Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default 3 year Old Manure

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

There is no such thing as the "net police." Unmoderated groups can't
even filter out binary posts. Pictures belong in the various binary
groups established for their display -- binaries.pictures.gardens is
one. Or reference a URL where they can be viewed. It's not at all
"negative" to conserve bandwidth and the time of those with metered
access. It's simple politeness. Allowances are made for the ignorant,
but a kind hint to the uninformed isn't a "negative" comment.

Most servers strip binaries out for delivery of posts to non-binary
newsgroups.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Franz Heymann

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
news
In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Julie
writes
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am.

No, don't!!!
This ng doesn't accept binaries (ie pics). Find a website to post it on,
and post the url here.

I knew the net police would be around as soon as you mentioned posting a
pic. Something I did many moons ago and boy, did the net police come
down on me. Some people enjoy being negative!!

Could it be that you don't understand the situation vis-a-vis graphics files
and newsgroups?
It is not a question of netcops. The problem is that most newshandlers
strip binary attachments from newsgroup items. In principle they are all
supposed to do so, except in the specific cases of *.binary newsgroups.

Franz

Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
John Griffiths

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , John Griffiths
writes
In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Julie
writes
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am.

No, don't!!!
This ng doesn't accept binaries (ie pics). Find a website to post it on,
and post the url here.

I knew the net police would be around as soon as you mentioned posting a
pic. Something I did many moons ago and boy, did the net police come
down on me. Some people enjoy being negative!!

Anyway, enjoy your manure. I know where I would like to put some!

Come off it! A warning to prevent the OP doing something that *will* get
them flamed? Negative? And it wasn't taken as negative by the OP. You're
just being silly.

Come off it yourself. I posted a pic quite innocently and nobody gave
me the benefit of the doubt. I was warned off by my isp, which is one
reason why I rarely use this newsgroup now !! I can do without your
holier than thou attitude!!!
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden U.K. http://www.johngriffiths.net

Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from John Griffiths contains these words:

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Julie
writes
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am.

No, don't!!!
This ng doesn't accept binaries (ie pics). Find a website to post it on,
and post the url here.

I knew the net police would be around as soon as you mentioned posting a
pic. Something I did many moons ago and boy, did the net police come
down on me. Some people enjoy being negative!!

What a pity that in all that time, you have never read the post called
"abc.for newcomers to urg" which is posted every week. It gives exactly
the same advice Kay did.

The urg charter defines it as a non-binary group. That means, it's a
text-only group. Many news servers automatically remove binaries
(pictures)posted to non-binary (text-only) newsgroups. Binary-stripping
at server level is not controlled by the individual poster.

Kay told Julie the standard way to post a picture so that everyone here
who wanted could look it up. Far from being negative, or a netcop, Kay
was offering the best possible, positive assistance.

Janet.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Sacha

John Griffiths1/3/04 6:10

[...]

It's possible that your ISP warned you because it knows that you're not able
to post binaries to non-binary groups, not because anyone here reported you
to your ISP, you know.
It's a shame that you feel that way about urg but I can't help feeling that
we'll get by without your particular attitude and approach. But how strange
that you feel able to do without us but hang around to read the group
nonetheless and post so vituperatively.
Good luck with your gardening.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Tweed

Hi All,

I thought I would post again since it is my thread that has been hijacked.

I was far from offended. I understood the the reason for the post.

I DID however explain that when I said "POST" a photo...I meant via a link.
So anything after that is a mute point. The photo has been "posted" (so to
speak). And now we can all go back to getting along.

I feel there are enough things in this big wide world to worry about other
than newsgroups and posting photos.....

Some of you just need to take advice for face value and assume people are
trying to be helpful.

This sort of bantering and behaviour leaning towards the nasty is something
my kids do...Not grown-ups..

And BEFORE everyone gets mad at me....take this post in the spirit in which
it is meant.

If you want to say anything about my Original Question please do...otherwise
don't.

Thanks
Julie
N.Ireland

Old 02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from John Griffiths contains these words:

Come off it! A warning to prevent the OP doing something that *will* get
them flamed? Negative? And it wasn't taken as negative by the OP. You're
just being silly.

Come off it yourself. I posted a pic quite innocently and nobody gave
me the benefit of the doubt. I was warned off by my isp, which is one
reason why I rarely use this newsgroup now !! I can do without your
holier than thou attitude!!!

Most people who don't know how usenet works and who feel moved to post a
pic *ASK* first, or read the weekly faq. Those who don't, to be quite
blunt, deserve a rap over the knuckles.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Did your ISP not tell you at that time that all newsgroups *except* the
*.bin groups are supposed to be ASCII only?
This question of no graphics files is not something unique to urg.

Franz

Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
3 year Old Manure Julie United Kingdom 0 25-02-2004 11:16 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM