Old 15-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Soup

Default Worms.

Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

Old 15-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Martin Sykes

"Soup" wrote in message
Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \
www.killies.co.uk/forums/index.php

Worms need some organic matter to mix in. I don't expect they would do much
with raw clay. You might fare better by planting some strong root crops on
it to break up the soil instead. I'm not sure what, but potatos might do the
job well. You shouldn't need to remove the clay as it's usually very rich in
nutrients. You just need to supplement it a bit.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-03-2004, 04:33 AM
nambucca

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
news

"Soup" wrote in message
[...]

you need to pile on all the compost/horse manure etc you can lay hands on

Check that your LA does not recycle all the green waste into free compost
.......many do

Check stables and livery stables etc for free stable manure ......they are
usually only too glad for you to take what you want

Old 16-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Soup" contains these words:

Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

If you can bear to wait, by far the best way to do this is to cover the
area with an inch or two of sand, then a layer of fresh stable manure,
then the stuff which greengrocers throw out - most would give it to you
gladly unless someone else is already having it, then, when you have
built the heap up to (say) two feet high, pile on straw, cardboard,
newspaper etc and cover the lot with old (not artificial fibre though)
carpet, and cap that with a stout sheet of black polythene AND LEAVE IT
FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. (Get the polythene from a builders' merchant.)

The worms will find it, don't you worry, and when you take the polythene
off they will have mixed everything and as good as dug the plot for you
too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Anna Kettle

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:26:16 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

If you can bear to wait, by far the best way to do this is to cover the
area with an inch or two of sand, then a layer of fresh stable manure,
then the stuff which greengrocers throw out - most would give it to you
gladly unless someone else is already having it, then, when you have
built the heap up to (say) two feet high, pile on straw, cardboard,
newspaper etc and cover the lot with old (not artificial fibre though)
carpet, and cap that with a stout sheet of black polythene AND LEAVE IT
FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. (Get the polythene from a builders' merchant.)

Aha! another place I can try to offload my carpet.

Its natural fibre and maybe 40 years old cos it was made in strips.
Its 5m*4m, light blue and in excellent condition so it must have been
expensive when new. No takers yet to use it as a carpet with period
character, so its up for grabs for any one who wants to use it to make
a thing like this description, or to line a fishpond. Failing that it
will go to the tip next week.

A bit far away for the OP though cos I' m near Bury St Edmunds,
Suffolk

Anna

--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation

Old 17-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Soup
writes
Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

If you have a look at our faqs (frequently asked questions) you will
find one that deals with clay soil.

//www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgrsrce.htm
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.