Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
A Davis

Default Leylandii hedges

Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
andrewpreece

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

I have a Leylandii hedge, and a Leylandii tree ( tree is completely brown
since the lack of
rain last year, and me altering the ground around it ) and have not come
across
any significant roots at shallow depths. For instance, I have dug down
around the
tree in a quadrant, at a distance of 2.5 feet and found nothing in the way
of thick
roots down to two feet in depth.

As for the hedge, I have dug down to a depth of 12" at a distance of
4.5 feet or
so from the line of trunks and found no evidence of roots at all. I dug out
a Leylandii
stump and found a few roots heading downwards and outwards, but the overall
impression I get is that the roots do not hug the surface ( substantial ones
anyway ).

As far as I can tell, unless someone here says different, you could
get away with
an 18" deep pond quite close to your hedge, possibly only 2 feet away if
you're feeling
lucky, or 4 feet to be on the safe side. Just my opinion,

Andy.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
AK

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Before planting lleylandii, remember that as of November last year High
hedges are now part of the Antisocial Behaviour Act, so don't allow it to go
over 2 meters or you might just face a £1000 fine and be required to take
action to reduce the size of the hedge!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , A Davis
writes
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

It's not the roots you should be worrying about but the bits that will
fall off it and blow into the water! It's bad enough keeping a path free
of these 'leaves', but they will ruin the water in your pond
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
nambucca

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Everything depends on the soil

In my light sandy soil one neighbours Leylandii has roots that spread at
least 10 ft and a good 4 inches thick
The few leylandi we once had sent out roots in all directions to 6 ft and
the roots were at least 3 inches in diameter .......they were one hell of a
job to remove i can tell you

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
nambucca

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Everything depends on the soil

In my light sandy soil one neighbours Leylandii has roots that spread at
least 10 ft and a good 4 inches thick
The few leylandi we once had sent out roots in all directions to 6 ft and
the roots were at least 3 inches in diameter .......they were one hell of a
job to remove i can tell you

Leylandii hedges Jeff Bailey United Kingdom 19 08-06-2011 05:10 PM
Leylandii hedges A Davis United Kingdom 0 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
leylandii hedges for 'the chop' Michael Berridge United Kingdom 25 24-10-2003 06:03 PM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM