Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
nambucca

Default Leylandii hedges

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Everything depends on the soil

In my light sandy soil one neighbours Leylandii has roots that spread at
least 10 ft and a good 4 inches thick
The few leylandi we once had sent out roots in all directions to 6 ft and
the roots were at least 3 inches in diameter .......they were one hell of a
job to remove i can tell you

Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
ned

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , A Davis
writes
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can

grow as big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to

ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

It's not the roots you should be worrying about but the bits that

will
fall off it and blow into the water! It's bad enough keeping a path

free
of these 'leaves', but they will ruin the water in your pond

......... 'Sits here, reading this, open mouthed and gob smacked!!!

What sort of leylandii do you have Jane, that drops its foliage (in
sufficient quantities) to pollute a pond?

My pond is sheltered on its North side by two leylandii and the pond
is in a very healthy state with a myriad of wild life. Now, I do
confess to covering the pond while trimming is in progress but for 364
days of the year the pond fends for itself with no problems. No
Problems.

I spend far more time removing the fallen leaves of the Betula pendula
providing summer shade on the South-west side.

What have people got against leylandii?

--
ned

Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges,

One day you or your successor is going to be very sorry about that.

& I am aware that they can grow as big
as you let them.

Franz

Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Franz Heymann

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges,

One day you or your successor is going to be very sorry about that.

& I am aware that they can grow as big
as you let them.

Franz

Leylandii hedges Jeff Bailey United Kingdom 19 08-06-2011 05:10 PM
Leylandii hedges A Davis United Kingdom 0 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
leylandii hedges for 'the chop' Michael Berridge United Kingdom 25 24-10-2003 06:03 PM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM