Old 12-04-2004, 10:35 AM
JohnQ

Default Hedge Thickening (Help Please)

I have a deciduous hedge (unsure of type I'm afraid) which is about four
feet tall and comprised of roughly thirty or so plants round the edge of my
front garden. The stems of these plants are up to two inches across which
means there is a lot of stem/branch but not a great deal of leaves so they
look thin and scraggy. We have only been here about a year and it seems
that the hedge hasn't been looked after properly.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to thicken it up? If I planted box (or
similar) inbetween what is there already would it help, or would it just
look messy?

All advice gratefully acknowledged.

--
******JohnQ******

Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
nick gray

"JohnQ" wrote in message
I have a deciduous hedge (unsure of type I'm afraid) which is about four
feet tall and comprised of roughly thirty or so plants round the edge of

my
front garden. The stems of these plants are up to two inches across which
means there is a lot of stem/branch but not a great deal of leaves so they
look thin and scraggy. We have only been here about a year and it seems
that the hedge hasn't been looked after properly.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to thicken it up? If I planted box

(or
similar) inbetween what is there already would it help, or would it just
look messy?

All advice gratefully acknowledged.

--
******JohnQ******

Hi John,

Without knowing what type of hedge it's difficult to give detailed
information (post a picture on the web somewhere and give us the URL, I'm
sure someone will be able to identify it, try to post a picture when the
hedge is in leaf). With most hedge types regular pruning, shaping and
feeding will encourage the thickening up of the foliage.

Box is pretty slow growing, and if you were to plant 4ft specimens it would
cost you a fortune. It's probably best to find out what you've got growing
at the moment and then come back here to get suggestions for companion
hedging plants.

HTH

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 12-04-2004, 07:10 PM
JohnQ

--
******JohnQ******
"nick gray" wrote in message

"JohnQ" wrote in message
[...]

Nick - thanks for your reply. I believe that I have hornbeam mainly - and
this is what is too thin, but I also have holly dotted around the place and
in one bit I have Forsythia (which is doing very well, thank you). The
hornbeam kept its brown leaves all winter but is really looking a bit
emaciated just now. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Gray

snipped

Nick - thanks for your reply. I believe that I have hornbeam mainly - and
this is what is too thin, but I also have holly dotted around the place

and
in one bit I have Forsythia (which is doing very well, thank you). The
hornbeam kept its brown leaves all winter but is really looking a bit
emaciated just now. Hope this helps.

Hi John,

Not sure if you need/want to reduce the height or depth of your hedge, but
both hornbeam and holly respond well to renovation, it's a bit late to do it
now, it's best to do this in December / January when the trees are dormant.
When you do come to renovate, you can prune back hard, but it's best to do
it in stages, say the top and front of the hedge one year, the back of the
hedge the following year.

For now sprinkle some growmore around the base of each tree, and or spread
compost to give them some food and water well in dry spells.

HTH.

Cheers

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 13-04-2004, 12:14 AM
David Hill

If you want to thicken your hedge then if you can get a load of Lonicera
nitida cuttings (about 9 to 12 inches long) early October then remove the
top inch or so from them, strip the leaves off the bottom 6 inches then
stick them into the bottom of the hedge about 6inches deep and 6 inches
apart, you can always do this on both sides of the hedge.
Not all will take but you should have enough that root to help fill your
hedge quite quickly.
I did this with a hawthorn hedge 4 years ago and about 70% rooted and grew,
I now have a good thick, hedge with enough of a barrier to stop anything
coming through (Except cats, foxes and badgers).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-04-2004, 08:33 AM
nambucca

"nick gray" wrote in message

"JohnQ" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe its Beech .........this would look bare right now but will soon be

back in leaf

As you say trying to plant anything in between is difficult
I would suggest pyracantha but do it in the autumn as it will need winter
rains to get established ,,,,,,,,any heat this summer would kill it