Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Franz Heymann

Default OT Civilised World?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Hunt wrote:
Thanks Nick, this is very interesting.

What you say confirms what Franz was saying about many

African countries in
the first place.

Do I take it from what you write that you are comparing

the current
situation in the Palestinian territories to that in the

REST of Africa,
rather than in South Africa . . . ?

"Don't regard the situations as similar"

No, because African injustices over the past 50 years have

varied
from the negligible to as bad as the Nazis. What I am

saying is
that apartheid in South Africa was never as systematic a

repression
as was made out by the UK propaganda, and that the

repression was
never anywhere near as bad as is being visited on the

Palestinians.

True, but the situation in SA was an exploitation of the
black people, and a positive prevention of allowing them to
acquire either skills or education beyond the bare minimum.

Franz

Old 23-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| Not so much a miracle as the simultaneous realisation by
| Mandela and de Klerk of the only possible civilised way
| forward.

I count that as pretty miraculous! It was pretty surprising when
Smith did that in Rhodesia, but the situation was a lot clearer
and the positions were a lot less entrenched. I really did NOT
expect de Klerk to be so courageous - or to get away with it,
without political assassination by his colleagues.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" writes:

| Not so much a miracle as the simultaneous realisation

by
| Mandela and de Klerk of the only possible civilised way
| forward.

I count that as pretty miraculous! It was pretty

surprising when
Smith did that in Rhodesia, but the situation was a lot

clearer
and the positions were a lot less entrenched. I really

did NOT
expect de Klerk to be so courageous - or to get away with

it,
without political assassination by his colleagues.

Yes. Although with the exception of the real diehards, the
ruling party had begun to realise that they were reaching
the end of the road, and most were probably quite relieved
that de Klerk was willing to take the chance of negotiating
with the ANC leadership. Most of my family, strong
Nationalist Party supporters, accepted that de Klerk did the
wise thing.
Unfortunately, some of them still do not realise what a long
trek it will be before the real benefits of the changeover
become manifest.

Franz

Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Franz Heymann

Old 24-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Franz Heymann

Old 24-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Franz Heymann

Old 24-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Franz Heymann

Old 24-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" writes:

| Not so much a miracle as the simultaneous realisation

by
| Mandela and de Klerk of the only possible civilised way
| forward.

I count that as pretty miraculous! It was pretty

surprising when
Smith did that in Rhodesia, but the situation was a lot

clearer
and the positions were a lot less entrenched. I really

did NOT
expect de Klerk to be so courageous - or to get away with

it,
without political assassination by his colleagues.

Yes. Although with the exception of the real diehards, the
ruling party had begun to realise that they were reaching
the end of the road, and most were probably quite relieved
that de Klerk was willing to take the chance of negotiating
with the ANC leadership. Most of my family, strong
Nationalist Party supporters, accepted that de Klerk did the
wise thing.
Unfortunately, some of them still do not realise what a long
trek it will be before the real benefits of the changeover
become manifest.

Franz

civilised spam? shazzbat United Kingdom 5 14-05-2004 11:05 AM
OT Civilised World? David Hill United Kingdom 0 20-03-2004 10:32 AM
AD: Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 04-03-2003 12:15 AM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM