Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Leylandii hedges

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

It's not the roots you should be worrying about but the bits that

will
fall off it and blow into the water! It's bad enough keeping a path

free
of these 'leaves', but they will ruin the water in your pond

........ 'Sits here, reading this, open mouthed and gob smacked!!!

What sort of leylandii do you have Jane, that drops its foliage (in
sufficient quantities) to pollute a pond?

In strong winds lots of bits of my Leylandii hedges are scattered about
the garden.

My pond is sheltered on its North side by two leylandii and the pond
is in a very healthy state with a myriad of wild life. Now, I do
confess to covering the pond while trimming is in progress but for 364
days of the year the pond fends for itself with no problems. No
Problems.

I spend far more time removing the fallen leaves of the Betula pendula
providing summer shade on the South-west side.

What have people got against leylandii?

Leylandii is as good as its owner.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 03-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from "ned" contains these words:

It's not the roots you should be worrying about but the bits that

will
fall off it and blow into the water! It's bad enough keeping a path

free
of these 'leaves', but they will ruin the water in your pond

........ 'Sits here, reading this, open mouthed and gob smacked!!!

What sort of leylandii do you have Jane, that drops its foliage (in
sufficient quantities) to pollute a pond?

In strong winds lots of bits of my Leylandii hedges are scattered about
the garden.

The gravel paths under our conifers are a mess as is the soil under
other conifers. We can never manage to pick up all the junk that falls
off the trees. Wouldn't like it all to blow into *my* pond
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 PM
martin

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:17:46 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In strong winds lots of bits of my Leylandii hedges are scattered about
the garden.

The gravel paths under our conifers are a mess as is the soil under
other conifers. We can never manage to pick up all the junk that falls
off the trees. Wouldn't like it all to blow into *my* pond

You should see what falling palm fronds do to cars when there is a
gale in Cannes in winter. Something else, that's not mentioned in
guide books.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 03-03-2004, 11:38 PM
nambucca

"ned" wrote in message

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , A Davis
writes
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can

grow as big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to

ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

[...]

Can only assume you clear up every single dry bit of foliage that drops

off your leylandii then because the tons of stuff under some trees i know
that the owner never clears up are causing havoc blowing all over a
neighbours garden

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 PM
ned

Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "ned" contains these words:

snip

What sort of leylandii do you have Jane, that drops its foliage

(in
sufficient quantities) to pollute a pond?

In strong winds lots of bits of my Leylandii hedges are scattered
about the garden.

The gravel paths under our conifers are a mess as is the soil under
other conifers. We can never manage to pick up all the junk that

falls
off the trees. Wouldn't like it all to blow into *my* pond

"Ah", he says, beginning to understand.
I make a virtue of leylandii clippings by using them as a 'woodland
mulch' for top dressing paths. It certainly works to my satisfaction.
The paths have a soft peaty feel. And the clippings degrade over the
course of a year to make a fair substitute for a peaty compost. Oh, I
know there will be claims that it will be too acid - and for some
sensitive plants that may be true. But I have had no significant
disappointments with it.

Regarding Leylandii being windblown over the garden, that is not
something I have ever been concerned by. Mind you, my attention is
firmly focussed on the wind blown ash tree seeds, twigs and branches
that the predominant winds blow off the four ash trees lining the
adjacent farmland. Now that IS a problem! Compared to these,
leylandii are a jewel in the gardners crown. :-))

--
ned

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 PM
ned

nambucca wrote:
"ned" wrote in message

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , A Davis
writes

snip

My pond is sheltered on its North side by two leylandii and the

pond
is in a very healthy state with a myriad of wild life. Now, I do
confess to covering the pond while trimming is in progress but for
364 days of the year the pond fends for itself with no problems. No
Problems.

snip

Can only assume you clear up every single dry bit of foliage that
drops

off your leylandii then because the tons of stuff under some trees i
know that the owner never clears up are causing havoc blowing all
over a neighbours garden

On the contrary. Clearing up leylandii 'droppings' does not feature in
my garden chore list.
Our 20 yr old hedges (about 120 feet of them) are about three feet
thick and dense down to about 12 inches from the ground. And the lawn
grows right up to the hedge line. (Before anyone asks, 8 ft tall by
mutual agreement with neighbour.)

We also have a circa 30 yr old solitary 'specimen' which had 12 feet
lopped off its 40 foot height when it looked likely to be blown over.
Apart from the topping and removing the lower branches to about 6
feet, that has never been trimmed, is much more open, but still does
not shed a significant amount of foliage. Under that one we have
ericas and daffodils in flower now, with monks hood, potentilla,
crocosmia, day lillies, autumn crocus and buddleia to follow on.

No problems.

--
ned

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 PM
ned

Jane Ransom wrote:
[...]

Leylandii hedges Jeff Bailey United Kingdom 19 08-06-2011 05:10 PM
Leylandii hedges A Davis United Kingdom 0 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
leylandii hedges for 'the chop' Michael Berridge United Kingdom 25 24-10-2003 06:03 PM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM