Old 26-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Tweed

Default 3 year Old Manure

Here is the link to my poo Pile..:-)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...051&p=67066765

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=67066766&f=0

We had a wee bit of snow today...:-)
I shall take advice...and add a wee bit of sand and some topsoil then add it
into the beds that I will plant all but Root veg...(will put them else
where).

Thanks for the advice :-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

Old 26-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Paul Simonite

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

'Julie',
The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.
Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

In addition, compost the surplus. We compost farmyard manure along with
grass cuttings and kitchen waste - it makes a wonderful compost. We do
have a large garden but we manage to get through a large tractor trailer
load each year. When we first started gardening this place ten years
ago the soil was nothing but a shallow, heavy clay. It now produces
great veg and plenty of soft fruit.

--
Cheers,
Compo

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman there to contradict
him, is he still wrong?

Old 27-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Suz

I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.
[snip]
Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

OMG where about in N Ire?
Can I have some
Suzanne
Belfast

Old 27-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Tweed

Suzanne,
I am in Ballymoney (Dervock actually) There is a small stable near me. I am
sure there are stables in Belfast that would let have at thier piles. It is
an awful long drive for a pile of poo..:-) It is just over 50 miles I think.

It is nice to see another N.I. person here...keep in touch with what you are
growing I would like to know..:-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

Old 27-02-2004, 11:22 PM
NC

Tweed wrote:
Here is the link to my poo Pile..:-)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...051&p=67066765

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=67066766&f=0

We had a wee bit of snow today...:-)
I shall take advice...and add a wee bit of sand and some topsoil then
add it into the beds that I will plant all but Root veg...(will put
them else where).

Good plan.

Worth keeping some back to put in a more concentrated hole in the ground (or
mound above the ground) and grow courgettes, marrows and squash (etc) on it.

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Old 28-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Julie
writes
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am.

No, don't!!!
This ng doesn't accept binaries (ie pics). Find a website to post it on,
and post the url here.

It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 28-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"Paul Simonite" wrote in message
The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

'Julie',
The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.
Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

In addition, compost the surplus.

Surely, what Julie described as a "Huge heap of 3 year old manure" is
alreqady pretty thoroughly composted?

We compost farmyard manure along with
grass cuttings and kitchen waste - it makes a wonderful compost. We do
have a large garden but we manage to get through a large tractor trailer
load each year. When we first started gardening this place ten years
ago the soil was nothing but a shallow, heavy clay. It now produces
great veg and plenty of soft fruit.

Franz

Old 28-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"Paul Simonite" wrote in message
The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

'Julie',
The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.
Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

In addition, compost the surplus.

Surely, what Julie described as a "Huge heap of 3 year old manure" is
alreqady pretty thoroughly composted?

We compost farmyard manure along with
grass cuttings and kitchen waste - it makes a wonderful compost. We do
have a large garden but we manage to get through a large tractor trailer
load each year. When we first started gardening this place ten years
ago the soil was nothing but a shallow, heavy clay. It now produces
great veg and plenty of soft fruit.

Franz

[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
3 year Old Manure Julie United Kingdom 0 25-02-2004 11:16 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM