Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Climbing rose for cold north wall. ideas?

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

--
Tim.

I have always found Alberic Barbier a good choice for tough spots.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Sacha

Tim Challenger12/3/04 11:15
am"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"4fcd866943 8bf8af800dd72691f90569@new
s.teranews.com

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

From David Austin's web site:
Climbers for shady walls North facing or less than 4 hours sun per day:
Albéric Barbier, Ena Harkness Clg, Danse de Feu, Félicité- Perpétue, Golden
Showers, May Queen, Mme Grégoire Staechelin, Mme Legras de St. Germain, Mme
Plantier, Mme Alfred Carriere, Maigold, New Dawn, Mermaid, Veilchenblau.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Alison Johnson

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning,

but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

To add to Sacha's list is Zepherine Drouhin. Climber, lovely heavy scent,
deep rose-pink, repeat flowering, excellent in shade, no thorns. The David
Austin website says this:

"(Bourbon) Although the individual flowers are not particularly fine in
themselves, this is one of the best and most reliable of all climbers. Great
quantities of fragrant, deep rose-pink flowers are produced with exceptional
continuity. It is particularly happy on a north wall and may be grown as a
shrub or for hedges. 12 ft."

Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

You could take a look at one called Alistair Stella Gray. It has
sprays of exquisite double buttery yellow flowers and performs over a
very long period, very hardy and healthy. It is scented but not very
strongly. Mine is growing in a very windy situation, on a cliff
overlooking the sea, on a northfacing trellis erected at the end of a
wind-tunnel.

Janet.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Paul Taylor

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:15:27 +0000, Tim Challenger wrote:

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

I have just completed a search for roses that would do well on a north
facing wall - In the end I went for:

(1) Zepherine Drouhin - 10ft, continuous, scented, OK north facing.

(2) Madame Alfred Carriere - 15ft, continuous flowering, scented, OK north
facing.

Also, I wanted white/pink/purple colours, for which the above two match.
I have just planted them this last week so I don't know how they will
perform. However, I did do a lot of research so I hope that will pay off!

Regards,

Paul.

remove _rem_

Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

Thank you one and all :-)

I had assumed that climbing roses would not do well on a North wall.

Do they also manage O.K. in tubs, or is this pushing my luck too far?

I have a front concrete which is North facing.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. if in tubs I could winter them on the South facing patio.