Old 10-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale?

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

This sounds doubtful if subjected to logical analysis anyway - my 2p theory
is that more berries means a good summer, and good summers (lots of high
pressure and clear skies) are often followed by hard winters (lots of high
pressure and clear skies).

Lots of berries at the end of a summer means that in the previous
summer/autumn, the plant was able to lay down good reserves of energy
with which to produce masses of flowers and then fruit the following
year.

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

In the UK at least, there is no correlation between good summers and
succeeding, or preceding, hard winters. Indeed, we don't seem to get
hard winters any more!

You will always find a correlation of some sort if you look hard enough.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Malcolm

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

This sounds doubtful if subjected to logical analysis anyway - my 2p theory
is that more berries means a good summer, and good summers (lots of high
pressure and clear skies) are often followed by hard winters (lots of high
pressure and clear skies).

Lots of berries at the end of a summer means that in the previous
summer/autumn, the plant was able to lay down good reserves of energy
with which to produce masses of flowers and then fruit the following
year.

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

In the UK at least, there is no correlation between good summers and
succeeding, or preceding, hard winters. Indeed, we don't seem to get
hard winters any more!

You will always find a correlation of some sort if you look hard enough.

Not ones that are necessarily meaningful.

--
Malcolm
Old 11-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Malcolm

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Interesting. How does it achieve this and have you seen examples?

--
Malcolm
Old 11-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Sacha

Malcolm11/4/04 3:53

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Interesting. How does it achieve this and have you seen examples?

Yes. Oak trees during the 1976 drought produced masses more acorns than
usual; our Eucryphia amazed us by blooming profusely in January. We
wondered if it was too early or too late - wrong on both counts. It was
dead a couple of months later. The abundance of flower/fruits is to ensure
survival of the species.
You will often see recommendations to keep plants in pots or situations
where roots are restricted, for example. This is because it causes them to
fruit or flower better. A lot of people recommend such treatment for fig
trees, for example.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
MissJuggs

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:19:38 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

A lot of people recommend such treatment for fig
trees, for example.

Also amaryllis and agapanthus.

Glenys

Trying to lurk, honest.

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Interesting. How does it achieve this and have you seen examples?

Radishes going to seed?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot

of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been

able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of

energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Why then do we water and feed our plants so assiduously?
Why don't we just garden exclusively with plants which give their best
only when they are neglected to the point of dying?

Franz

Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
MissJuggs

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:11:50 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Why then do we water and feed our plants so assiduously?
Why don't we just garden exclusively with plants which give their best
only when they are neglected to the point of dying?

Not all plants work like this. We often maintain those plants which
can be maintained in a condition of stress, without killing or
seriously weakening them, in that condition of stress as normal.
Amaryllis, for example, flower much better in very small pots, under
conditions in which other plants would be described as horribly root
bound. Other plants may flower better under conditions of stress, but
those stresses kill them, and if they flower reasonably well without
stress, then they might as well not be stressed.

Glenys

Old 13-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Interesting. How does it achieve this and have you seen examples?

Well known phenomenon.

Old 13-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:
wrote:

A lot of people recommend such treatment for fig
trees, for example.

Also amaryllis and agapanthus.

Glenys

Trying to lurk, honest.

Come into the potting shed and park yourself on that old sack of
hardened cement I borrowed from Another Place.

Cup of tea?

Old 13-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:

(sig)

"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
called Newsweek magazine a threat to world peace." Jay Leno

Which as we all know is being sown this spring like there is no tomorrow......

Old 13-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot

of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been

able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of

energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Why then do we water and feed our plants so assiduously?
Why don't we just garden exclusively with plants which give their best
only when they are neglected to the point of dying?

You might, I couldn't possibly comment on why.

But just think - if you stressed everything in your garden beyond its
limits, you'd have a new garden each year and an empty bank balance.

Old 13-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Malcolm

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Much more likely that late frosts in the spring didn't kill a lot of the
blooms or retard activity of pollinating insects.

But they are just secondary factors. The plant has to have been able to
produce the blooms in the first place, i.e. from its reserves of energy,
before there is anything for frosts or insects to affect.

Not so. When a plant/tree/shrub is badly stressed and 'thinks' it's
dying, it often produces an abundance of bloom.

Interesting. How does it achieve this and have you seen examples?

Well known phenomenon.

Which is hardly an answer to my questions :-(

--
Malcolm

Heaps under trees - is this an old wives' tale? Another John United Kingdom 11 08-05-2015 03:03 PM
"Old Wives Tales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!! Bob-tx[_2_] Lawns 0 20-12-2010 05:16 PM
"Old Wives Tales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!! MICHELLE H. Gardening 13 30-10-2010 09:51 PM
Old Wives Tales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!! MICHELLE H. Lawns 2 21-10-2010 01:40 AM
Old Wives and Cultivators Paul England United Kingdom 9 25-11-2002 01:30 AM