Old 10-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Tomato Seedlings

In message , Alison Johnson
writes
My Gardener's Delight tomato seedlings (growing indoors) are doing well and
have produced a couple of sets of true leaves. Am I supposed to pinch them
or do anything with them, or do I just pot them up and let them get on with
it?

just pot them up and keep them happy :-)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Alison Johnson
writes
My Gardener's Delight tomato seedlings (growing indoors) are doing well and
have produced a couple of sets of true leaves. Am I supposed to pinch them
or do anything with them, or do I just pot them up and let them get on with
it?

Don't pinch them out or feed them at this stage. Pot them up and keep
them growing on without becoming too leggy if you can. Pinching out is
done when side-shoots begin to form in the joints between the main stem
and fruiting stems, or it can be left if you want to grow the plant as a
bush rather than as a cordon. No feed should be given until the first
fruit truss has set, then only if you think there are insufficient
nutrients in the soil.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
[...]

What the professionals do to stop them getting leggy, is to brush them with
your hand a few times a day, this fools them into thinking they are in the
wind so they tend to keep their heads down.

Alan

Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 13-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

What the professionals do to stop them getting leggy, is to brush them with
your hand a few times a day, this fools them into thinking they are in the
wind so they tend to keep their heads down.

It's a very good tip for other seedlings too.

Janet

Old 13-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

What the professionals do to stop them getting leggy, is to brush them with
your hand a few times a day, this fools them into thinking they are in the
wind so they tend to keep their heads down.

It's a very good tip for other seedlings too.

Indeed.

Toms often get a little leggy though, if they ahve done so, when I pot
up I plant them a bit deeper so part of the stem is under the compost.
The stem roots happily into the compost and the plant is less likely to
flop over.

Old 14-03-2004, 04:15 AM
shazzbat

SNIP

Toms often get a little leggy though, if they ahve done so, when I pot
up I plant them a bit deeper so part of the stem is under the compost.
The stem roots happily into the compost and the plant is less likely to
flop over.
--

Now this begs the question I've often wondered about with various types of
plant. How much deeper can things generally be planted without causing other

$64,000 question - how deep is too deep?

Steve.