fence this year and (b) even grow here in NW
England?

Rhodochiton
Billardiera
Akebia
Asarina
Eccremocarpus
Cobaea
Ipomea

Or any other recommendations for mega-fast, cover-the-fence-this-summer
climbers?

Many thanks.

Old 31-01-2004, 03:11 PM
David Hill

Why not plant a mix of Runner beans and sweet peas, plenty of colour, useful
crop and fast cover.
And not expensive.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-01-2004, 03:18 PM
martin

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:49:40 -0000, "Mel" wrote:

[...]

Government surplus camouflage netting.
--
Martin

Old 31-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Sarah

i have seen pictures of black eyed susan climbing all over someones
greenhouse in The Kitchen Garden magazine and i thought that was rather
nice. And thats deffo a fast mover.

Old 31-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mel
writes
My newish fence desperately needs to be clothed in greenery. I've planted
hardy wall shrubs such as pyracantha, quince, ceonanthus, jasmine,
passiflora and clematis, but they're all still far too small to hide the
fence.

So, in the meantime I want mega-fast-growing plants to cover the fence this
year.

I'll be growing the plants from seeds, so I don't mind if they're annual. I
prefer pink, purple or blue flowery things.

I've chosen some fairly unusual, tender seeds, so can anyone tell me if
these plants will (a) cover my fence this year and (b) even grow here in NW
England?

Rhodochiton

I'm growing it in a greenhouse in Leeds but it's struggling atm, so
dodgy outside.

Billardiera
Akebia
Asarina
Eccremocarpus

Still looking happy in the greenhouse, so might be possible south facing
in a sunny spot.

Cobaea
Ipomea

Will be clobbered by frost, and can be a bit slow to flower unless grown
early and fast.

Why not try Convolvulus minor - same family as the little pink weed, but
it climbs to about 6 feet and has flowers in pink, purple and blue.
Ipomea-ish in general feel, but tolerates cooler summers better.

Apart from that, try some of the sweet peas and the other Lathyrus
species. Matucana is an old fashioned highly fragrant sweet pea in two-
tone purple. Lathyrus sativus has a variety with very striking steel
blue flowers.

Or a purple-leaved purple-podded climbing French bean - handsome, and
you could eat it too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 31-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:

Akebia

Quinata? If so, it is very deciduous, not that densely leafy, but
no problem outside. Its stems are fairly short-lived, but it shoots
from the base and layers readily. It takes a few years to establish,
and will not flower until then.

Eccremocarpus

Still looking happy in the greenhouse, so might be possible south facing
in a sunny spot.

It is. It dies down in winter, but will reseed as well as overwinter.
However, it is tricky to establish. I did it once, but have failed
several times since. It will usually flower the first year.

Cobaea

Very annual in Cambridge, and doesn't seem to flower until autumn.
I don't know if it needs a long growing season, or is day length
constrained.

Ipomea

Will be clobbered by frost, and can be a bit slow to flower unless grown
early and fast.

Which? There are lots, and most are strongly annual. The hardier ones
will flower the first year but, as you say, some won't get there.

Why not try Convolvulus minor - same family as the little pink weed, but
it climbs to about 6 feet and has flowers in pink, purple and blue.
Ipomea-ish in general feel, but tolerates cooler summers better.

And various other species - I have never worked out how to tell them
apart.

Apart from that, try some of the sweet peas and the other Lathyrus
species. Matucana is an old fashioned highly fragrant sweet pea in two-
tone purple. Lathyrus sativus has a variety with very striking steel
blue flowers.

Agreed.

Or a purple-leaved purple-podded climbing French bean - handsome, and
you could eat it too.

And, as someone says, common or garden runner beans.

Tropaeolum major (nasturtium) is good, if you can find the climbing
form, as is T. peregrinum. Again, both need sun and warmth. T. major
is a good salad ingredient, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM