Old 17-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Specimen tree

In article ,
"andrewpreece" writes:

| It may be that I'm being overcautious about the rust problem;
| I got the info off a web site ( also about it flowering only for 4 -7 days,
| and it looks like duff info if Kay is right ), but I'll double check and see
| if Amelanchiere is mentioned as rust prone anywhere else. The southwest
| is the rust epicentre of the UK and I certainly don't want a specimen tree
| that needs constant spraying! The worst affected plants I have are roses,
| hollyhocks and Tutsan ( a form of Hypericum ).

Generally, you want a plant that is fairly close to the native form
and grows in high humidity areas. Our native trees are pretty
resistant, for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Kay Easton

In article , andrewpreece
writes

It may be that I'm being overcautious about the rust problem;
I got the info off a web site ( also about it flowering only for 4 -7 days,
and it looks like duff info if Kay is right ), but I'll double check and see
if Amelanchiere is mentioned as rust prone anywhere else. The southwest
is the rust epicentre of the UK and I certainly don't want a specimen tree
that needs constant spraying! The worst affected plants I have are roses,
hollyhocks and Tutsan ( a form of Hypericum ).

Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of
anything. Roses are pretty prone to it too. I'm surprised at the Tutsan
- I have Rose of Sharon, another type of hypericum, and thought it
indestructible, though heaven knows I have tried hard enough! ;-) But it
may be that I just don't look at mine.

My Amelanchier is robustly healthy.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 18-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of

But apart from looking unsightly, does it do any harm? My hollyhocks had
terrible rust last year but still got to over 11ft tall.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 18-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of

But apart from looking unsightly, does it do any harm? My hollyhocks had
terrible rust last year but still got to over 11ft tall.

It can spread, especially to wheat - if you have any close.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 18-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

Old 18-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

Old 18-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of

But apart from looking unsightly, does it do any harm? My hollyhocks had
terrible rust last year but still got to over 11ft tall.

It can spread, especially to wheat - if you have any close.

Are you sure? There are dozens or hundreds of rusts, and most are
almost impossible to tell apart by eye and yet species-specific.
Furthermore, such things are best regarded (in the UK) as carried
by miasma, as the spores are everywhere, anyway - whether something
gets infected depends solely on the plant and conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Sykes wrote:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of

But apart from looking unsightly, does it do any harm? My hollyhocks had
terrible rust last year but still got to over 11ft tall.

Not much. My broad beans get rust every year, but usually fairly
late, and it doesn't cause trouble. One year (in 25), they got it
really badly and early, and I lost the lot. The reason was an
unusually warm, humid fortnight early on.

The wild mallows in my garden have rust every year, and I have never
seen them seriously harmed by it, and that is probably the same
rust as hollyhocks get.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Hollyhocks get rust everywhere. I don't think that's indicative of

But apart from looking unsightly, does it do any harm? My hollyhocks had
terrible rust last year but still got to over 11ft tall.

I don't know. It's not just hollyhocks - other mallow family plants get
it too, and it certainly doesn't harm the common mallow.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 23-02-2004, 03:52 PM
cross

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no

higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

Have a look at Cretaegus "Prunifolia", it is said to be one of the best
hawthorns for autumn coloured leaves and fruit.

I hope so as I have just planted one as a specimen in the lawn ;-)

Marina
E. Sx