Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Use of Sulphur

"martin" wrote in message after Tony
wrote:

Anyway, sulphur is I think a fairly good fungicide, it is still used
as a constituent of Bordeaux mixture and is used as a spray for vines
whose grapes can be made into organic wine.

Bordeaux mix is copper sulphate solution.

Copper Sulphate and Lime.

How anybody can see this as a healthy ecological product is beyond me.

True, but there was nothing else ( that I would use) to enable the growing
of outdoor Tomatoes until the advent of "Ferline", a Blight resistant
variety. At least it washes off easily.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tony Bull
writes
It would be fine if all the contributors to the group wrote out of a
wish to help rather than showing off all of their wonderful knowledge.

that's rather an offensive remark, isn't it? Which of us are you
accusing of being show offs?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message
I agree with you Mr Hill.

So do I.

It would be fine if all the contributors to the group wrote out of a
wish to help rather than showing off all of their wonderful knowledge.

The only posters here that I've seen showing off, have no wonderful
knowledge to impart, and nothing to say about gardening.

The original post was replied to by Sacha Hubbard, David Hill, Rod Craddock,
and Grinch.
There are two professional Nurserymen (well one is the wife of one) and a
professional Head Gardener amongst them (Grinch seems to have some
experience too) so I have difficulty with your comment Janet.
Sorry, but please explain it to a thick allotment veg grower.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message
I agree with you Mr Hill.

So do I.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Janet wrote in message
I agree with you Mr Hill.

So do I.

It would be fine if all the contributors to the group wrote out of a
wish to help rather than showing off all of their wonderful knowledge.

The only posters here that I've seen showing off, have no wonderful
knowledge to impart, and nothing to say about gardening.

The original post was replied to by Sacha Hubbard, David Hill, Rod Craddock,
and Grinch.
There are two professional Nurserymen (well one is the wife of one) and a
professional Head Gardener amongst them (Grinch seems to have some
experience too) so I have difficulty with your comment Janet.
Sorry, but please explain it to a thick allotment veg grower.

I understood this exchange to mean:

first poster said something on the lines of - if only some people would
reply out of helpfulness and not for the sake of showing off their
knowledge

and Janet replied that the only people she had seen showing off were
those who had very *little* knowledge to impart.

It seems to me that Janet's response was in defence of the knowledgeable
posters in urg, and that the post she was responding to could be taken
to suggest that Sacha etc were responding only to show off.

In which case, you are taking to task the wrong person!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Janet wrote in message
I agree with you Mr Hill.

So do I.

It would be fine if all the contributors to the group wrote out of a
wish to help rather than showing off all of their wonderful knowledge.

The only posters here that I've seen showing off, have no wonderful
knowledge to impart, and nothing to say about gardening.

The original post was replied to by Sacha Hubbard, David Hill, Rod Craddock,
and Grinch.
There are two professional Nurserymen (well one is the wife of one) and a
professional Head Gardener amongst them (Grinch seems to have some
experience too) so I have difficulty with your comment Janet.
Sorry, but please explain it to a thick allotment veg grower.

You got the wrong end of the stick. I hope David, Sacha and Rod have
more sense than to think I was referring to them; in the same post I had
just endorsed David's comments on rudeness to people who respond to
gardening questions.

By referring to "all the contributors to the group" Tony Bull moved
the conversation on from the thread participants, to include *everybody*
in the group who tries to answer gardening questions. He suggests that
we do it to show off what we know, not to help. I regard that as an
unpleasant and inaccurate slur. The position of my reply underneath his
comment shows the attentive reader that I was responding to it.

To paraphrase my view;

The only posters I have seen showing off in this newsgroup are the
ignorant boors and trolls who have nothing to say about gardening and
are here for some other purpose.

Janet.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Janet wrote in message
I agree with you Mr Hill.

So do I.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message after Bob

"Janet wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear! As I said in my post, I didn't understand her comment, it made no
sense to me as it seemed to relate to knowledgeable gardeners; but as you
have pointed out, obviously I must have read it the wrong way. It happens.
Sorry if my stupid misunderstanding offended anyone.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message
[...]

[IBC] Use of Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 28-08-2004 01:35 PM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 2 25-08-2004 11:34 AM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 0 25-08-2004 10:58 AM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 12:44 PM
where to get flowers of sulphur ken sands United Kingdom 7 17-01-2003 08:31 PM