Old 25-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Neil Jones

Default a shrub/tree for a new baby

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Not exactly answering your question, but when my daughter was born I
looked up her names in the RHS plant finder, and found that there is a
Clematis 'Anna' and a C. alpina 'Constance'. So we bought these, and
they're currently in pots but we intend to put them in the ground in due
course.

Regards

Neil

Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message m
from jayjay contains these words:

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

Roses are lovely, but not extremely longlived, and it's a bit
dispiriting for a recipient if their commemorative gift dies.

A small, very hardy, very pretty small tree which you'll easily be
able to find up there, is prunus subhirtella autumnalis rosea. (Look in
www. google, click "images", for a picture. It's a flowering cherry, and
the flowers are small, double and pale pink. Best of all, is the
extraordinary length of the flowering season. It starts around November
after the leaves fall and flowers till spring, reliably, every year. So
with luck you should find one in bloom right now. You can often get a
choice of shape; I prefer the ones which branch from low down, to the
ones with a bare straight trunk

Janet

Old 26-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Chris Stewart

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Climbing roses would be fine - magnolia's are a bit too frost tender for
here, though. Cockers Roses (Aberdeen) have a wonderful stock, locally grown
and available via the net / phone / etc
http://www.roses.uk.com/

Chris S
(in Aberdeen under 8" snow at the mo)

Old 27-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Spider

Hello Jayjay,
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
There are a few roses which have promising names, such as:
'Breath of Life'
'Glad Tidings'
'New Dawn'
'Rosy Future'
'Warm Welcome'.
Janet's suggestion of an oak tree is great, but may be too large a tree for
most gardens.
Perhaps Quick Thorn, (aka Hawthorn, May tree; Crataegus sp.) would be more
appropriate. It is a sensible size for a small garden, very hardy, and also
has the useful attribute of being tolerant of pollution. Its blossom is
extremely attractive to insects (mostly beneficial!), and its berries
attract birds. The common tag of 'Quick' is also in keeping with a new
life, meaning 'life' or 'living'.
Otherwise, consider a plant which bears the child's name.
Spider

Old 28-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Chris Stewart

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

How about this one, JJ, from Cockers in Aberdeen

http://www.roses.uk.com/
Just Joey Cant 1973
Approx Height: 75cm (2.5 ft)
Slight fragrance
Rare coppery fawn colour. A lovely rose for beds and cutting, spreading
habit

for about a fiver.

Chris S :-)

Old 28-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Spider

Sorry Janet,
The Prunus was your idea, not the oak. Lovely tree, that Prunus; it's on my
wish list.
I also admire David's oak greatly, and would like the rambling estate to go
with it ... that's on my wish list, too! {:-))
Apologies again.
Spider

jayjay wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

My New Baby Bob Williams[_3_] Garden Photos 8 20-06-2009 08:35 AM
Pics of new baby Llama Srgnt Billko Lawns 7 23-10-2006 01:07 AM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
OT, new baby at last Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 14 24-11-2004 09:30 PM
a shrub/tree for a new baby jayjay United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 10:02 PM