Old 29-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Rosie

Default Replacing bird habitat?

A housing development is removing loads of 20 year-old (ish) trees from
behind my house. What are the best things I can plant to replace this lost
habitat? What's the best way of going about it?

ROSIE

Old 29-03-2004, 10:04 PM
David Hill

"..........A housing development is removing loads of 20 year-old (ish)
trees from behind my house. What are the best things I can plant to replace
this lost habitat? ......."

What sort of trees are they and what are they a habitat for?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Rosie

David Hill wrote:
What sort of trees are they and what are they a habitat for?

I think they are a mix of sycamore and some large evergreen laurel type
thing.

Birds I think are blackbirds and tits.

Not exactly an expert on either. : /

ROSIE

Old 29-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rosie" wrote in message
A housing development is removing loads of 20 year-old (ish) trees from
behind my house. What are the best things I can plant to replace this

lost
habitat? What's the best way of going about it?

ROSIE

Leave spaces in your roof for sparrows to nest? I doubt 20 year old trees
produce much habitat for birds, probably if a reasonable proportion of
people in those new houses put out food for birds, or just leave scraps
lying around, there will be a richer habitat for birds than previously.
Almost certainly if they do it in the winter time when the trees provide no
food and little shelter.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 29-03-2004, 11:18 PM
David Hill

"...........I think they are a mix of sycamore and some large evergreen
laurel type thing ...."

No great loss except as perching places.
You could plant Hawthorn, Crab apple, shrub roses

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Rosie

David Hill wrote:
No great loss except as perching places.
You could plant Hawthorn, Crab apple, shrub roses

Thanks!

I might get a couple of Hawthorn.

ROSIE