Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Julie

Default 3 year Old Manure

I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire
Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
nambucca

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie

Should be absolutely great .........can we all have some ??????
N.Ire

Old 25-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Tweed

That is what I meant...:-) I know better than to post photo's here.:-) But
thanks for the warning just the same..

Julie
N.Ire
Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am.

No, don't!!!
This ng doesn't accept binaries (ie pics). Find a website to post it on,
and post the url here.

Old 26-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Emrys Davies

'Julie',

The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.

Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

If placed around shrubs it will act as a mulch and the weather will deal
with it.

You could do that every year and gradually your soil will become more
fertile and certainly more pliable.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...

Old 26-02-2004, 09:53 AM
D Russell

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

I would have thought you'd be better off incorporating this manure in some
topsoil, just to spread the load a bit. Alternatively, you could pile a
couple of inches of topsoil on the heap and plant into that.

Just not sure I'd be happy planting directly into a manure heap, even if it
is 3 years old. I'd want to dig it over, or dig it in somewhere. Mix it with
me compost heaps etc. Build raised beds with this and topsoil/compost.

Duncan

Old 26-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Julie) contains these words:

I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Mmmmmmm!

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

Don't post the pic here. Put it on a website and point us to it with the
url - however, most of us know what it will look like.....

Most servers strip out binaries from posts, so no-one will see your pic
- or very few, at best.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

Not sure about the beans and herbs. The carrots are a definite a no-no,
but the rest should have a field day.

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

If in doubt, turn the seed packet over and believe the guidelines.......

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Damn! Can never resist a direct appeal........

Some vegetables are greedy and will thrive on rich soil. Neat (even
well-rotted) manure won't be appreciated by most plants, however.....

As a guide, all cucurbits tend to like more than their fair share.
(True) cauliflowers will grow in neat, unrotted muck, celery likes a
lot, rhubarb, asparagus and others like a surfeit too. (But asparagus
will survive on more-or-less straight sand....)

Beans and peas tend to like plenty of phospate, but have a symbiotic
arrangement with a bacterium which provides a good proportion of their
nitrogen, so I'd avoid giving them too much of the manure.

I've no evidence/knowledge about root vegetables, but I have a gut
feeling that a little, dug into the ground won't harm them, but don't
overdo it. Someone will be along any minute to expand on this....

Onions - don't give them any. IIRC, the idea is to heavily manure the
soil and grow curcurbits, caulis, celery, tomatoes, etc on it the first
year, cabbage, root veg, peas and French beans on it the second, and
onions, sweetcorn and some root veg (radishes, for one) during the third
year.

Runner beans are best treated as a permanent crop: dig a trench and put
manure, old woollens, old leather, bones, etc in the bottom. (Get your
woollens and leather from the leftovers from jumble sales) Infill with
the excavated soil. Since there are few (if any) diseases which attack
runners in this country, you can grow them in the same position year on
year.

Treat rhubarb as the runners, but the trench (pit) needs to be at least
three feet deep, and the experts recommend four - depending on water
table. You can give them as much manure as you like, but the woollens,
leather and bones are important as they release phosphates slowly, and
over a long period.

If you do plant rhubarb, you will be wise if you don't even pull a
single stick during the first year.

HTH

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 26-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Paul Simonite

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

'Julie',
The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.
Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

In addition, compost the surplus. We compost farmyard manure along with
grass cuttings and kitchen waste - it makes a wonderful compost. We do
have a large garden but we manage to get through a large tractor trailer
load each year. When we first started gardening this place ten years
ago the soil was nothing but a shallow, heavy clay. It now produces
great veg and plenty of soft fruit.

--
Cheers,
Compo

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman there to contradict
him, is he still wrong?

Old 26-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Tweed

Here is the link to my poo Pile..:-)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...051&p=67066765

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=67066766&f=0

We had a wee bit of snow today...:-)
I shall take advice...and add a wee bit of sand and some topsoil then add it
into the beds that I will plant all but Root veg...(will put them else
where).

Thanks for the advice :-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

Old 26-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Paul Simonite

[...]

[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
3 year Old Manure Julie United Kingdom 0 25-02-2004 11:16 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM