Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default mares tail

The message
from Thes contains these words:

Horsetail absorbs gold dissolved in water better than most plants, as much
as 4 ounces per ton of fresh stalk".

Eh? Gold is soluble in water?! Here I was thinking it was inert...
That's a new one on me!

It will be gold salts. In fact, anything is soluble in water to a
greater to lesser extent.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tom Bennett" contains these words:

Horsetail absorbs gold dissolved in water better than most plants, as much
as 4 ounces per ton of fresh stalk".

When a ton is rendered to ash it's a *LOT* lighter, and the gold ir
really quite easy to extract - FSVO easy.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

Horsetail absorbs gold dissolved in water better than most plants, as much
as 4 ounces per ton of fresh stalk".

If gold dissolves in water, how come one can pan for it in streams?

I don't know its solubility, but there is about 55 pounds dissolved in
a cubic mile of seawater. Water is close to a universal solvent :-)

I'm interested in a method of extraction from a cubic mile of seawater
as I have this (or at least the edge of same) just outside my front
door. Any references?

:-))

--
Malcolm Ogilvie

Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

Horsetail absorbs gold dissolved in water better than most plants, as much
as 4 ounces per ton of fresh stalk".

If gold dissolves in water, how come one can pan for it in streams?

I don't know its solubility, but there is about 55 pounds dissolved in
a cubic mile of seawater. Water is close to a universal solvent :-)

I'm interested in a method of extraction from a cubic mile of seawater
as I have this (or at least the edge of same) just outside my front
door. Any references?

Rumous has it that there have been a few patents, but the inventors
failed to get financial backing to develop their ideas.

You could try cross-breeding kelp and horsetail :-)

More seriously, one of the most serious of the many crimes that should
be laid at the door of Monsanto is blocking development of the only
likely method of removing heavy metal contamination from large areas
of soil. Quite a few people were interested in breeding plants that
absorb such things, not to sell the metal, but to clean up the soil.
But Monsanto's evil plans got all genetic modification and extreme
plant breeding tarred with the same brush.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Tom Bennett
writes
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
big snip
. In areas where there is gold, significant quantities can be
recovered by cutting horsetails and burning them, and refining the ash.
I can't remember where I read that - or heard it, but I've never been
able to test the intelligence in the forty or more years I've had it in
the back of my mind. Either there is a plethora of horsetail and a lack
of gold in the area, or a fair amount of dispersed gold, but no sign of
horsetails.

See http://www.puralibre.com/html/eng_ho...l.html#History which says:

Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

Horsetail absorbs gold dissolved in water better than most plants, as much
as 4 ounces per ton of fresh stalk".

If gold dissolves in water, how come one can pan for it in streams?

I don't know its solubility, but there is about 55 pounds dissolved in
a cubic mile of seawater. Water is close to a universal solvent :-)

I'm interested in a method of extraction from a cubic mile of seawater
as I have this (or at least the edge of same) just outside my front
door. Any references?

:-))

--
Malcolm Ogilvie

mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 2 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM