Old 29-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Big Dave

Default lawn thickening

Hello. A couple of months ago I laid grass seed down and made a lawn. The
grass seed didn't take too well (more than likely my fault) anyway, I am
left with one or two very thinned out areas. I have put some more seed down
and sort of raked it in, but not much happening. Is there a lawn feed that
causes grass to multiply and thicken out?

sorry for the thick question, but this gardening lark is new to me.

dave

Old 29-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Emrys Davies

It is important that you keep the planted area moist with a fine spray
until the new grass is well established. Also, make sure that the birds
are not taking your seed.

Do not feed the area for about 12 months.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Big Dave

Thankyou for the reply. It isn't birds because we have 2 cats, and
neighbours are all cat owners!!

I think I am being too mean with the water!

cheers, dave

Old 30-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

Probably the lack of water. I would wait until the weather starts to cool
off (Autumn) and then seed and water regularly (every evening unless it
rains!). The golden rule is water soft and long so that the water soaks in
instead of heavy and little, which tends to run away or just evaporate.

BTW, if you think lots of cats keep the birds away, you haven't met our
local wood pigeons ;-).

Paul DS.