Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Heather

Default Is this blanket weed?

Having inherited a 20'x 8' pond plus fish with my new house and
knowing next to nothing about pond care, I am wondering about some
weed that has appeared.

I've read all the stuff about how to get rid of blanket weed but am
not sure if this what I've got!

This weed is growing all over the sides and bottom of the pond (the
pond is fibreglass) and looks a bit like an extra-long green shag
pile carpet (that sounds silly, but it does look EXACTLY like that!)
Actually it's not unattractive! It is firmly attached to the sides
although it comes away easily if pulled. It is not spreading across
the pond surface or anything like that.

Does this sound like blanket weed to people or is it something esle?
If the latter then should I remove it? (not an easy job as the pond is
4'deep in the middle and has about 45 fish in it!)

Thanks for your thoughts

Heather
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If it is green, healthy, and not causing a problem (and 45 fish are probably
not wrong) then I would leave it alone :-)

Doesn't sound like blanket weed anyway.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Heather" wrote in message
Having inherited a 20'x 8' pond plus fish with my new house and
knowing next to nothing about pond care, I am wondering about some
weed that has appeared.

I've read all the stuff about how to get rid of blanket weed but am
not sure if this what I've got!

This weed is growing all over the sides and bottom of the pond (the
pond is fibreglass) and looks a bit like an extra-long green shag
pile carpet (that sounds silly, but it does look EXACTLY like that!)
Actually it's not unattractive! It is firmly attached to the sides
although it comes away easily if pulled. It is not spreading across
the pond surface or anything like that.

Does this sound like blanket weed to people or is it something esle?
If the latter then should I remove it? (not an easy job as the pond is
4'deep in the middle and has about 45 fish in it!)

Blanket weed is exactly like thin green hair but I would not have expected
it to be growing well yet, it prefers a bit of warmth and sun to really get
under way. It may well be the start of it though.
To grow it needs nutrients so if you have lots of proper plants in your pond
especially water lilies for shade, and keep your pond bottom clean you
should minimise your risk, however if you top up with Nitrate laced tap
water watch out.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Cumberpach

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Heather" wrote in message
Having inherited a 20'x 8' pond plus fish with my new house

snip
Does this sound like blanket weed to people or is it something esle?
If the latter then should I remove it? (not an easy job as the pond is
4'deep in the middle and has about 45 fish in it!)

Blanket weed is exactly like thin green hair but I would not have expected
it to be growing well yet, it prefers a bit of warmth and sun to really

get
under way. It may well be the start of it though.
To grow it needs nutrients so if you have lots of proper plants in your

pond
especially water lilies for shade, and keep your pond bottom clean you
should minimise your risk, however if you top up with Nitrate laced tap
water watch out.

Yep, the blanket weed has started in my ornamental feature but not in my
pond -- yet.
My pond is completely covered with some native-species floating plant. I
would rec investing in some as they provide early shade, before the lilly
pads make an appearance.
I would try googling up 'uk aquatic plant suppliers' (+ links), although it
may take a couple of seasons to get a complete cover.

Pete

Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Bob Hobden

Pete wrote in message
Yep, the blanket weed has started in my ornamental feature but not in my
pond -- yet.
My pond is completely covered with some native-species floating plant. I
would rec investing in some as they provide early shade, before the lilly
pads make an appearance.
I would try googling up 'uk aquatic plant suppliers' (+ links), although

it
may take a couple of seasons to get a complete cover.

That's Ok unless you want to see your fish, which is the purpose of my pond,
so I constantly skim off any floating stuff on my pond.
A large bush to shade the pond from direct sunlight would also help although
it would not be good for your waterlillies which must have sun to flower
well. Interpet do a Pond Tonic salts which is supposed to help prevent the
growth of this weed and it also helps the fish's health at the same time,
seems to work as we didn't have a problem with blanketweed last year despite
the sun/warmth.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Heather
writes
Having inherited a 20'x 8' pond plus fish with my new house and
knowing next to nothing about pond care, I am wondering about some
weed that has appeared.

I've read all the stuff about how to get rid of blanket weed but am
not sure if this what I've got!

This weed is growing all over the sides and bottom of the pond (the
pond is fibreglass) and looks a bit like an extra-long green shag
pile carpet (that sounds silly, but it does look EXACTLY like that!)
Actually it's not unattractive! It is firmly attached to the sides
although it comes away easily if pulled.

Yep - it's a type of blanket weed.
Get hold of some tadpoles - they love the stuff and will chomp away on
it until your surface cover plants are big enough to provide some
protection from sunlight
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
Having inherited a 20'x 8' pond plus fish with my new house and
knowing next to nothing about pond care, I am wondering about some
weed that has appeared.

I've read all the stuff about how to get rid of blanket weed but am
not sure if this what I've got!

This weed is growing all over the sides and bottom of the pond (the
pond is fibreglass) and looks a bit like an extra-long green shag
pile carpet (that sounds silly, but it does look EXACTLY like that!)
Actually it's not unattractive! It is firmly attached to the sides
although it comes away easily if pulled. It is not spreading across
the pond surface or anything like that.

Does this sound like blanket weed to people or is it something esle?
If the latter then should I remove it? (not an easy job as the pond

is
4'deep in the middle and has about 45 fish in it!)

Yes, I think that is blanket weed. If not kept under control it can
take the whole pond over in time. They say that submerging a few
handfuls of barley straw, obtainable at fish shops, in the water
spells the end of the algae. However, I would be inclined to suggest
that you should take out as much as you can by hand, before trying the
straw treatment.

Franz

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Heather

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Unfortunately the taddies in this pond get eaten because of the fish

I have a second (fishless) pond with loads of frogspawn and no weed...

The first pond does get quite a bit of sunlight before the leaves get
on the trees and the water lilies. Unfortunately the previous people
were koi keepers and had virtually no other plants - I will be
improving this situation this Spring/Summer. (anyone recommend a good
online source for ordering water plants?)

I have scraped some weed out - quite difficult to get much out without
either falling in or going for a wade/swim in the pond! I have topped
up a few times with nasty tap water - had to because of leaks before I
disconnected the leaky water feature that was dribbling water all over
the flower bed next to the pond without me realising.

Had also unplugged the magnetic "aqua-mate" device attached to the
filter inlet before I read about this possibly helping to reduce weed
in the pond. Have now reconnected this and we'll see if it helps.

45 fish - some of whom are quite large do produce lots of "nutrients"
(what a polite word for fish poo!) so I have also cleaned out the
filter (totally disgusting job and I think the only job in the garden
for which I have ever worn rubber gloves!) which may help.

If anyone in striking distance of Devizes, Wilts would like some koi
(not valuable I am told but quite attractive in their own way) or some
large goldfish and what I think might be orfe (or they might just be
thin goldfish!) and can collect - then they are free to a good home!

Heather
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Heather

[...]

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM