Old 02-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Steve Harris

Default Pos Radish Munchen Bier

I've got a packet of seeds for this and to my surprise, it states "Sow
Outside July-August". This seems very late? I know with some oriental
radishes, you plant them late to stop them bolting but with a pod
radish, you WANT it to bolt?

Comments from those who have grown then?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Max Wright

In message , Steve
Harris writes
I've got a packet of seeds for this and to my surprise, it states "Sow
Outside July-August". This seems very late? I know with some oriental
radishes, you plant them late to stop them bolting but with a pod
radish, you WANT it to bolt?

I grew these last year and sowed them towards the end of March. They
did fine, producing pods in June and July. Probably you'd sow in
July/August if you wanted them to behave like winter radishes.

Two things to bear in mind, though: they do grow pretty tall, 5 or 6
feet, and have a tendency to fall over; and they're quite productive, so
you probably won't want that many plants.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 02-02-2004, 01:40 PM
martin

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes
I've got a packet of seeds for this and to my surprise, it states "Sow
Outside July-August". This seems very late? I know with some oriental
radishes, you plant them late to stop them bolting but with a pod
radish, you WANT it to bolt?

I grew these last year and sowed them towards the end of March. They
did fine, producing pods in June and July. Probably you'd sow in
July/August if you wanted them to behave like winter radishes.

Two things to bear in mind, though: they do grow pretty tall, 5 or 6
feet, and have a tendency to fall over; and they're quite productive, so
you probably won't want that many plants.

and you'll need one of those Bavarian tools that cuts them into nice
spirals and a few litres of Ayinger beer of course :-)
--
Martin
Old 02-02-2004, 01:43 PM
martin

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes

Old 02-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes
I've got a packet of seeds for this and to my surprise, it states "Sow
Outside July-August". This seems very late? I know with some oriental
radishes, you plant them late to stop them bolting but with a pod
radish, you WANT it to bolt?

I grew these last year and sowed them towards the end of March. They
did fine, producing pods in June and July. Probably you'd sow in
July/August if you wanted them to behave like winter radishes.

Two things to bear in mind, though: they do grow pretty tall, 5 or 6
feet, and have a tendency to fall over; and they're quite productive, so
you probably won't want that many plants.

and you'll need one of those Bavarian tools that cuts them into nice
spirals and a few litres of Ayinger beer of course :-)

Never mind the spirals, I'd love to have a tool that'll cut them into a few
litres of Ayinger beer.

Franz

Old 02-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes

Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
martin

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:17:30 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes
I've got a packet of seeds for this and to my surprise, it states "Sow
Outside July-August". This seems very late? I know with some oriental
radishes, you plant them late to stop them bolting but with a pod
radish, you WANT it to bolt?

I grew these last year and sowed them towards the end of March. They
did fine, producing pods in June and July. Probably you'd sow in
July/August if you wanted them to behave like winter radishes.

Two things to bear in mind, though: they do grow pretty tall, 5 or 6
feet, and have a tendency to fall over; and they're quite productive, so
you probably won't want that many plants.

and you'll need one of those Bavarian tools that cuts them into nice
spirals and a few litres of Ayinger beer of course :-)

Never mind the spirals, I'd love to have a tool that'll cut them into a few
litres of Ayinger beer.

You shall go to the ball
http://www.ayinger-bier.de/homepage.html
--
Martin
Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
martin

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:17:30 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:43:33 +0000, Max Wright
wrote:

In message , Steve
Harris writes

Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Max Wright

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Max Wright) wrote:

they do grow pretty tall, 5 or 6
feet, and have a tendency to fall over; and they're quite productive,
so you probably won't want that many plants.

Thanks. How wide do they grow? My current plan is to plant one and allow
it an 18" x 18" square of ground

Not very wide - they're predominantly vertical. I sowed about a 2 foot
row at the edge of a bed, so I only had to worry about spacing on one
side, and a foot seemed enough. I thinned them to about 2 or 3 inches
apart in the row and they still grew vigorously. This year I'll
probably sow around a foot's worth. My seed packet doesn't give any
suggestion as to spacing but it does at least give March to September as
the sowing period.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Max Wright

In message , Steve
Harris writes

Growing radish Sue Gardening 2 15-05-2003 11:08 PM
harvesting radish seeds Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
radish for all seasons John Savage Australia 1 01-04-2003 01:32 PM
Chinese or Japanese Icicle Radish Paul England United Kingdom 4 27-01-2003 02:32 PM